do you belive theres a after life

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real question is, is there a pre-life (like Haibane Renmei)? If there is, we don't remember it, but it effects who we are born to be, then the universe is cruel. The same if there's an after-life. It's why the idea of reincarnation is cruel. Anyways, the point is that if you believe in an after-life, then there's no good reason to not believe in an infinite number of after-lives. Same thing with believing in a God--it's Gods all the way down.

Personally, I choose to believe there is no after-life. Heaven is hell if you don't know why you're there.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe in an afterlife because I don't want one. Life is terrible, it's stressful and puts so much pressure on your mind and body, that I'll eventually want it to be over. The only more terrifying thing than death is the possibility that I could die and then be sentenced to an ETERNITY of consciousness. I'd rather have one shot. One start, one end, and then I'll never have to have it happen again.
I agree with this. Even if it's complete bliss, Id rather it just be over when it's supposed to be over. Being sentenced to eternity of anything is overwhelming, knowing there's never an end

Reactions: orangy57

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nuuuuuuh, you'd be surprised how irrational people who've just experienced loss can be

Also, if you subscribe to some views of Christian Heaven, it's supposedly a place that exists outside of time. So in a way you're already with them, they're just not with you anymore/yet

I mean, if they kill themselves, what problem is there? It's their life, it's their's to take as well.

Anyways, the point is that if you believe in an after-life, then there's no good reason to not believe in an infinite number of after-lives. Same thing with believing in a God--it's Gods all the way down.

Well, you can't rationally have an infinite numbers of afterlife's, I'm sure most people would argue that the god that created the afterlife was uncreated, thus preventing an infinite regression.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you can't rationally have an infinite numbers of afterlife's, I'm sure most people would argue that the god that created the afterlife was uncreated, thus preventing an infinite regression.

The argument could be trivially made that the God of each afterlife is the God of the previous life, so there's no per se infinite regression. Regardless, there's no rational way to argue this universe exists, no God, God, or an infinite number of Gods. The Big Bang was as much uncreated as anything yet it had a beginning.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

joemoe123g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
" And the heaven, We built it with craftsmanship and We are still expanding."

How could an illiterate man who lived 1400 years have known about the expansion of the universe?

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I believe that we either have nothing after death or we relive this life again after death to do different things. It would be rather ironic in the sense that we'd never remember a "before", except those moments when you get Déjà vu.

Otherwise, I would like to think there is something more beyond death, be it an afterlife or the consciousness ascending to a higher dimension, but I won't hold my breath.

RobXcore

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If there was an afterlife, everyone would be killing themselves because being alive on earth is not necessarily the greatest thing lol

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do I belive Heaven

Do you believe that good people died and gone to Heaven ? What about bad people ?

Let's focus on this one about Heaven and Earth. I will have good one about bad people for the next. Anyway.. Here it is:

New Earth right here.. It never said anything about going to heaven. We aren't going to Heaven...

Psalm 37:29:

29 The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

Isaiah 65:17:

17 For look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth;

And the former things will not be called to mind,

Nor will they come up into the heart.

Isaiah 11:6-9:

And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb,+and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. 7 And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. 8 And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. 9 They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of God as the waters are covering the very sea.

John 5:28,29:

28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voicea 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

Psalm 67:6:

6 The earth will give its produce; a God, our God, will bless us.

Proverbs 2:22:

22 As for the wicked, they will be cut off from the earth,aAnd the treacherous will be torn away from it.

Isaiah 65:21; 22

21 They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. 22 They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat.For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full.

Clearly, God talks about New Heaven (Already did in 1914) and New Earth

Last edited by spotanjo3,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The argument could be trivially made that the God of each afterlife is the God of the previous life, so there's no per se infinite regression. Regardless, there's no rational way to argue this universe exists, no God, God, or an infinite number of Gods. The Big Bang was as much uncreated as anything yet it had a beginning.

Wouldn't it still be an infinite regression? After all, that would go on backwards forever if that were the case. Unless I misunderstand, of course.

"The Big Bang was as much uncreated as anything yet it had a beginning."

I'm not sure how that makes sense, something uncreated has no beginning or end, it's eternal.
Merriam-Webster Definition:
not existing by creation : eternal, self-existent

Edit:
The argument should be what the universe was created by, as it doesn't lie solely on God. There are number of theories out there, ranging from another universe creating our own (The Big Bounce) to God himself.

Because I think you'll find that even if someone is prepared to kill themselves, most people prefer living in the end

They should've thought about that before killing themselves. It shouldn't be up to us to control what others decide to do.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's a rather insensitive thing to say. Plus, suicidal people tend to not be thinking rationally. That's why suicide hotlines exist

I'm not saying that people shouldn't seek help before killing themselves, all I'm saying is that if they do and still feel the same way, there's no stopping them at that point so they might as well.
Also, let me make it clear, I completely understand that not everyone who is suicidal is the same and that some need help more than others. All I'm saying is that killing yourself because "it makes sense" is about as moronic as it gets.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it still be an infinite regression? After all, that would go on backwards forever if that were the case. Unless I misunderstand, of course.

"The Big Bang was as much uncreated as anything yet it had a beginning."
I'm not sure how that makes sense, something uncreated has no beginning or end, it's eternal.

That's the paradox. The universe always existed and any differentiation is purely anthropomorphism--we characterize everything to be mortal, with a birth and a death. Yet, we obviously can't rationalize a way for something to be eternal that also changes because change overall is increased entropy which leads to "death". I'd say this the reason talk of God and the after-life are part of philosophy, not logic. Logic is an incomplete mechanism for modeling reality (or unreality).

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's the paradox. The universe always existed and any differentiation is purely anthropomorphism--we characterize everything to be mortal, with a birth and a death. Yet, we obviously can't rationalize a way for something to be eternal that also changes because change overall is increased entropy which leads to "death". I'd say this the reason talk of God and the after-life are part of philosophy, not logic. Logic is an incomplete mechanism for modeling reality (or unreality).

Ah, thanks for clearing things up.

"The universe always existed"
I'm not sure the evidence available to us suggests that at all. At the very least, it suggests that time itself had a beginning.

"Yet, we obviously can't rationalize a way for something to be eternal that also changes because change overall is increased entropy which leads to "death"."
We would be able to if that thing were outside our universe, as God would be.

"I'd say this the reason talk of God and the after-life are part of philosophy, not logic."

I'd tend to agree, trying to rationalise something completely out of our scope is irrational. But, I'd also argue that arguing that something like God as the "prime mover" is something within our mental capacity.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure the evidence available to us suggests that at all. At the very least, it suggests that time itself had a beginning.

So at what time did time begin? See, time is change.

We would be able to if that thing were outside our universe, as God would be.

So what makes it "outside" our Universe? If you mean God exists in the multi-verse of universes, then he still lives somewhere and our Universe having a creation date is a bit arbitrary--it came out of the multi-verse and merely didn't differentiate until later.

I'd tend to agree, trying to rationalise something completely out of our scope is irrational. But, I'd also argue that arguing that something like God as the "prime mover" is something within our mental capacity.

How can God change but not die? How can he exist without being born? Every living thing in the universe has a birth after the start of the universe. So, presumably everything in the multi-verse (or whereever God is) was born after that area existed. And the multi-verse presumably came from the multi-multi-verse. We can imagine things that don't exist. But we can't rationalize them, so just being in our mental capacity isn't enough. We don't say unicorns exist, for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."