Homebrew Did I imagine it or... (boot with emmc dead)

KeyMerVin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi. So... I´ve got an O2DS which eMMC chip got randomly dead after an update. I checked with CTR9, tried to make a CTR9Transfer, etc, but NAND is completely dead. Of course, BOSD, 8046, and I used NTR to boot into LUMA chainloader and follow this tutorial

Now, I remember a while ago that there was a SW which could load everything, even system, from SD. And no, Im not talking about EMUnand...

Which SW was it?

And, if I imagined it, is there anyway to fix this console without fixing or changing the eMMC? I know what that is, but... something like the SW I said, or... creating an EMUnand and forcing it to boot always from it, as luma is able to...

Can I do anything?

Thanks and sorry my bad english

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fmkid, can you PM and talk to him in Spanish for some clarifications?
  1. Did the problem occur shortly after system updating to the current 11.14 firmware?
  2. Does this error code appears when turning on the o2DS?
    • An exception occurred
      Processor: ARM11 (core 1)
      Exception type: undefined instruction
      Current process: pm (0000000000000000)
  3. Has he tried replacing the sdmc:/boot.firm to the latest Luma3DS v10.2.1?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: KeyMerVin

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
  1. Did the problem occur shortly after system updating to the current 11.14 firmware?
PM sended to @KeyMerVin

Edit: @TurdPooCharger He told me that he can understand your instructions and answer you (if needed) by himself

Last edited by fmkid,

KeyMerVin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi ^^

The problem appeared right after a system update. Looks like nand is dead, as I tried everything; GM9 scripts, CTRTransfer, and nothing; right at the moment when they need to touch the nand, it fails to mount it, and GM9 does not show it at the partitions screes

I bought a screwdriver for it and when I have a chance, I´ll try the battery trick

I even tried to make the console boot from an emunand born from my own O3DS´s sysnand, but no luck; Luma claims it is unable no find CTRNand

Oh, and no, no arm11 warning or something like that; just BSOD 8046, and the console was not modded, and it got broken years ago, so it is not from 11.4 update

Last edited by KeyMerVin,

KeyMerVin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, I found a valid screwdriver and I´ve got the battery out at the moment. I´ll see if the trick works

Edit: No luck with battery trick; still:

BSOD 8046

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00000000

Last edited by KeyMerVin,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem appeared right after a system update. Looks like nand is dead, as I tried everything; GM9 scripts, CTRTransfer, and nothing; right at the moment when they need to touch the nand, it fails to mount it, and GM9 does not show it at the partitions screes

I bought a screwdriver for it and when I have a chance, I´ll try the battery trick

BSOD 8046

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00000000

You diagnosed the issue correctly. It's a dead NAND chip.

I even tried to make the console boot from an emunand born from my own O3DS´s sysnand, but no luck; Luma claims it is unable no find CTRNand

Oh, and no, no arm11 warning or something like that; just BSOD 8046, and the console was not modded, and it got broken years ago, so it is not from 11.4 update
Because this hardbrick happened years ago, I am assuming you never got a chance to hack the o2DS and back up a copy of its very own SysNAND *.bin image.

You have the right idea about switching over to an EmuNAND setup when the eMMC is dead.
However, the o3DS SysNAND *.bin image can't be directly used on the o2DS due to console unique encryption.

I am not sure if it's possible to create an EmuNAND on the SD card that is compatible or recognizable to the o2DS when there is no template to go off from,

• (1) The eMMC is [ dead / unreadable / missing ].
  • (2) The SysNAND *.bin image was never made before or no copy exists.

LATE EDIT - Bypassing a fried NAND chip with an EmuNAND doesn't work. Here's why.
The only way to fix this hardware fault would be to solder in a replacement eMMC followed by restoring the SysNAND or rebuilding the 3DS firmware from scratch with Lazarus3DS.

Since you have nothing to lose at this point, see if this works.

1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
    • Use a small sized card, preferably 4 GB (minimum).
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
    • Make sure the card is [GOOD]. Do not use it if result comes back as [BAD].
    • h2testw_menu-png.210567
      h2testw_results-png.210862
  4. Delete the *.h2w test files. Download GodMode9, rename GodMode9.firmboot.firm, and add this to the root the SD card.

Even though the NAND chip is hardbricked, as long as the o2DS is still able to turn on and greet you with the BOOTROM 8046 error message, it should be possible to...

5. Access and launch GodMode9 via the ntrboot [ES] method.
  • This requires a compatible DS flashcart reflashed in ntrboot mode. Not any model flashcart will do. Only those on the ntrboot list can be used.
  • Instead of using SafeB9SInstaller for the sdmc:/boot.firm , keep instead GodMode9 as the substitution.
6. Attempt to create an EmuNAND.
  • GodMode9 → (HOME) button → More...SD format menuRedNAND size (min)Auto|GM9SD| → button combo → <A> yes
  • :!: Make sure there are no important files on the SD card as making an EmuNAND erases everything.

Further instructions will depend on the outcome.

Outcome (A) If you are successful, there should appear [E:] EMUNAND VIRTUAL with the size of 943.0 MB. The EmuNAND won't have a functional 3DS firmware but that's okay as we can build off from there.

-or-
Outcome (B) The o2DS crashes or could not carry out creating the EmuNAND on the SD card.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: fmkid

KeyMerVin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You diagnosed the issue correctly. It's a dead NAND chip.

Because this hardbrick happened years ago, I am assuming you never got a chance to hack the o2DS and back up a copy of its very own SysNAND *.bin image.

You have the right idea about switching over to an EmuNAND setup when the eMMC is dead.
However, the o3DS SysNAND *.bin image can't be directly used on the o2DS due to console unique encryption.

I am not sure if it's possible to create an EmuNAND on the SD card that is compatible or recognizable to the o2DS when there is no template to go off from,

• (1) The eMMC is [ dead / unreadable / missing ].
  • (2) The SysNAND *.bin image was never made before or no copy exists.

LATE EDIT - Bypassing a fried NAND chip with an EmuNAND doesn't work. Here's why.
The only way to fix this hardware fault would be to solder in a replacement eMMC followed by restoring the SysNAND or rebuilding the 3DS firmware from scratch with Lazarus3DS.

Since you have nothing to lose at this point, see if this works.

1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
    • Use a small sized card, preferably 4 GB (minimum).
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
    • Make sure the card is [GOOD]. Do not use it if result comes back as [BAD].
    • h2testw_menu-png.210567
      h2testw_results-png.210862
  4. Delete the *.h2w test files. Download GodMode9, rename GodMode9.firmboot.firm, and add this to the root the SD card.

Even though the NAND chip is hardbricked, as long as the o2DS is still able to turn on and greet you with the BOOTROM 8046 error message, it should be possible to...

5. Access and launch GodMode9 via the ntrboot [ES] method.
  • This requires a compatible DS flashcart reflashed in ntrboot mode. Not any model flashcart will do. Only those on the ntrboot list can be used.
  • Instead of using SafeB9SInstaller for the sdmc:/boot.firm , keep instead GodMode9 as the substitution.
6. Attempt to create an EmuNAND.
  • GodMode9 → (HOME) button → More...SD format menuRedNAND size (min)Auto|GM9SD| → button combo → <A> yes
  • :!: Make sure there are no important files on the SD card as making an EmuNAND erases everything.

Further instructions will depend on the outcome.

Outcome (A) If you are successful, there should appear [E:] EMUNAND VIRTUAL with the size of 943.0 MB. The EmuNAND won't have a functional 3DS firmware but that's okay as we can build off from there.

-or-
Outcome (B) The o2DS crashes or could not carry out creating the EmuNAND on the SD card.

What I ended up doing was buying a motherboard in aliexpress. It´s a EEUU motherboard for an European console, but I hope it works. Once I have installed it, I´ll warn people not to play online and will install b9s, make a nand copy, etc

Thank you ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it's dumb