Do any of you like Doom ?/Do any of you hate Doom?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by MaskedRed, May 23, 2015.

1. MaskedRed
    OP

MaskedRed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale
    Just as the title goes, Do you like Doom?Or do you hate it with i fiery passion?Which Doom?
    What do you like/hate about it?
    have a favorite moment you had during your time playing? Were you terrified? why is it so fun?
    why is it boring?why is it slow?why isnt it fun?
    Well,you get the point.I personally really love Doom 1 and 2(haven't played 3), I played it like 6 Years ago on the 360 i ended up playing trough it in a day.I found it challenging for the most part(was playing it on Ultra Violence)and i like the no sense of direction, the mindless shooting, the blood and gore and some really intense boss fights.

2. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    I'm not into it these days but I used to play 1-2 a little bit, and the Cyberdemon is the moment/boss that stands out to me the most. I'm talking about the very first encounter in the original Doom. That is one menacing motherfucker and he can kill you in an instant if you make even the smallest mistake, so the tension of fighting one of those bastards makes the first encounter with one my favorite moment. I'm terrible at Doom so I died a LOT.

3. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I don't mind the series, but I'm not really into FPSs at all. I used to play the first two as a kid, but that's about it.

4. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I played the first Doom (almost) everywhere: PS1, PC, NDS, GBA etc. It was ok. Really liked the PS1 port (first time I played Doom). I liked DsDoom, but it was very buggy. The GBA version wasn't that good.

Then I played Doom 2 (PC, NDS, GBA). Nice. Once again, the portability was great but the NDS version didn't let me finish the game, and the GBA version was annoying to play due to the very slow turning around commands.

Then I played Plutonia Experiment (PC, NDS). I still fap to those levels. Once again, the NDS version didn't let me finish it.

Then I played Doom 3 (PC). It was eh. Not because "it wasn't Doom omfg!!1", but because I'm not a fan of the "hey you need to go here, BUT WAIT SOMETHING HAPPENS OH NO now you have to pass through her--OH NO SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENED AND NOW YOU HAVE TO GO THIS WAY TO PASS THAT TO GO THAT WAY sorry man!" kind of FPSs. And the bosses were meh, but that's always been a problem with Doom games.

Personally, I love Doom. The Wads people make are a blast and the official games are still worth a try.

5. MaskedRed
    OP

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale

Oh man.oh man. Do i remember the Cyberdemon, literally my reaction was "Holy shit, What the fuck is that!?" and then i died,a lot and since you know during singleplayer you have to either A.die and reload your save or B. Die and reload the level with just a pistol. it was kinda annoying but a big satisfaction afterwards

6. nihlathak

nihlathak GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Netherlands
    I love both DOOM 1 and 2, every single level of them. Didn't care much for DOOM 3 and whatnot.

7. MaskedRed
    OP

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale
    What do you guys think about Brutal Doom?I personally love that mod

8. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    I played Doom 1/2 alot back in the day on my home build 386DX 33mhz pc!
    Also on the PC in my class at school :yayps3:

9. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    No never had but its on my list (played some doom clones though)

10. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I also played Doom and Doom 2 on a 386. Ran surprisingly well. I miss those days . You didn't need some super expensive rig to play some slightly higher graphics ports of console games. You had actual PC games, and while they did run better on better systems, you didn't have to spend hundreds on graphics cards just to keep up.

11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Doom and Doom 2 are absolute classics in video games no matter how you look at it. In a somewhat ironic turn, it aged MUCH better than the majority of later FPS'es. It has to do with the textures being pretty generic yet abstract and timeless. It defined decent level design in and of itself.

While Wolfenstein 3D was the first FPS I ever played, it was doom that laid the foundation of what a true FPS should be.

Though I was pretty young at that time, I was only scared in that one room where the lights suddenly went out. Oh, and the first encounter with the cyberdemon. I have a list of my favorite villains on another forum. The cyberdemon has a well-deserved spot on it. :)
    Still, my favorite level was always 'the living end'...the one to last level of doom 2. The way it's anything but mazelike, yet has you running around the central "mountain" amidst a sea of lava is just the way I like it.

Despite doom 2 doing some interesting things, it's actually more of an expansion than a sequel (especially to today's standards). The new enemies and level designs (especially the cities) were interesting, but I never really liked that new shotgun.

Doom 3...I honestly don't know why they even called it 'doom' in the first place. The game (to me) was about fighting huge streams of monsters. After a couple minutes, I just gave up. I'm not even kidding when I say that Serious Sam is more doom 3 than the actual Doom 3 game.

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Doom 1 and 2 were pretty great games, definitely some of the best "firsts" of the FPS genre.

Doom 3 I can't say myself, I haven't every gotten around to playing it myself. I do want to see more of the new Doom they're making, I have a beta code from Wolfenstein The New Order so I'm pretty excited to see whether it's going to be a "nice" reboot like Wolfenstein The New Order was.

13. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Basically what Tom said, also very excited to see what the new Doom brings, as I LOVED wolfenstien the new order.

14. MaskedRed
    OP

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale

Man, I just hope in turns as hype as the game that people saw at Quakecon.

15. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    I always tried to get into the classic DOOM games but for some reason all of those really old idTech games give me massive motion sickness. As a result I can't even
    really play them. As far as DOOM 3 goes it's just a little too... mediocre. Here's hoping DOOM 4 can remedy all that :grog:

16. MaskedRed
    OP

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale

have you tried them with Brutal doom?it makes the camera movement more like modern FPS.

17. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I personally love Doom. Well to be honest, I am indifferent about the old game, but I love the modding community around it. Such versions like Doomsday, Brutal Doom, Freedoom, ect. Which all improve on their base(s) and make them more enjoyable.
    I basically like doom because it can be modified, improved, and ported. It's something I feel all games should allow.
    Think about if all games allow you to port the source over to different OS's or different types of processors! Which why I love Doom because it can be played on pretty much anything with a screen because it released it's source.

18. MaskedRed
    OP

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale

I personally love the old, pretty much how i started but like they say "Once you go Brutal, you just can't go back" and well i kinda agree on that one. It's true that companies should be more open with their games and even support Modders like Id did.

19. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    Actually I've already tried Brutal Doom before. A bloody disgusting good time if there ever was one and you're right. I noticed that the camera in that is a lot less nauseating for me than it is in more traditional idTech fan ports. I mean, it's by no means perfect but I can actually play the game for longer than 5 minutes at a time.

20. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Yes. Favorite game.. Ever..
    Didn't excessively play it til the Doom 3 Limited Edition on the og Xbox. Learned the tricks and routes.. Then forgot oo. Beat almost every official doom to date.