Status
Not open for further replies.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
While today it is easier to rip on the Wii, there are a few DVD drives which are capable of ripping both GC and Wii discs with a PC: http://wiki-scene.com/Wii_Disc_Backup/

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Most likely. I don't know how the structure of a scrubbed GC ISO compares to that of a non-scrubbed one, so I don't know if tueidj didn't mention it because it's a given (structures are the same?), but like I said above, his post seemed specific enough to clearly state that it's going to need to remain completely un scrubbed; A clean, 100% original, untouched, unmodified, unscrubbed, uncompressed, 1.3GB rip in order for it to work.
If that's the case then I sure hope there will be an app that can convert a scrubbed image to work with Devolution. Probably like half of the GC images floating around are gcm.
maybe you should use your own gamecube images then?

Maybe he doesn't want to wear out his Wii's laser ripping discs?

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely. I don't know how the structure of a scrubbed GC ISO compares to that of a non-scrubbed one, so I don't know if tueidj didn't mention it because it's a given (structures are the same?), but like I said above, his post seemed specific enough to clearly state that it's going to need to remain completely un scrubbed; A clean, 100% original, untouched, unmodified, unscrubbed, uncompressed, 1.3GB rip in order for it to work.
If that's the case then I sure hope there will be an app that can convert a scrubbed image to work with Devolution. Probably like half of the GC images floating around are gcm.
maybe you should use your own gamecube images then?

Maybe he doesn't want to wear out his Wii's laser ripping discs?
Maybe he does :whip:

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
^ When playing games, the Wii doesn't read ALL of the disc's contents, just the data it needs at that specific moment. When ripping discs, it has to read all of the disc's contents to make a full dump.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You are wrong, it does read all of the data.
If it did not there would be no point in it being there.
Most of it is likely be read MANY times.

Well for really small games you might be right but I doubt there are many of those.

Reactions: 1 person

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes, but it doesn't read nearly as much data as when you're dumping the whole game. Plus you would be dumping plenty of games rather than just one, many of which you probably already beat by this point and thus your Wii would never have re-read otherwise (not entirely at least) unless you replayed them.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but it doesn't read nearly as much data as when you're dumping the whole game. Plus you would be dumping plenty of games rather than just one, many of which you probably already beat by this point and thus your Wii would never have re-read otherwise (not entirely at least) unless you replayed them.

If you already beat it why would you want it on your hard drive lol. Just to take up space?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he has lots of GC games, his Wii will have to use its laser to read A LOT of data.

Precisely, some people (like me) have a Wii that was released in 2006, meaning that the disc drive is six years old. I back up my games to a USB hard drive for that very reason, to avoid wear and tear. I hear that if the Wii's DVD-ROM drive stops working, it won't boot to the system menu.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So you never play games you already beat?
If you replay them then your disc drive will need to read them again. I fail to see your logic there. Your original point in reference to already beaten games was your wii wouldn't have to read them again unless you ripped them to your hard drive. But if you're going to replay them anyway, that is not the case, as they'd have to be read when being replayed.

On this point, it makes more sense to rip the game once if you're going to have multiple play-throughs which will obviously require far more disc reading than ripping the entire disc once.

Precisely, some people (like me) have a Wii that was released in 2006, meaning that the disc drive is six years old. I back up my games to a USB hard drive for that very reason, to avoid wear and tear. I hear that if the Wii's DVD-ROM drive stops working, it won't boot to the system menu.

I believe SM will load, but nothing else (e.g. WW and VC channels won't work etc.)

Reactions: 1 person

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
"I don't want to use my disk drive to read discs. It might break and then I won't be able to use it to read discs any more."
So people will indeed have to rip all of their GC games themselves?

If he has lots of GC games, his Wii will have to use its laser to read A LOT of data.

And it would be pretty funny and ironic if your Wii's laser died when you're dumping your games for Devolution.

If you replay them then your disc drive will need to read them again. I fail to see your logic there.
So in your mind, the only reason to play games you beat is to replay them? I assume you never to back to play (not replay) beaten games for stuff you missed during the story? You never do any sidequest or 100% any game? And what about games that offer extra, post-story content?

On this point, it makes more sense to rip the game once if you're going to have multiple play-throughs which will obviously require far more disc reading than ripping the entire disc once.
Of course. But what about games you don't plan to replay but still have reasons to go back to?

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have a wii from 2006 as well, totally failed disc drive. I have to use another wii to rip games

If you replay them then your disc drive will need to read them again. I fail to see your logic there. Your original point in reference to already beaten games was your wii wouldn't have to read them again unless you ripped them to your hard drive. But if you're going to replay them anyway, that is not the case, as they'd have to be read when being replayed.

I believe SM will load, but nothing else (e.g. WW and VC channels won't work etc.)

They will load as long as the drive is still plugged in (the logic board is what matters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Apple could make a find my AirPods thing pretty easily +1