Digitimes: Nintendo NX mass production delayed to early 2017, to add VR.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Steal what, exactly? The revolutionary concept of "underpowered, overpriced, underutilized, outdated tech with no 3rd party support"? Yeah, I bet everyone's out to get in on that action.

Anywhooo...

Exclusive, first photo of the NNX leaked:

JaeaxgR.jpg

;O;

Put on some oversized armor, and you've got yourself a Skell.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are, VR
We are! We are VR Troopers!

1721960-vr_troopers.jpg

Seriously, if I end up fighting Grimlords mutant robots before the end of the NX life cycle, I would consider NX a great console lol.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A development cycle of a console is several years long, deciding to add a new feature barely a year before release is a tacked-on afterthought and definitely not something they had in mind from the get-go.
It's worth to mention that the Wii itself was an afterthought too - the Wii Remote was originally supposed to be a Gamecube add-on. There's a reason why Nintendo's early Wii games were developed and tested on Gamecubes with some extra RAM strapped onto them - for all intents and purposes the Wii is Nintendo's "PS4 Neo", or a "Gamecube 2.0", whichever name you find more suiting. They made an interesting controller and instead of releasing it for a failing system they made a slightly upgraded version of it designed with the controller in mind, in case you're interested what came first, the chicken or the egg.

Reactions: zoogie

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'm kinda glad Nints is adding VR, even if it spikes the cost of the system. The reason being if VR catches on like it looks to be doing, Nintendo would be left behind (yet again) if they omitted it.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This rumor ignited my interest in the NX, I was absolutely disgusted with the previous rumors (a NON 3D portable used for remote play etc) I do not understand how people don't love 3D. It doesn't matter, thank you Palmer Luckey for putting 3D on the pedestal it deserves

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether or not there's VR isn't what I'm looking forward to. The rest of the post stated that the system can be played mobile like a 3DS, or plugged into a television to work as a home console. Add that to what we know already about the system being about as powerful as an XB1 or PS4, and I'm looking forward to it. A portable console I can take with me, with graphics that look like the (current) latest home consoles. Not to mention that the built-in portable screen will be smaller than a television, so it can handle smaller resolutions and still look pretty good.

Also, doesn't Nintendo have their glasses-free 3D tech from the 3DS still under patent, so they're the only ones who can make anything with that particular method of 3D? I'd assume that their 3D method would make VR easier to work with, like an already 3D screen on a Google Cardboard-type frame. Besides, like the 3DS, if you don't like the 3D effect, don't use it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Whether or not there's VR isn't what I'm looking forward to. The rest of the post stated that the system can be played mobile like a 3DS, or plugged into a television to work as a home console. Add that to what we know already about the system being about as powerful as an XB1 or PS4, and I'm looking forward to it. A portable console I can take with me, with graphics that look like the (current) latest home consoles. Not to mention that the built-in portable screen will be smaller than a television, so it can handle smaller resolutions and still look pretty good.
I'm concerned that no matter the power optimization involved, hardware on par with the PS4/XBone would give you a battery life of half an hour tops. Maybe it will have two work modes, with the CPU locked on a lower frequency and some effects/detail level turned down when in mobile mode, like how the PSP had the CPU locked at 222 MHz, but could unlock it to 333 when needed.

That, and these new handhelds have lowered everyone's expectations of battery life, so they won't complain that much about the half-hour battery life :angry:

Also, doesn't Nintendo have their glasses-free 3D tech from the 3DS still under patent, so they're the only ones who can make anything with that particular method of 3D? I'd assume that their 3D method would make VR easier to work with, like an already 3D screen on a Google Cardboard-type frame. Besides, like the 3DS, if you don't like the 3D effect, don't use it.
Not exactly, there is a ton of glasses-free 3D devices out there (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D-enabled_mobile_phones), Nintendo may have a patent on their particular implementation but parallax barrier 3D is not proprietary tech and anyone can use it.
VR glasses need to have prisms that stretch the screen across the whole field of view, as well as lenses that make the screen look further away, allowing you to have it an inch from your face while appearing further away, so you don't have to strain your eyes and focus on something very close up. A glasses-free-3D screen would have no advantage over a normal screen when used in a headset.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit