Do any of you like Doom ?/Do any of you hate Doom?

MaskedRed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as the title goes, Do you like Doom?Or do you hate it with i fiery passion?Which Doom?
What do you like/hate about it?
have a favorite moment you had during your time playing? Were you terrified? why is it so fun?
why is it boring?why is it slow?why isnt it fun?
Well,you get the point.I personally really love Doom 1 and 2(haven't played 3), I played it like 6 Years ago on the 360 i ended up playing trough it in a day.I found it challenging for the most part(was playing it on Ultra Violence)and i like the no sense of direction, the mindless shooting, the blood and gore and some really intense boss fights.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not into it these days but I used to play 1-2 a little bit, and the Cyberdemon is the moment/boss that stands out to me the most. I'm talking about the very first encounter in the original Doom. That is one menacing motherfucker and he can kill you in an instant if you make even the smallest mistake, so the tension of fighting one of those bastards makes the first encounter with one my favorite moment. I'm terrible at Doom so I died a LOT.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the first Doom (almost) everywhere: PS1, PC, NDS, GBA etc. It was ok. Really liked the PS1 port (first time I played Doom). I liked DsDoom, but it was very buggy. The GBA version wasn't that good.

Then I played Doom 2 (PC, NDS, GBA). Nice. Once again, the portability was great but the NDS version didn't let me finish the game, and the GBA version was annoying to play due to the very slow turning around commands.

Then I played Plutonia Experiment (PC, NDS). I still fap to those levels. Once again, the NDS version didn't let me finish it.

Then I played Doom 3 (PC). It was eh. Not because "it wasn't Doom omfg!!1", but because I'm not a fan of the "hey you need to go here, BUT WAIT SOMETHING HAPPENS OH NO now you have to pass through her--OH NO SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENED AND NOW YOU HAVE TO GO THIS WAY TO PASS THAT TO GO THAT WAY sorry man!" kind of FPSs. And the bosses were meh, but that's always been a problem with Doom games.

Personally, I love Doom. The Wads people make are a blast and the official games are still worth a try.

MaskedRed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not into it these days but I used to play 1-2 a little bit, and the Cyberdemon is the moment/boss that stands out to me the most. I'm talking about the very first encounter in the original Doom. That is one menacing motherfucker and he can kill you in an instant if you make even the smallest mistake, so the tension of fighting one of those bastards makes the first encounter with one my favorite moment. I'm terrible at Doom so I died a LOT.

Oh man.oh man. Do i remember the Cyberdemon, literally my reaction was "Holy shit, What the fuck is that!?" and then i died,a lot and since you know during singleplayer you have to either A.die and reload your save or B. Die and reload the level with just a pistol. it was kinda annoying but a big satisfaction afterwards

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also played Doom and Doom 2 on a 386. Ran surprisingly well. I miss those days . You didn't need some super expensive rig to play some slightly higher graphics ports of console games. You had actual PC games, and while they did run better on better systems, you didn't have to spend hundreds on graphics cards just to keep up.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Doom and Doom 2 are absolute classics in video games no matter how you look at it. In a somewhat ironic turn, it aged MUCH better than the majority of later FPS'es. It has to do with the textures being pretty generic yet abstract and timeless. It defined decent level design in and of itself.

While Wolfenstein 3D was the first FPS I ever played, it was doom that laid the foundation of what a true FPS should be.

Though I was pretty young at that time, I was only scared in that one room where the lights suddenly went out. Oh, and the first encounter with the cyberdemon. I have a list of my favorite villains on another forum. The cyberdemon has a well-deserved spot on it. :)
Still, my favorite level was always 'the living end'...the one to last level of doom 2. The way it's anything but mazelike, yet has you running around the central "mountain" amidst a sea of lava is just the way I like it.

Despite doom 2 doing some interesting things, it's actually more of an expansion than a sequel (especially to today's standards). The new enemies and level designs (especially the cities) were interesting, but I never really liked that new shotgun.

Doom 3...I honestly don't know why they even called it 'doom' in the first place. The game (to me) was about fighting huge streams of monsters. After a couple minutes, I just gave up. I'm not even kidding when I say that Serious Sam is more doom 3 than the actual Doom 3 game.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Doom 1 and 2 were pretty great games, definitely some of the best "firsts" of the FPS genre.

Doom 3 I can't say myself, I haven't every gotten around to playing it myself. I do want to see more of the new Doom they're making, I have a beta code from Wolfenstein The New Order so I'm pretty excited to see whether it's going to be a "nice" reboot like Wolfenstein The New Order was.

MaskedRed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doom 1 and 2 were pretty great games, definitely some of the best "firsts" of the FPS genre.

Doom 3 I can't say myself, I haven't every gotten around to playing it myself. I do want to see more of the new Doom they're making, I have a beta code from Wolfenstein The New Order so I'm pretty excited to see whether it's going to be a "nice" reboot like Wolfenstein The New Order was.

Man, I just hope in turns as hype as the game that people saw at Quakecon.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always tried to get into the classic DOOM games but for some reason all of those really old idTech games give me massive motion sickness. As a result I can't even
really play them. As far as DOOM 3 goes it's just a little too... mediocre. Here's hoping DOOM 4 can remedy all that :grog:

MaskedRed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always tried to get into the classic DOOM games but for some reason all of those really old idTech games give me massive motion sickness. As a result I can't even
really play them. As far as DOOM 3 goes it's just a little too... mediocre. Here's hoping DOOM 4 can remedy all that :grog:

have you tried them with Brutal doom?it makes the camera movement more like modern FPS.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I personally love Doom. Well to be honest, I am indifferent about the old game, but I love the modding community around it. Such versions like Doomsday, Brutal Doom, Freedoom, ect. Which all improve on their base(s) and make them more enjoyable.
I basically like doom because it can be modified, improved, and ported. It's something I feel all games should allow.
Think about if all games allow you to port the source over to different OS's or different types of processors! Which why I love Doom because it can be played on pretty much anything with a screen because it released it's source.

MaskedRed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally love Doom. Well to be honest, I am indifferent about the old game, but I love the modding community around it. Such versions like Doomsday, Brutal Doom, Freedoom, ect. Which all improve on their base(s) and make them more enjoyable.
I basically like doom because it can be modified, improved, and ported. It's something I feel all games should allow.
Think about if all games allow you to port the source over to different OS's or different types of processors! Which why I love Doom because it can be played on pretty much anything with a screen because it released it's source.

I personally love the old, pretty much how i started but like they say "Once you go Brutal, you just can't go back" and well i kinda agree on that one. It's true that companies should be more open with their games and even support Modders like Id did.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried them with Brutal doom?it makes the camera movement more like modern FPS.

Actually I've already tried Brutal Doom before. A bloody disgusting good time if there ever was one and you're right. I noticed that the camera in that is a lot less nauseating for me than it is in more traditional idTech fan ports. I mean, it's by no means perfect but I can actually play the game for longer than 5 minutes at a time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)