Difficulty of Use

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by gimlianon, Mar 14, 2008.

Mar 14, 2008

Difficulty of Use by gimlianon at 3:21 AM (3,255 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. gimlianon
    OP

Newcomer gimlianon Member

Canada
    So I'm looking into the Acekard RPG as my new flashcart, but it seems overly difficult to use. How does the firmware function? What's up with the plugins and stuff? That being said, I'm sure I'd have no problems because I'm pretty decent with computers and whatnot, but I just want to know what I'd have to know to get this thing to work.

2. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    None of the flash carts including the RPG is difficult to use. It is just because you are reading and not trying it yourself that it seems complicated. Buy it and try it and it seems really easy, fast, and efficient. I can also recommend the RPG as a great flashcart so you won't be disappointed with your purchase. Even after buying, if you are confused, you can always ask here.

3. gimlianon
    OP

Canada
    True say. Alrighty then. Can anyone point me to a current list of features? Thanks very much!

4. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
  5. gimlianon
    OP

Canada
    Ah, crap. I missed it somehow... >_> Whoops. My bad.

6. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    The RPG is a little harder to use than, a CycloDS for instance. You might have to do more tweaking on ini files and such. Also there is more functionality to the RPG. You will need to learn how to use all those functions. But ,in the end IMO, its worth it.
    Golden should be honest and say it can be hard even if you have your hands on it. He knows about that since he had trouble figuring out how the saves worked. But he is right in that there are good people here that can usually help with problems.

7. gimlianon
    OP

Canada
    True say. From the review, it doesn't seem like the RPG is as feature-rich as the CycloDS (ie. RTS, SlowMo, etc.). However, the review is using older firmware. What is the current feature list on the most popular firmware?

EDIT: After careful deliberation, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Acekard RPG. I've been looking around for a good place to buy it, and I've found bamboogaming.com. Are there any places based closer to home (Canada) that sell it?

8. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    if youre looking into acekard rpg, i recommend looking at the new acekard 2, now i dont have the ace2, but i can easily recommend the RPG, and bamboogaming is your best bet

9. gimlianon
    OP

Canada
    If I'm gonna get an Acekard, I'm gonna go with the RPG, because of the internal memory, and because it looks cool. [​IMG] But yeah, Bamboogaming looks pretty decent.

10. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    I actually had no trouble with the saving, they just bugged the living daylights out of me and still do. That in all honesty, is one of if not the only bad thing(well, that and no 100% DL play) that I don't like about the RPG. True at first I thought it was HORRIFIC because I was adding an extra step after saving the games but then I learned it wasn't necessary for that third reboot but even after that was cleared up; It still annoys me to this very day.

11. gimlianon
    OP

Canada
    So how does saving work exactly?

12. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    You don't need to do anything, the AceKard does its stuff on its own [​IMG]

13. gimlianon
    OP

Canada
    Excellent. Well, I said it in another topic, but I'm get me one of these on the 23rd. Bwahaha!

14. gratefulbuddy

United States
    Gimlianon-Just as long as you realize that the save is not written until next bootup, you will have no problems.

15. gimlianon
    OP

Canada
    Yup, that's cool with me. I seldom screw around with save games anyways, so it won't be a problem. [​IMG]

16. Raisingod

Member Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Israel

The review is outdated feature wise. The standard FW ( the one which every one uses) has multi save direct support for 3 in 1 expension cheat selctor , and some other nifty features (BNSM 1.5 ) the second most used FW has all of the above plus NDS-GBA link support ( only tested with Pokemon by BLISS)

17. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    That merged love firmware is very easy to use every option is logically placed, as for launching a game the process is the same as every flashcart (you pusl a button when selected rom [​IMG] ). Ergo nothing complicated.

18. gratefulbuddy

United States
    True that. But if all you wanted to do is play roms with no "extras", you wouldn't have an RPG.

19. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    And so ya know, there's discussions going on to implement in-game menu with RTS and whatnot. Reports say it "shouldn't be too hard".

And usability is definitely a focus on the custom RPG firmware. bliss' firmware has many many many key combo things that I feel make it a bit more cumbersome to use. I don't like making end-users "remember" a bunch of key shortcuts and icon locations for items they want to access.

Hell, we've even discussed making an alternate mode for the RPG that would somehow be compatible with R4/M3 skins. It would probably require stripping a lot of the GUI to begin and all, but could be fun to do.

20. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's not that easy, and since the firmware doesn;t seem to be able to save directly to uSD or onboard dlash memory other than their save blocks, they're going to need to do that first, or waste more blocks reserved for RTS on the onboard FLASH RAM. Not to mention, I think that they're going to find that implementing a useful RTS isn't quite easy.