NDS Bootloader FF4

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I go to play Final Fantasy IV, sometimes there is screen tearing on the top screen and I have to exit the game and reload it. When this happens there is also double text.

Going to the home menu and restarting my game seems to fix this issue until it happens again.

Does the 3DS emulate an NDS when using NDSbootloader, or is there actual NDS hardware in the new 3ds to play the games without emulation?

Is there any benefit to getting a flashcard? I already own the Acecard 3ds X, but I have only used it for modding and I am not sure if it is worth restoring its functionality.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ndsbootstrap is not perfect and is subject to minor and/or major issues (like you described) due to hardware virtualization (similar to Nintendont).

If you want near-perfect gameplay, use a flashcart, as that does not virtualize the DS hardware the same way ndsbootstrap does.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ndsbootstrap is not perfect and is subject to minor and/or major issues (like you described) due to hardware virtualization (similar to Nintendont).

If you want near-perfect gameplay, use a flashcart, as that does not virtualize the DS hardware the same way ndsbootstrap does.
What does virtualize mean? Does that mean emulated?

If I don't have to spend more money I would rather not. I just want to understand the differences.

Also this is happening with every game so it wasn't a bad rom.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does virtualize mean? Does that mean emulated?
Not really "emulate" per se, but it's not exactly the same as the real hardware.

It's a similar concept (although not exactly the same) as to running a virtual machine on a computer. Or like Nintendont for the Wii and Wii U.

Most of the original hardware is there, but you need to create bridges to reconnect them, and those bridges aren't exactly always accurate to the original hardware.

Reactions: InsaneNutter

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really "emulate" per se, but it's not exactly the same as the real hardware.

It's a similar concept (although not exactly the same) as to running a virtual machine on a computer. Or like Nintendont for the Wii and Wii U.

Most of the original hardware is there, but you need to create bridges to reconnect them, and those bridges aren't exactly always accurate to the original hardware.
But if I run from flashcard is there original hardware present in the 3ds like the ps3 60gb that had ps2 hardware inside?

I have this flash cart but I only use it to mod systems. Is there anything that needs to be flashed to use it normally? Is it possible to use it for both modding and playing ds games?

https://gbatemp.net/review/ace3dsx.667/

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if I run from flashcard is there original hardware present in the 3ds like the ps3 60gb that had ps2 hardware inside?

I have this flash cart but I only use it to mod systems. Is there anything that needs to be flashed to use it normally? Is it possible to use it for both modding and playing ds games?

https://gbatemp.net/review/ace3dsx.667/
Sure, if ran from a flashcart it'll run pretty much the same as the DS.

ndsbootstrap does some software hacks to load games from the SD card and "virtual hardware" enhancements, which won't always work well.

With the Ace3DS X, you should just be able to drop the flashcart firmware files onto the micro SD card and flip the switch to DS mode. afaik you don't drop any files onto the micro SD card for 3DS mode / ntrboot and it only needs to be inserted, for this particular flashcart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: