Do you actually consider the GBA or GBASP comfortable to use now?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was already an adult for a long time before the GBA, and the original model I found to be just impossible to enjoy due to the non-lit screen and the ergonomic nightmare of the case & button design. The case does a curved taper out to each side, and the position of the action buttons to the shoulder buttons is all too close together for my hands. When the SP came along, I was all over that. Although smaller, the lack of a tapering narrowness on the sides made it much more comfortable to hold, with the fingers of both hands intertwined across the back and both pinkies adding support to the console from the bottom edge (cart slot area). But I still can't honestly say the SP is "comfortable," despite how many hours I have in playing on several different ones over the years.

Are either one comfortable for you, now?? (regardless of whether it was 'right' for your hands when you were a kid)

I have a couple of AGS-101's, but there's also one original model GBA in translucent ice blue, on which I have been thinking about doing the IPS 3.0 screen mod, UCB-C rechargeable batt mod, new shell and buttons ... really zoot it out. But when I pick up that GBA and force myself to be honest about it, nope. It'd look great, but it would still cramp my hands. So I'm giving more thought to one of the "consolizer" options for that GBA instead. An SNES controller, native GBA on the TV at 720p, without fiddling with the gameboy player, GBI, Swiss, any of that ... sounds nice.

I might change my mind if there were any readily available "grips" for the original GBA on Amazon or a game site. I know there are probably some 3D print plans around, but I don't have facility for that. Maybe I should start nagging LaserBear???

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I'm finding the original model perfectly comfortable to play honestly. Not counting the original screen obviously, done the ITA upgrade and it's glorious.

You can probably find a vintage grip if you keep an eye on eBay etc, or just use a 3D printing service.

Reactions: Hanafuda

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still think the OG GBA is the best in hand out of any handheld! When I was a kid, and even now as an adult. I 'clam'/ fix the console with the major joints of the pointing fingers, making it secure in between for all kinds of fast actions. The L+R buttons are wide enough to easily trigger (even when resting them below in games that hardly use them). My middle fingers tend to usually meet in middle behind it in action-centered games, or be at where my ring fingers usually are, curled at the indents besides the battery compartment.
I never could get used to the GBA-SP design, as the L+R trigger seem too small and you can't really 'grip' the console comfortably. (Which is also why I didn't like the og 3DS that much to hold, as those sharp angled corners are pretty sharp when 'grabbing'). Same with NES controllers ... the SNES controllers you could really 'grab' and I still think are one of the best retro controllers for it.
For me the GBA-SP design was mostly for kids who don't use protective sleeves orso, since the clamshell protects the screen and most of the buttons.
As second best handheld in comfort I'd go for PS Vita ... 3rd probably Steamdeck, but not much of a (pocketable) handheld at that size. ;)
Point is null though: If you like GBA-SP designs, go make a nice upgraded one out of that!
As for 3d prints, if you've got the designs, go shop around. There are plenty of shops willing to 3d print, try some D&D/RPG/boardgame shops, most of them got sick of what they get offered and made their own miniatures (nd thus have a 3d printer). If you're not in a hurry, it might fill up some-one else's order!

Last edited by commdante,

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sp with backlight for me. the original gba--you can't see shit. not sure how it was ever playable.

Screen visibility is another issue but to answer the question ... they sold these little shitty lights. They were horrible.

gbalight.jpg

timidIntensegirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was already an adult for a long time before the GBA, and the original model I found to be just impossible to enjoy due to the non-lit screen and the ergonomic nightmare of the case & button design. The case does a curved taper out to each side, and the position of the action buttons to the shoulder buttons is all too close together for my hands. When the SP came along, I was all over that. Although smaller, the lack of a tapering narrowness on the sides made it much more comfortable to hold, with the fingers of both hands intertwined across the back and both pinkies adding support to the console from the bottom edge (cart slot area). But I still can't honestly say the SP is "comfortable," despite how many hours I have in playing on several different ones over the years.

Are either one comfortable for you, now?? (regardless of whether it was 'right' for your hands when you were a kid)

I have a couple of AGS-101's, but there's also one original model GBA in translucent ice blue, on which I have been thinking about doing the IPS 3.0 screen mod, UCB-C rechargeable batt mod, new shell and buttons ... really zoot it out. But when I pick up that GBA and force myself to be honest about it, nope. It'd look great, but it would still cramp my hands. So I'm giving more thought to one of the "consolizer" options for that GBA instead. An SNES controller, native GBA on the TV at 720p, without fiddling with the gameboy player, GBI, Swiss, any of that ... sounds nice.

I might change my mind if there were any readily available "grips" for the original GBA on Amazon or a game site. I know there are probably some 3D print plans around, but I don't have facility for that. Maybe I should start nagging LaserBear???
For me the GBA SP (AGS101) is the best console in terms of portability, repairability, and comfort. It's easy to see the screen and the clamshell design fits in almost anything -- tons of great games too. I'd love to do an IPS mod, but the 101 works well enough for now and I see no reason to fix what isn't broke!

I'd probably argue the DS is a bit more comfortable for me to grip, but the buttons always felt a bit cheap to me.

Reactions: niomi and Hanafuda

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think the OG GBA is the best in hand out of any handheld! When I was a kid, and even now as an adult. I 'clam'/ fix the console with the major joints of the pointing fingers, making it secure in between for all kinds of fast actions. The L+R buttons are wide enough to easily trigger (even when resting them below in games that hardly use them). My middle fingers tend to usually meet in middle behind it in action-centered games, or be at where my ring fingers usually are, curled at the indents besides the battery compartment.

That's about the only way to hold it, but if I do that the d-pad and action buttons are too 'close' for my thumbs. I have to bend my thumbs tightly ... they'd much rather be touching somewhere around the middle of the screen. If I move my hands further away from the sides of the GBA so I have good thumb placement, then I no longer have a firm hold on the console itself and the narrow pinch due to the width taper at the sides causes my hands to cramp eventually.
Post automatically merged:

For me the GBA SP (AGS101) is the best console in terms of portability, repairability, and comfort. It's easy to see the screen and the clamshell design fits in almost anything -- tons of great games too. I'd love to do an IPS mod, but the 101 works well enough for now and I see no reason to fix what isn't broke!

I'd probably argue the DS is a bit more comfortable for me to grip, but the buttons always felt a bit cheap to me.

I just did a reshell of one of my AGS-101's because the shell around the hinge cracked. I kept the original 101 screen.

Thread about the crumbled original hinge
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sad-day-ags-101-hinge-housing-crumbled-now-what.623175

Photos of the re-shell job. I also replaced the shoulder button microswitches on the mobo.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/things-you-have-fixed-modded-recently.366250/page-21#post-10070976

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just 'grab' at the lowest part where it bends inwards, it seems I just bend my hands more than my thumbs ... dunno what else to say. Thumbs are bend a bit, but for me it's a more comfortably bend, I don't even like the more stretched thumbs like on most modern controllers, makes reacting slower.
And to other replyers: Yes og GBA screen was pretty 'bad' by todays standards, IPS v2 is in most cases better than GBA-SP-101 (mostly depending on which one you got). It was all we got back then though. And with enough light, it really wasn't THAT bad.
Also, we were mostly talking about ergonomics I think, but yeah: don't got an OG GBA if you're not planning to mod it with an IPS screen!
And apparently some people with big hands like the SP as well, OG GBA for me all the way though. :D
Anyhoo, to each their own ... go do your own thing! Like SP's? Make one your really like! Plenty of mods and tools out there these days!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Large hands brigade here as well. Played it fairly extensively as part of various things all throughout being an adult myself ( https://gbatemp.net/review/analogue-pocket-gb-gbc-and-gba-handheld-fpga-based-player.2081/ as a direct comparison). No objection to original (other than the screen) or SP. Never had a micro for long enough to note in this.

Probably should note as part of this PS3 controllers kill my hands after a few hours, not sure what they changed for the PS4 ones though.

Reactions: Jayro and Hanafuda

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh, I think the sp is more comfortable than the regular gba and I have huge hands
Yes and no, for me. I have long fingers. For me, it’s comfortable to hold the SP with my fingertips. I can hold it like that for many hours, but it’s more comfortable that having any of the housing touch my palms.

The OG GBA is my go to. I’ve got an IPS screen, but it might be an unlaminated screen. I have another motherboard that needs a screen. I might build another one and sell this one.

niomi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a small person. A big part of the reason I still love GBs is I enjoy their size & shape... unlike modern mobile gaming slabs.

Micro is great for what it is, much better compared to similar size emulation devices I tried. It's the only one that fits tiny-ass pockets which makes it best choice in some situations. But tiny battery is a limit for portability.
I love the buttons on it, and carrying it around on a lanyard. It's most vibrant GB screen out of the box, so it was my favorite GBA when they were current.

Overall my favorite option is my SP with IPS screen. It's a balanced choice for comfort and portability, my hands don't feel cramped at all. I don't prefer its shallow buttons, but folding the screen over them is worth it. What I like about vertical layouts is how they put the the screen at a more comfortable height for my head and neck.

I haven't spent much time with the OG GBA yet, looking forward to it, but I don't expect to prefer it over the SP.

I think Game Boy Color is most comfortable in hand because the battery bump makes a nice grip. The d-pad is awful, but A&B are great. I haven't had a chance to mod the screen. I tried playing it with a nyko light, it was a struggle. It's hard to imagine how I did it as a kid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Accidently ok. :tpi: