Hacking Do you think the 3DS could handle a gamecube emulator ?

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
A few games, like crazy taxi, should run full speed with a gs4, from what i understand. There may still be some bugs preventing it from running that fast right now, but once they are worked out it should. Pretty much anything else though is still years away from being possible to emulate at reasonable speeds on ARM.

I have an Iconia Tab A700, it has a quad 1.2ghz cpu and the Tegra 3 GPU. I wonder what it could run, besides just a couple games I've never tried to see what it could do.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Uh huh, yeah, Throw a A8 on a flashcart (or even a lesser chip) or some intel equivalent onto a that size of PCB, and cool it? It's not just a power supply problem, its a size problem. If you think in three years, that we can fit hardware that can emulate a GameCube (most games at full speed, I'm not even gonna talk about some of the more intense games), let alone a Wii, onto a fPGA flashcart, and have enough power to keep it running, and not exploding from the heat, and keep it going for more than minutes (over an hour), then your dilutional. Even the Android version of Dolphin that's in development right now can't achieve more than a few FPS because smartphones don't even have the sophisticated opengl libraries that x86 machines (this will however be alleviated quite a bit when Tegra 4 comes out according to the devs. However, to do anything really worth while, ARM is gonna have to get a lot better, and those technologies will either be too expensive to put on something as small as a Flashcart (if the 3DS is even hacked by then, mind you) or practically impossible.

This post is directed at anyone who thinks that having a cart like the DSTwo for the 3DS can achieve GC emulation, not just you Ziver.

I don't think it's out, but I'll check. One major reason that its THAT SLOW is that it is currently relying on a software renderer, and chips like the Tegra 4 will have newer and better OpenGL ES libraries to get a good renderer going. However, you'll still need good amount of CPU horse power to do anything with that renderer blackens.

There're people who believe this....? 0.o
Not in 3, not even in 5 will see this.

Unless someone invent some Cooling system INSIDE the CPU/APU or OnBoard

I have an Iconia Tab A700, it has a quad 1.2ghz cpu and the Tegra 3 GPU. I wonder what it could run, besides just a couple games I've never tried to see what it could do.

I have a HTC One with Quad-core 1.7 GHz and I can't emulate N64 or PSX 100%

TheHomesk1llet

Also known as "Kupo"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, it can't possibly run gamecube games, at least not at full speed. We all know that the 3DS runs games at graphics and sometimes framerates better than the Wii, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more powerful than the Wii. The 3DS uses its own custom made parts, and basically what it does is run games at a lower resolution at less powerful graphics that are made for the games and resolution so that it can run games with the better graphics. It creates the illusion that it's more powerful, but note that despite the improved resolution from the DS and DSi systems, you can still see each individual pixel. It's probably less than 300 pixels wide, and much less tall.

For a real life example, compare running a graphics intensive game on all high settings using your monitor's native resolution, and then try playing it using a resolution 640x480 or smaller. Note the difference in framerate. The main difference between the Wii and 3DS is power, of which the 3DS is severely lacking. That's why it can't run Gamecube games.

As for N64, I'd give that a maybe. N64 isn't very demanding, and my computer from the early 90s can run N64 games at over 100fps, and it's a home computer.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
3ds is 320x240 lower screen and 800x240 upper screen which is 400x240 in 2d mode.

agreed with comments, gc is impossible most possibly N64 too. even if N64 is possible compatibility would be low. the funny thing about N64 emulation is that, if you have a high end pc you can probably play a higher percentage of game library of wii and gc than N64.

i really hope for psx emulation though. with the cpp and the extra analog stick and shoulder buttons, i am ready to enjoy myself a few psx classics.

TheHomesk1llet

Also known as "Kupo"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds is 320x240 lower screen and 800x240 upper screen which is 400x240 in 2d mode.

agreed with comments, gc is impossible most possibly N64 too. even if N64 is possible compatibility would be low. the funny thing about N64 emulation is that, if you have a high end pc you can probably play a higher percentage of game library of wii and gc than N64.

i really hope for psx emulation though. with the cpp and the extra analog stick and shoulder buttons, i am ready to enjoy myself a few psx classics.

Yeah, doubt psx will be possible if N64 isn't. I'm sure we'd all like to play some Parappa the Rapper, though.

Amazing game.

TheHomesk1llet

Also known as "Kupo"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
time to buy a psp then. it is sad that psp is still the only handheld device which can emulate psx properly. (i am not counting vita)

Yeah, it is. I've emulated Parappa the Rapper on that before I found out that there's a PSP version. It plays just like on a PS1, and there's a piece of software out there that can let you create your own software image and title, even background animation. I forgot what it's called, though.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know almost nothing about virtualization (that's probably the completely wrong term, but I know it's not emulate lol) but can anyone who knows more about the process explain why a GC->3DS thing is or isn't feasible similarly to how the PSP can do PS1 games?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I know almost nothing about virtualization (that's probably the completely wrong term, but I know it's not emulate lol) but can anyone who knows more about the process explain why a GC->3DS thing is or isn't feasible similarly to how the PSP can do PS1 games?
PSP and PS1 both use MIPS cpu, therefore emulation wouldn't take too much power. GC uses PPC while 3DS uses ARM so it would took alot of extra power to translate code between the two.

RachelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP and PS1 both use MIPS cpu, therefore emulation wouldn't take too much power. GC uses PPC while 3DS uses ARM so it would took alot of extra power to translate code between the two.
It really still does. There's much more to emulation than just translating instructions. Of course this does help, but not nearly as much as you might expect. Even if the 3ds was ppc, it still couldn't emulate a gc at anywhere near full speed. The biggest difference is that the ps1 uses much simpler hardware.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

The PlayStation had a MIPS processor just like the PSP and those processors appear to be cross-compatible to an extent. You can use a part of the CPU's processing power to "virtualize" a PlayStation processor wheras the rest of the processing power can be used to make up for the differences between them.

The Gamecube runs on a PowerPC derrivative, the 3DS has an ARM CPU - they have completely different instruction sets and you just have to resort to emulation. The 3DS doesn't have enough juice to do that though. In fact, I doubt that it'd have enough juice to even virtualize the Gamecube if the two processors were compatible - the PSP is several times more powerful than the PlayStation and yet the compatibility isn't perfect and you can experience performance drops every now and then.

More on Virtualization and its various types can be read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization

Reactions: 2ndApex
P

pasc

These topics always remind me of aliens:

Where do they come from ?
What do they want from us ?
And how the h**l did they find their way here ?

Seriously.

Its like asking how a test will be that you will write 10 years from now, no one knows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative