Hacking Do you need to wires or the jig to get in rcm mode in future?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You boot into RCM, and then from there load the exploit (which in turn will load CFW in the future) via a tethered connection to a USB host.
<=3.0.0 can launch into RCM without the jig or any hardmod, but will still require the USB host to send the exploit (ie a computer).
You will need that every time you reboot/shutdown the system to load back into cfw.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You will need that every time you reboot/shutdown the system to load back into cfw.

And you will need a USB connection to a PC (or a powered "device" that can run scripts) until something like this happens: :)
Yes but once in RCM you still need your computer to run the exploit and boot the system right ?
For now until I figure out what variant of Spectre I need to use to get the kexploit I'm working on working.

Last edited by notimp,

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my understanding every firmware will get cfw... the only thing that changes is the ease of use. the lower you are the easier it is. ( dont need jig for example )

D

Deleted-355425

To my understanding every firmware will get cfw... the only thing that changes is the ease of use. the lower you are the easier it is. ( dont need jig for example )

Yup 1.0.0 to 4.1 has potential for untethered launch at the moment.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
<=3.0.0 can launch into RCM without the jig or any hardmod, but will still require the USB host to send the exploit (ie a computer).

3.0.0 will have a software trigger from OFW to boot into RCM, with later versions to follow.

All FW will be able to wipe out the boot loader to force into RCM on every coldboot, you still need to tether but you can use a modchip for that.

I suspect the boot loader wiping will come as a fusee gelee module, so one time you will need to trigger RCM either from software 3.0.0 or below, or ground the pins and push some buttons.

Yup 1.0.0 to 4.1 has potential for untethered launch at the moment.

Not with fusee gelee. I suspect people will hold onto their untethered coldboot exploits for a while though.

Or wait for the TX modchip which they claim is untethered.

It's still tethered, just to a device smaller than a PC.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: kombos

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is the basic misunderstanding people are having currently. CFW, cant just simply be "installed over OFW" and ran by the Switch on boot - without exploiting the Switch first, after every reboot/cold boot.

Reason is simple. We dont have the keys to sign the CFW as if it would be "real Nintendo firmware", so the Switch wont allow you to "just install it" over OFW.

And even if you would trick the flasher subroutine into writing a CFW on to the Switches internal nand, it then wouldn't boot - without an exploit, because the keys are incorrect.

So the current idea seems to be to load the CFW onto the sdcard and launch it as emunand after you did an exploit "on boot". This means minimal permanent manipulation on the original Switch, and potentially the ability to update the internal Switch firmware (nand) to a current OFW, should you so desire. All of this is not set in stone, but to my knowledge this is what people currently are working on.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the basic misunderstanding people are having currently. CFW, cant just simply be "installed over OFW" and ran by the Switch on boot - without exploiting the Switch first, after every reboot/cold boot.

Reason is simple. We dont have the keys to sign the CFW as if it would be "real Nintendo firmware", so the Switch wont allow you to "just install it" over OFW.

And even if you would trick the flasher subroutine into writing a CFW on to the Switches internal nand, it then wouldn't boot - without an exploit, because the keys are incorrect.

So the current idea seems to be to load the CFW onto the sdcard and launch it as emunand after you did an exploit "on boot". This means minimal permanent manipulation on the original Switch, and potentially the ability to update the internal Switch firmware (nand) to a current OFW, should you so desire. All of this is not set in stone, but to my knowledge this is what people currently are working on.

Thats the reason why Signature Patches exist.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Or custom kernels that can load a CFW from an sdcard.

Yet to my understanding this is not what Athmosphere is based around currently.

Please correct me if I am portraying this wrong.

(The how do we want to honor the "you will always be able to use the eshop" promise has not yet been explained in detail... ;) )

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is another possibility. Create a "modchip" that by default actively shorts pin 10, then disables the short after it has been powered for 5 seconds. Put it internally - have a kernel patch, or an internal usb jig that allows you to induce the exploit from the Switch itself, if that code is not detectable, you should be golden. Not sure if this is too much to ask - and if at that point you could just make that patch execute after every boot without glitching - but, that way you wouldnt have to write to system partitions potentially.

Still, there has to be code that allows the CFW to load in the first place. CFW will not in itself solve this issue.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: peteruk

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will tether, I will solder, I will wire together and bolt shit down and put some solder on top of that and then hook that up to other shit. Whatever gets me a permanent solution.

D

Deleted-355425

3.0.0 will have a software trigger from OFW to boot into RCM, with later versions to follow.

All FW will be able to wipe out the boot loader to force into RCM on every coldboot, you still need to tether but you can use a modchip for that.

I suspect the boot loader wiping will come as a fusee gelee module, so one time you will need to trigger RCM either from software 3.0.0 or below, or ground the pins and push some buttons.

Not with fusee gelee. I suspect people will hold onto their untethered coldboot exploits for a while though.

It's still tethered, just to a device smaller than a PC.

• Versions between 3.0.1 and 4.1.0 still have vulnerabilities that we've proven to work, but they don't give you the immediate fun that switches in the previous two categories do. There's still a case for holding onto these until all details regarding Fusée Gelée are released, so you can understand what the advantages and disadvantages are of Fusée Gelée before upgrading.

Reactions: peteruk

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I've looked this up in the temkin Q and A again. :)
No soldering or dangerousness required, and there's a very minor thing you can do (think the equivalent of snipping a pin) to make the assistance permanent.

There's also a neat twist on things that allows you to do the above with no permanent modifications to your Switch.

"To make the assistance permanent" implies, that there would be a reason to do that, which would be to run the exploit on every boot.

The second paragraph might contradict that or only simply refer to the 3D printed jtag thingy as a non permanent solution. ;) So no conclusive outcome. :)

The fact that a "permanent assisted solution" is talked about though seems to indicate - that in concept you would have to glitch the switch after every boot. (Or have a "modchip" do it for you - which hopefully also could talk on the usb data rail.)

Reactions: Dr.doom

SkulllKid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You boot into RCM, and then from there load the exploit (which in turn will load CFW in the future) via a tethered connection to a USB host.
So if I'm on 2.1 just need to wait and we don't need to shot the pins ? Just the USB to connect the switch to a pc ?

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

The fact that the exploit is tethered makes it less exciting for me now...Hopefully an untetherd solution will come later on.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Yeah, that's unfortunate that it's tethered. I imagine being on vacation somewhere in the world, and my Switch battery running out of juice. I'd at least need small device to execute the exploit. Something like the Pi zero.

I'm really looking forward to that TX has to present to the public. I hope they figured something out. Maybe some kind of an internal solution you can solder and feed from the Switch battery.

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
im going with xecuter chip if it will do al this without me manually doing it each time i boot the switch.
im on 1.0.0 and im honestly questioning myself why i stayed there till today. but lets wait and see what the scene is going to bring

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers:
    yeah im confused but thanks all for trying to help haha
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Think this Nyko PowerPak+ in my OG 3DS is starting to expand ever so slightly 😨 what a shame, to have to go back to an OG size battery soon.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators will be like that where it asks for a parent directory
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, 3ds batteries are fairly cheap just don't overspend on oem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Yeah I just like this massive extended battery lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol length
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember those psp batteries that came with bulged psp battery covers
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    my PSP battery started swelling up AGES ago
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    As in I got rid of the battery when I noticed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People were hacking batteries just to cfw them
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got blocked.
    That's perfect.
    Anyway. I'm playing Dragon Ball Adventures from GBA.
    I got stuck in some part.
    Anyone played that game?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Only one I played was the DBZ trading card game game on the GBA
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sparking zero is looking pretty good but not $70 good
    okay
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    isn't sparking zero supposed to be accurate to their canon power too?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    meaning unlike dbfz a weaker character like nappa wouldn't stand a chance against someone stronger like broly
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    aaalllright then, i guess i should hit the hay
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People are complaining about flying in it I'm like wut that's half of what it is
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People are complaining about flying in it I'm like wut that's half of what it is