Hardware Do you guys prefer AGB (original) or SP form factor?

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
curious!

just got an AGB-'101' (original. but backlit)

I had a clear faint purple model back in the day. never an SP. though I find myself still eyeing SP's (and that was my original pursuit, for the AGS101 screen) before stumbling across this one

D

Deleted User

original, the SP is too thin and too narrow, also the shoulder buttons never last long and the buttons get mushy really quickly

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys that prefer OG have an SP in your collection too or have you
Tossed it?

Same with I guess if you prefer SP to OG

or micro somewhere in the mix

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the buttons imo feel better on the orignal, especially the shoulder buttons. If the og model had a backlit screen back in the day, I definitely would have bought that over a SP (as I already at that point, had rechargeable AA batteries, so batteries weren't a concern)

D

Deleted User

i had an ags 101, but now it's in pieces since i scrapped it (and failed) to install it to the AGB

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I liked the SP one well enough and have hundreds of hours on it. I have pretty large hands (I have a seriously hard time finding gloves and have to buy the biggest nitrile gloves in the shop and even then they still come halfway up my first finger joints) too, though at the same time I am never quite sure what that means other than I can use large controllers (say the original xbox one it feels big and the controller s is an improvement but I can play on one just fine).

The original was not bad but I am slightly confused by the super mega love that it seems to enjoy today. Even if I bothered to stick a nice backlit screen in one of mine I would still not grab the cart out of a SP to put into it. Would likely not grab a SP either though.

Now if someone wanted to make a back plate for the SP with wings as it were somewhat like a console controller then we are having another discussion.

D

Deleted User

I liked the SP one well enough and have hundreds of hours on it. I have pretty large hands (I have a seriously hard time finding gloves and have to buy the biggest nitrile gloves in the shop and even then they still come halfway up my first finger joints) too, though at the same time I am never quite sure what that means other than I can use large controllers (say the original xbox one it feels big and the controller s is an improvement but I can play on one just fine).

The original was not bad but I am slightly confused by the super mega love that it seems to enjoy today. Even if I bothered to stick a nice backlit screen in one of mine I would still not grab the cart out of a SP to put into it. Would likely not grab a SP either though.

Now if someone wanted to make a back plate for the SP with wings as it were somewhat like a console controller then we are having another discussion.
the mega love for the original model is because it's most friendly for big hands and it's the most comfortable to hold, and from personal experience the buttons on it aren't utter shite like they are on the SP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the mega love for the original model is because it's most friendly for big hands and it's the most comfortable to hold, and from personal experience the buttons on it aren't utter shite like they are on the SP
Do that many people suffer early onset arthritis or RSI or something? Fat finger syndrome maybe?
My less than dainty thumb manages just fine.

As for SP buttons. I will not say the original does not have its perks or is not quality but I happily played hundreds of hours of tetris, fast action puzzle games, megaman battle network and also more traditional RPGs late into the night.

D

Deleted User

Do that many people suffer early onset arthritis or RSI or something? Fat finger syndrome maybe?
My less than dainty thumb manages just fine.

As for SP buttons. I will not say the original does not have its perks or is not quality but I happily played hundreds of hours of tetris, fast action puzzle games, megaman battle network and also more traditional RPGs late into the night.
recently i tried to play DKC on my SP and it was a horrible experience, the buttons were a mushfest and it was very hard to tell wether the buttons were actually pressed down or not
really weird since the DS uses similar buttons at least, i guess mine wore down. but i also have a really tough time finding an SP that has shoulder buttons that work

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
recently i tried to play DKC on my SP and it was a horrible experience, the buttons were a mushfest and it was very hard to tell wether the buttons were actually pressed down or not
really weird since the DS uses similar buttons at least, i guess mine wore down. but i also have a really tough time finding an SP that has shoulder buttons that work
I am going with more at fault was you were trying to play the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country.
Shoulder buttons were not long term items though but I was generally going with quality of a well working version, and they were not so bad that such a thing was a hard to come by affair back when the GBA was current (or first years of the DS).

D

Deleted User

I am going with more at fault was you were trying to play the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country.
Shoulder buttons were not long term items though but I was generally going with quality of a well working version, and they were not so bad that such a thing was a hard to come by affair back when the GBA was current (or first years of the DS).
the gba version of a game doesn't affect the feel of the buttons lol, it felt just as bad in pokemon emerald and mario kart as well

also DKC for the gba is cheaper from what i remember, i've had this copy for absolute ages

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now is anyone an actual fan of micro as their daily driver or is it just a collector’s / novelty piece

Did anybody ever have one?
Being in Europe I really only saw them in pictures on the internet, and later in a museum/console display.
People had a DS by this point as well.

I can see someone enjoying theirs and more might come to enjoy them if they did play them but so few likely would have.
At the same time I am not going to imagine it ever being an unsung classic that people unfairly overlooked.

D

Deleted User

Did anybody ever have one?
Being in Europe I really only saw them in pictures on the internet, and later in a museum/console display.
People had a DS by this point as well.

I can see someone enjoying theirs and more might come to enjoy them if they did play them but so few likely would have.
At the same time I am not going to imagine it ever being an unsung classic that people unfairly overlooked.
i had one, thing was absolutely tiny, more of a novelty than anything. buttons felt nice though. shoulders were nice and clicky and the face buttons felt similar to the AGB

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ppi of micro fascinates me. But not the color de saturation

people say it’s like the HD version of GBA

Still I think you could play on a Wii U pad that does proper 3x integer scaling from what I’ve read, or maybe GBI with Swiss and gameboy player on GameCube but both are kinda cheating since we’re out of the realm of portable (though the game pad is a ‘tethered’ home portable imo)

if I could find a micro cheap (hah!) id be tempted

So is it silly to have multiple form factor GBA’s?

I originally was looking for an SP for days found an AGB101 and my hand loves it so far. And nostalgia too! Since it’s what I had in the day minus the backlight.

I have vita phat and slim. With RGB software mod my phat just stays part of my collection and my slim is what is my daily driver. Though I like having phat with l2/r2 trigger grip for ps1

Last edited by playstays_shun,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Collect what you want.

If I wander around a car boot sale or something and in a box is a GBA or DS for less than £5 or so (picked up several lites last year/earlier this year) or is otherwise a good deal I will certainly grab it. No regrets at all that. I do that for most things that are not crap PS2 or more recent sports games though.

Would I pay up or go ebay/computer shop prices for one? Would have to be a special one, or a 101 (which are even rarer than a micro in the UK).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
OG all day, the SP is too small for my hands so it gets too uncomfortable to play for long stretches. Never seen a Micro in person myself, but I know for sure I wouldn't bother with one regardless because of it's size.

One of these days I need to pick up an IPS screen for my OG GBA so I can have the perfect GBA.

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OG all day, the SP is too small for my hands so it gets too uncomfortable to play for long stretches. Never seen a Micro in person myself, but I know for sure I wouldn't bother with one regardless because of it's size.

One of these days I need to pick up an IPS screen for my OG GBA so I can have the perfect GBA.

You've been doing the stock non backlit OG?

Thats gotta stink, the screen part. but I hear the non backlit is the best for outdoors

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up