OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm looking into the Acekard RPG as my new flashcart, but it seems overly difficult to use. How does the firmware function? What's up with the plugins and stuff? That being said, I'm sure I'd have no problems because I'm pretty decent with computers and whatnot, but I just want to know what I'd have to know to get this thing to work.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
None of the flash carts including the RPG is difficult to use. It is just because you are reading and not trying it yourself that it seems complicated. Buy it and try it and it seems really easy, fast, and efficient. I can also recommend the RPG as a great flashcart so you won't be disappointed with your purchase. Even after buying, if you are confused, you can always ask here.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The RPG is a little harder to use than, a CycloDS for instance. You might have to do more tweaking on ini files and such. Also there is more functionality to the RPG. You will need to learn how to use all those functions. But ,in the end IMO, its worth it.
Golden should be honest and say it can be hard even if you have your hands on it. He knows about that since he had trouble figuring out how the saves worked. But he is right in that there are good people here that can usually help with problems.

gimlianon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
True say. From the review, it doesn't seem like the RPG is as feature-rich as the CycloDS (ie. RTS, SlowMo, etc.). However, the review is using older firmware. What is the current feature list on the most popular firmware?

EDIT: After careful deliberation, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Acekard RPG. I've been looking around for a good place to buy it, and I've found bamboogaming.com. Are there any places based closer to home (Canada) that sell it?

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if youre looking into acekard rpg, i recommend looking at the new acekard 2, now i dont have the ace2, but i can easily recommend the RPG, and bamboogaming is your best bet

gimlianon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If I'm gonna get an Acekard, I'm gonna go with the RPG, because of the internal memory, and because it looks cool.
tongue.gif
But yeah, Bamboogaming looks pretty decent.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
The RPG is a little harder to use than, a CycloDS for instance. You might have to do more tweaking on ini files and such. Also there is more functionality to the RPG. You will need to learn how to use all those functions. But ,in the end IMO, its worth it.
Golden should be honest and say it can be hard even if you have your hands on it. He knows about that since he had trouble figuring out how the saves worked. But he is right in that there are good people here that can usually help with problems.
I actually had no trouble with the saving, they just bugged the living daylights out of me and still do. That in all honesty, is one of if not the only bad thing(well, that and no 100% DL play) that I don't like about the RPG. True at first I thought it was HORRIFIC because I was adding an extra step after saving the games but then I learned it wasn't necessary for that third reboot but even after that was cleared up; It still annoys me to this very day.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
gratefulbuddy said:
I actually had no trouble with the saving, they just bugged the living daylights out of me and still do. That in all honesty, is one of if not the only bad thing(well, that and no 100% DL play) that I don't like about the RPG. True at first I thought it was HORRIFIC because I was adding an extra step after saving the games but then I learned it wasn't necessary for that third reboot but even after that was cleared up; It still annoys me to this very day.

Golden-Seems like some problems here.

QUOTE(gimlianon @ Mar 15 2008, 12:38 AM)
So how does saving work exactly?
Gimlianon-Just as long as you realize that the save is not written until next bootup, you will have no problems.

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
shaunj66 said:

The review is outdated feature wise. The standard FW ( the one which every one uses) has multi save direct support for 3 in 1 expension cheat selctor , and some other nifty features (BNSM 1.5 ) the second most used FW has all of the above plus NDS-GBA link support ( only tested with Pokemon by BLISS)

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
That merged love firmware is very easy to use every option is logically placed, as for launching a game the process is the same as every flashcart (you pusl a button when selected rom
smile.gif
). Ergo nothing complicated.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
azotyp said:
That merged love firmware is very easy to use every option is logically placed, as for launching a game the process is the same as every flashcart (you pusl a button when selected rom
smile.gif
). Ergo nothing complicated.

True that. But if all you wanted to do is play roms with no "extras", you wouldn't have an RPG.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
And so ya know, there's discussions going on to implement in-game menu with RTS and whatnot. Reports say it "shouldn't be too hard".

And usability is definitely a focus on the custom RPG firmware. bliss' firmware has many many many key combo things that I feel make it a bit more cumbersome to use. I don't like making end-users "remember" a bunch of key shortcuts and icon locations for items they want to access.

Hell, we've even discussed making an alternate mode for the RPG that would somehow be compatible with R4/M3 skins. It would probably require stripping a lot of the GUI to begin and all, but could be fun to do.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smiths said:
And so ya know, there's discussions going on to implement in-game menu with RTS and whatnot. Reports say it "shouldn't be too hard".
It's not that easy, and since the firmware doesn;t seem to be able to save directly to uSD or onboard dlash memory other than their save blocks, they're going to need to do that first, or waste more blocks reserved for RTS on the onboard FLASH RAM. Not to mention, I think that they're going to find that implementing a useful RTS isn't quite easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.