do you belive theres a after life

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you believe in grammar?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nothing arranges itself in a precise manner without an intelligence guiding it. There's a God and there's an afterlife and where you end up is entirely up to you.
The universe is infinitely big. Somewhere there is going to be an amazing place where things like that happen. That place is earth. Think about it, there's trillions and trillions of other planets and as far as we know none of them have any life. It was very lucky that life existed on our planet, but it would be bound to happen eventually considering the massive size of the universe.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well... (Alright, what I'm going to say now is VERY FUCKED UP. Keep in mind I am not telling you to do that, I'm just pointing out where that threat of logic leads.)

What's stopping you from just... you know... going to that better place too?

Because usually religion makes killing oneself an act against god.

Also, you really don't need to preface your points with "This is fucked up". I doubt you'll offend anyone :P

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The universe is infinitely big. Somewhere there is going to be an amazing place where things like that happen. That place is earth. Think about it, there's trillions and trillions of other planets and as far as we know none of them have any life. It was very lucky that life existed on our planet, but it would be bound to happen eventually considering the massive size of the universe.
If the universe indeed is infinite, literally anything you can think of (and is scientifically possible) happened, is happening or will happen.

Let's go smaller scale:
Roll a dice infinity times. You will eventually roll a 3. It's impossible not to.

Because usually religion makes killing oneself an act against god.

Also, you really don't need to preface your points with "This is fucked up". I doubt you'll offend anyone :P

I'm not worried about offending people. I'm worried someone will take me way too seriously and go like "yeah, that makes sense, why am I wasting my time here" and kill themselves.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not worried about offending people. I'm worried someone will take me way too seriously and go like "yeah, that makes sense, why am I wasting my time here" and kill themselves.

Lmao, no one is that stupid, and if someone really did that would just be evolution at work.

Reactions: ThoD

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the universe indeed is infinite, literally anything you can think of (and is scientifically possible) happened, is happening or will happen.

Let's go smaller scale:
Roll a dice infinity times. You will eventually
That's what I'm saying, too. Our existance may be unique, in comparison to everything else we can see, but it's not the work of "God" or anything.

Reactions: osm70

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The page you linked even mentions the flaws of the experiment, that's not a sound theory in the least
Ok... and how is that relevant? The flaws are regarding the actual weight, not whether souls exist or whether they have weight as those were proven even longer ago:P

OK, what I'm going to say here will sound fucked up, but bear with me.

This is intended for people who believe in Heaven. And by Heaven, I mean a perfect afterlife, similar to the one promised by Christianity.

When your friends or relatives die, why are you sad? They are at a place that's objectively better than this world. You should be happy for them.
It's called stupidity. If you actually loved someone and you were close, then being sad and crying only serves a self-satisfactory role of "hey look at me and how I grieve". They wouldn't want you to be sad, so why is it ok to be sad and cry on their name if you actually cared? See? Stupidity at it's finest!

Last edited by ThoD,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Lmao, no one is that stupid, and if someone really did that would just be evolution at work.
Let’s say we had access to immortality. And you have a choice to become immortal or not to go to an afterlife. Would you do it? How do you know for certainty there is life after death? Because if there isn’t then you made a big mistake. And you can’t experience life anymore. You cease to exist.

Death does not give life meaning. Life gives life meaning. Forming bonds, relationships, experiencing music and all of life’s stuff. You can’t do this if your dead and there is no after life. If you had family and friends that chose to be immortal. Would you choose to be immortal too? To be with them here on earth. Or is it against your religion to seek immortality? Because you are playing God.

What if you had children that don’t believe in the same religion you do and choose immortality on earth. Will this affect your decision?

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a video game forum. Most of us here don't even have a life before death.

This.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let’s say we had access to immortality. And you have a choice to become immortal or not to go to an afterlife. Would you do it? How do you know for certainty there is life after death? Because if there isn’t then you made a big mistake. And you can’t experience life anymore. You cease to exist.

Death does not give life meaning. Life gives life meaning. Forming bonds, relationships, experiencing music and all of life’s stuff. You can’t do this if your dead and there is no after life. If you had family and friends that chose to be immortal. Would you choose to be immortal too? To be with them here on earth. Or is it against your religion to seek immortality? Because you are playing God.

What if you had children that don’t believe in the same religion you do and choose immortality on earth. Will this affect your decision?

I'll answer these one by one.
"Would you do it?"
Depends, if there's something I've left to do I'll take it.
"How do you know for certainty there is life after death?"
Because of what I know about God, I'd rather not turn this into an argument about God's existence though, especially because of the many different faiths out there, it'll just get messy.
"Because if there isn’t then you made a big mistake. And you can’t experience life anymore. You cease to exist."
No I didn't, because I can still enjoy life and believe in an afterlife you know. They're not binary options.
"Death does not give life meaning. "
I'd say it does, by knowing you have limited time here it drives you to be the person you want to be, live those experiences you want to live. Being immortal would be a boring life in comparison, you'd complete everything you wanted to do and then some, but then what? You wait until the universe's eventual heat death bored out of your mind.
"Or is it against your religion to seek immortality? Because you are playing God."
I don't think it's against my religion (I'm Muslim, by the way) to seek immortality, simply for the fact that I view God as the creator of the universe and everything in it. The only way we can play God is to create a universe, which as far as I am aware is impossible.
"Will this affect your decision?"
Nope. Whether or not I choose to continue on living will be based on what I want, not what others around me want.

Reactions: lolboy

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my opinion there has to be otherwise this life would make no sense. Our natural instinct is telling us to keep on going as we are part of something bigger. Otherwise the majority of the world would have ended their lifes because of just work, eat and sleep.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe in an afterlife because I don't want one. Life is terrible, it's stressful and puts so much pressure on your mind and body, that I'll eventually want it to be over. The only more terrifying thing than death is the possibility that I could die and then be sentenced to an ETERNITY of consciousness. I'd rather have one shot. One start, one end, and then I'll never have to have it happen again.

Reactions: DarkFlare69

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't believe in an afterlife because I don't want one. Life is terrible, it's stressful and puts so much pressure on your mind and body, that I'll eventually want it to be over. The only more terrifying thing than death is the possibility that I could die and then be sentenced to an ETERNITY of consciousness. I'd rather have one shot. One start, one end, and then I'll never have to have it happen again.

I mean, it's an eternity of very comfortable consciousness. (Well if you go to Heaven or even believe in that sort of afterlife)

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I look forward to enjoying my life after death about as much as I enjoyed my life before birth.

In other words, no I don't. Certainly not in any conventional sense that humans have thought of so far. Nice idea though, useful for all kinds of mass behavioral control.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
useful for all kinds of mass behavioral control.

Always a fun thing to put in to a line of reasoning.
Just because it can be used to control people's behaviour doesn't mean it was in the past, nor does it mean that it's origins lie there.

Edit:
Trying to use a priori reasoning is never a good thing when there is essentially no evidence of religion originating from the need to control people.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Can you imagine being suicidal, actually killing yourself and then finding out an afterlife does exist?

That must suck.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nuuuuuuh, you'd be surprised how irrational people who've just experienced loss can be

Also, if you subscribe to some views of Christian Heaven, it's supposedly a place that exists outside of time. So in a way you're already with them, they're just not with you anymore/yet

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok... and how is that relevant? The flaws are regarding the actual weight, not whether souls exist or whether they have weight as those were proven even longer ago:P
Pretty sure that the "he tested 6 corpses and only one showed a measurable change in weight" is referring to the fact that the experiment itself is flawed, not that only one of the "souls" weigh anything

Besides, gas has mass. Piss has mass. Blood has mass. There are a number of factors not controlled for that might cause an undocumented weight change

I'm not here to debate the existence of a soul, but what I am telling you is that you're going to have to keep searching for scientific proof, because that particular experiment is utter crock

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!