Getting Mario Kart Double Dash Lan mode to work with Devolution -$100 bounty

Briicksquiid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I have also been working on this concept, but ran into some similar issues to BlackTSQ, when trying to get multiple when using multiple wiis running nintendont. Upon finding this thread I decided I would take a look a devolution as well.

Based on the reading I did on this an other threads I went back to the assertions of tueidj that he could get multiple systems to connect. I also picked up that tueidj may have been using a wifi based connection instead of an Ethernet based one.

I tested the following configurations

1) 2 wiis - both on wifi
2) 2 wiis - one wired, one wifi
3) 2 wiis - both wired
4) 3 wiis - all on wifi
5) 3 wiis - 1 on wifi, 2 wired.

These were all done with fixed ip address. I have attached wireshark logs where collection started from the title screen of MKDD. I filtered the capture based on the Wii ip addresses but there are some nuisance signal that got through from other sources.

Here are my results:
1) When the wiis were both connected to wifi no matter who open lan mode first a connection was sucessfull.
2) If the wii on wifi started lan mode first the connection would work, however if the wired wii entered the lan menu first they would not connect and the search would time out. ( I have logs for both senarios but I assume they would be similar to others.)
3) Like BlackTSQ and others the wiis never found each other when connected in this way.
4) No matter the order of entering lan setup all wiis connected.
5) When the wii on wifi entered set up first it would find both wiis, the first ethernet wii would find the wifi wii and the last wii would freeze on the loading screen. This is similar to some of the issues descirbed in the GC Forever forum, when wiis were connected to dolphin instances of the the game.

I am not to savy with packets, so I don't know what the messaging difference are between the tests.

In the GC forever forum Mr. lester says
"i suspect devolution has the same BBA mac address as its other wii counterpart does. having the same mac address causes problems. testing the same BBA mac addresses with 2 dolphins does causes similar results. if emulator inconsistencies between dolphin and devo didn't exist I suspect the results would be the same. if i knew how to modify devolution's code to test this, i would.

tldr: devo has the same BBA mac address no matter what console it's in, therefore causing network problems."

I wonder if this could be the issue? I am not sure how to check. According to what I saw on my router when both wiis were connected this is not the case for the hardware, but maybe there is some internal reference?

Hopes this data can help.

Attachments

• WiresharkWiis.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: BlackTSQ

BlackTSQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello,

I have also been working on this concept, but ran into some similar issues to BlackTSQ, when trying to get multiple when using multiple wiis running nintendont. Upon finding this thread I decided I would take a look a devolution as well.

Based on the reading I did on this an other threads I went back to the assertions of tueidj that he could get multiple systems to connect. I also picked up that tueidj may have been using a wifi based connection instead of an Ethernet based one.

I tested the following configurations

1) 2 wiis - both on wifi
2) 2 wiis - one wired, one wifi
3) 2 wiis - both wired
4) 3 wiis - all on wifi
5) 3 wiis - 1 on wifi, 2 wired.

These were all done with fixed ip address. I have attached wireshark logs where collection started from the title screen of MKDD. I filtered the capture based on the Wii ip addresses but there are some nuisance signal that got through from other sources.

Here are my results:
1) When the wiis were both connected to wifi no matter who open lan mode first a connection was sucessfull.
2) If the wii on wifi started lan mode first the connection would work, however if the wired wii entered the lan menu first they would not connect and the search would time out. ( I have logs for both senarios but I assume they would be similar to others.)
3) Like BlackTSQ and others the wiis never found each other when connected in this way.
4) No matter the order of entering lan setup all wiis connected.
5) When the wii on wifi entered set up first it would find both wiis, the first ethernet wii would find the wifi wii and the last wii would freeze on the loading screen. This is similar to some of the issues descirbed in the GC Forever forum, when wiis were connected to dolphin instances of the the game.

I am not to savy with packets, so I don't know what the messaging difference are between the tests.

In the GC forever forum Mr. lester says
"i suspect devolution has the same BBA mac address as its other wii counterpart does. having the same mac address causes problems. testing the same BBA mac addresses with 2 dolphins does causes similar results. if emulator inconsistencies between dolphin and devo didn't exist I suspect the results would be the same. if i knew how to modify devolution's code to test this, i would.

tldr: devo has the same BBA mac address no matter what console it's in, therefore causing network problems."

I wonder if this could be the issue? I am not sure how to check. According to what I saw on my router when both wiis were connected this is not the case for the hardware, but maybe there is some internal reference?

Hopes this data can help.
Very interesting! I wasn't even able to have any devolution systems find each other over wifi.
Do you mind sharing what wifi router you are using?

I don't think it has something to do with the mac addresses, as far as i could tell they all had different macs. But i gotta check again to be 100% sure. Devolution logs the mac address at start up so i guess thats probably the best place to check 🤔

Briicksquiid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very interesting! I wasn't even able to have any devolution systems find each other over wifi.
Do you mind sharing what wifi router you are using?

I don't think it has something to do with the mac addresses, as far as i could tell they all had different macs. But i gotta check again to be 100% sure. Devolution logs the mac address at start up so i guess thats probably the best place to check 🤔
I am using a Netgear R6080.

Reactions: BlackTSQ

GreendelaBean

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad I found this thread as it could spell trouble for what I'm planning. I have got 3 Wiis + Wii U and was going to run a Double Dash 16 man side event at a smash tourney.

As a side, anyone got a good source for multiple cheap Wii-Compatible ethernet adapters?

I will try and report back with my setup (will have to use WiFi for now until I get the adapters), would be interesting to see if using a Wii U makes any difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto