Is there a portable hardware emulator that handles 3DS and GameCube games?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are there any dual-screen emulators that are powerful enough to handle GameCube games, or single screens that have a screen ratio that can handle 3ds games?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aw, could at least link my post on it ;O;
https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-brief-hands-on-with-asus-latest-dual-screen-laptop.645973/

As for the question asked by the OP, there's some decent options either already out or coming soon. If you want a Windows handheld, the upcoming AYANEO Flip DS will definitely be able to handle both GameCube and 3DS and comes with a small second screen that will hopefully make playing 3DS that bit better.

If you don't care about Windows, you could definitely look into the Surface Duo too. The Surface Duo 1 doesn't have perfect GameCube or 3DS compatibility from memory since it's just got a SD855 inside, but it does do well enough. It has no issues playing Pokemon Colosseum on the GC side and Ocarina of Time 3D on the 3DS side at least. It's pretty affordable at this point, but your big struggle will be finding a controller to go with it that's really comfortable. Worth noting the Surface Duo 2 is also a thing and is basically the same package with a better CPU (a SD888 iirc).

Looking at the single-screen options, you have a huge amount that can play GameCube and 3DS, especially if you're willing to settle for having "Swap Screen" mapped to a button. I found it pretty easy to play a lot of games like this, but I do understand it not being for everybody. The KT-R1 has probably become my favourite device in this niche, but it should be noted that it is expensive for what it is, and definitely isn't perfect in either being able to play the full 3DS/GC library or in its build quality. The big perk that carries it is a 3:2 aspect ratio screen though. You get minimal black bars on 4:3 content and have enough buttons available to have one spare for the "Swap Screen" function I was talking about. 3:2 is also a perfect aspect ratio if you wanted to rotate the device and have both DS screens visible, but with the screen being 4.something inches it's probably a bit small for that.

In the future the iPad Mini 6 might be exactly what you want thanks again to a 3:2 screen (this time in a more workable size for both DS screens). It already has a pretty great DS emulator in Delta, as well as a Dolphin port, but you're restricted by how awkward sideloading is at the moment. 3DS emulation is also coming along on iOS but I don't think it's quite there yet.

For other dual-screen devices on the market, you can also look into the current Zenbook/Zephyrus Duos with their ultrawide second screens. I think that's all the major players at the moment (Lenovo do have a double screen laptop but it's a good chunk more expensive than the upcoming ASUS one so I'd probably wait on reviews for the ASUS before deciding if that was the route you wanted).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the Mister is cool and all, but honestly I have seen some video's exploring the...