Hardware o3DS bricked. Is it fixable with a MCU replacement?

Revanski

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A while ago, (one of) my o3DS bricked with the blue screen. It doesn't have any sort of cfw, in fact i dont think the SD card was ever even taken out of it. I saw online that it is either a software problem (NAND) or a hardware problem (Microcontroller). Is there any way to tell? Is it fixable even if it is a hardware problem? If so, where could I find a replacement part?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sounds like a faulty NAND. In theory you could use ntrboot to skip sysNAND and load into an emuNAND on SD, but Luma3DS for some reason won't load into emuNAND if you don't have a working sysNAND. You still need a NAND dump to make an emuNAND, but you could potentially modify one from another console to work, so that's not the biggest hurdle. It's an o3DS though, I don't think they go for much, so you could get a used one for cheap and sell the one you have as bricked, someone will want it for parts. Or take this opportunity to upgrade to a n3DS.

Revanski

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like a faulty NAND. In theory you could use ntrboot to skip sysNAND and load into an emuNAND on SD, but Luma3DS for some reason won't load into emuNAND if you don't have a working sysNAND. You still need a NAND dump to make an emuNAND, but you could potentially modify one from another console to work, so that's not the biggest hurdle. It's an o3DS though, I don't think they go for much, so you could get a used one for cheap and sell the one you have as bricked, someone will want it for parts. Or take this opportunity to upgrade to a n3DS.
Okay, thanks for the advice. Do you have any links that could point me in that direction?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks for the advice. Do you have any links that could point me in that direction?

Brick caused by soft(ware) bootrom 8046.
Brick caused by hard(ware) bootrom 8046.

Revanski

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Brick caused by soft(ware) bootrom 8046.
  • [3ds.hacks.guide] ntrboot + R4i Gold 3DS Plus
  • Repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.
Brick caused by hard(ware) bootrom 8046.
  • [ifixit] Nintendo 3DS
  • [aliexpress] Original USA Version Motherboard for 3DS Mainboard PCB Board Replacement Spare Part
even though i never touched anything firmware wise, is it still possible that it could be a soft brick and thus fixable with ntrboot and the r4 cartridge? or would that suggest it needs a motherboard replacement?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even though i never touched anything firmware wise, is it still possible that it could be a soft brick and thus fixable with ntrboot and the r4 cartridge? or would that suggest it needs a motherboard replacement?
That depends.

A likely scenario of a software blue screens of death is where the 3DS doesn't have custom firmware but does uses a Gateway 3DS flashcart. Those who system update the 3DS firmware to a version newer than 11.2 will experience the infamous gateway softbrick the next time they launch the flashcart.

It's possible to end up with a hardware blue screens of death 'doing nothing' by leaving the 3DS plugged in to the AC charger during a thunderstorm.
The error code helps to distinguish whether the bootrom 8046 is a software brick vs hardware brick.

Error codes will vary depending on the exact underlying cause of the brick, but the general rule of thumb is as follows.

If the third row readout has FF's, this is a software brick.
BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800FF

F8F8FFFF FFFFFFFF
00000000 00000000

Description: Both the firm0 and firm1 partitions are corrupt (failed signature checks).

However, if that line has 00's, it's a hardware brick.
BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800FE

00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

Description: NAND not found error (?)

Reactions: fmkid and E1ite007

Revanski

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am seeing a whole lot zeros unfortunately.

This means a motherboard replacement i assume?

If so, is it even worth it in your opinion?

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada

Honestly, dude it really depends on what you want. How much do you value this DS? I know, if my o3DS turned to be bricked, I'd try my absolute hardest to fix it. Because it's a huge part of my childhood, even though it sucked.

Just think to yourself man, is it going to benefit you?

Unless, you have the money to buy a new 3DS all-together, replace it.

Reactions: Revanski
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Replacing the motherboard would be an option if you wish to salvage that o3DS. This depends if you're comfortable with opening up electronics. You will need a philips screwdriver sized 'PH00' along with the replacement mobo like the one listed in post #6.

It's technically possible to revive a bad motherboard that has a dead/fried NAND chip, but it's not so cheap or easy to pull off.

Basically, use a hot air rework station to remove the dead chip, cleanup the solder balls, mount an microSD card slot reader in place, solder some fine gage wires between the reader and data pinout points on the motherboard, and then use a 2 GB microSD card as the replacement NAND chip. There's also the hurdle rebuilding the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with a donor o3DS nand images & Lazarus3DS.

Easiest option would be to sell your dead o3DS as-is for spare parts and get a replacement 3DS. When Nintendo starts selling hard goods again at their online stores, see my signature for official refurbished system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ