XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I speculate that everyone will be giving tueidj much respect , when its all said and done
everyone already does :D

edit:

[title:Offtopic Star Wars Trivia]
Really offtopic so that's why the spoiler

I speculate that, when released, Devolution will make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

Did you know that a parsec is actually a unit of distance, not time? What makes that so impressive is that the kessel run is riddled with blackhole clusters, and in order to avoid their gravitational pull you have to give them a wide berth, which results in a trip zig-zag-like trip that is a lot further than a straight line from one end to the other.

Basically on the run where Han Solo dropped Jabba's cargo while being pursued by the Imperials, he was flying so close to the blackholes (but still fast enough to avoid their gravitational pull) and he and Chewie didn't notice until after evading the imperials that they actually pulled off the kessel run in under 12 parsecs (which is a lot shorter distance than typically required, I can't remember what's typical atm, but still)

And yea, in case your wondering, I know a lot more about star wars than just that stormtroopers like to hump Wii's.

Reactions: 2 people

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FYI, one parsec is the unit of distance from the earth to the sun, if I recollect, which I've totally forgotten
really off topic here, but hey.

No a parsec isn't the distance from the sun to the earth. That is an astronomical unit (AU). A parsec is the distance from a baseline of 1AU when the angle of the arc is 1 second. This image explains it, sorry couldn't find an English one:

El_parsec.png

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No a parsec isn't the distance from the sun to the earth. That is an astronomical unit (AU). A parsec is the distance from a baseline of 1AU when the angle of the arc is 1 second. This image explains it, sorry couldn't find an English one:

And while a parsec being a measurement of distance rather than time sounds as if George made a mistake with the Kessel run line, he says it's because the Millenium Falcon's navigation computer was able to safely plot a shorter route than any other ship.
Just because you're travelling faster than the speed of light, doesn't mean you can't crash into something.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

And while a parsec being a measurement of distance rather than time sounds as if George made a mistake with the Kessel run line, he says it's because the Millenium Falcon's navigation computer was able to safely plot a shorter route than any other ship.
Just because you're travelling faster than the speed of light, doesn't mean you can't crash into something.
XFlak already explained that... :P

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidjs prolly just eatin up all this speculation

"muhahah these people think they know so much they don't know nothin"

Reactions: 1 person

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

XFlak already explained that... :P

What he said in his spoiler didn't mention the navigation computer and suggested it was accidental. btw The standard distance is 18 parsecs.

There is reasonable evidence that George intended parsec to be a time measurement & he could have stuck to that as Star Wars has it's own language. Although we hear mostly english in the films, that doesn't mean that is the language the characters speak. It can't be as the films took place before the language was invented, films set on earth before the language was invented (i.e. troy, gladiator etc) shouldn't be in english either but it would severely limit the number of people willing to sit through a film if they couldn't understand it.
As names of things can't necessarily be translated, in the Star Wars universe they could use the word parsec to mean a distance & we'd just have to accept it.

However he managed to come up with a clever tweak that actually makes sense, so he didn't need to fight the point.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Someone earlier made the analogy that speculating a release date is like an annoying kid in the back seat asking "Are we there yet?" repeatedly. Last time I checked, asking "are we there yet" doesn't help anyone get there faster.
Except the right analogy would be "I predict/speculate we will arrive in X hours", rather than "are we there yet?" :P It's still pointless, though, but this whole thread has been a pointless mess since it has been posted, so..

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, back on topic then:

I assume Devolution has some way of keeping the GameCube games down to the correct speed. It would be nice if it had some way to temporarily turn that off and "fast forward" through certain otherwise unskippable parts of games leaving them at Wii clock speed like this video:
Well, I will just leave this video here
[yt]GlzVpo5IPdM[/yt]
While he's at it, it would be cool to add a slow motion option as well by just overdoing the slow down process.

Reactions: 1 person

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, back on topic then:

I assume Devolution has some way of keeping the GameCube games down to the correct speed. It would be nice if it had some way to temporarily turn that off and "fast forward" through certain otherwise unskippable parts of games leaving them at Wii clock speed like this video:
Well, I will just leave this video here
[yt]GlzVpo5IPdM[/yt]
While he's at it, it would be cool to add a slow motion option as well by just overdoing the slow down process.
I too have much faith in Devolution. Judging from how PS1, N64 and Saturn games emulate on the Wii, do you think he'd even attempt to make a Gamecube emulator unless he was able to utilize the Gamecube hardware/software on the Wii?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Devolution is not an emulator like the PS1, N64 and Saturn Ones.
The gamecube and wii processor use the same instructions, so the processor doesn't need to be emulated.

Other emulators need to use dynamic recompilation, to emulate a number of cpu instructions that do a specific thing all at once,
since it's nearly impossible to emulate a foreign cpu full speed.
This dynamic recompilation doesn't always work well with every game.

Devolution works more like virtualbox or vmware on a pc, to run a virtual machine inside another.
I don't have the exact details either, but if you ever used a virtual pc, you will know that it's speed is good compared to running a native machine.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Devolution is not an emulator like the PS1, N64 and Saturn Ones.
The gamecube and wii processor use the same instructions, so the processor doesn't need to be emulated.

Other emulators need to use dynamic recompilation, to emulate a number of cpu instructions that do a specific thing all at once,
since it's nearly impossible to emulate a foreign cpu full speed.
This dynamic recompilation doesn't always work well with every game.

Devolution works more like virtualbox or vmware on a pc, to run a virtual machine inside another.
I don't have the exact details either, but if you ever used a virtual pc, you will know that it's speed is good compared to running a native machine.
So kind of like SNEEK but emulating a Gamecube instead of a Wii? Or is that something else?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sneek uses it's own es and fs module which are both part of the ios running on the arm processor of the wii.
es bypasses some security checks, and fs reroutes nand acces to sd card or usb drive.

Devolution makes the cube game run on the ppc in it's own virtual emulated cube machine.
cube games don't use the ios, as the original gamecube wasn't having an arm processor.
The devolution code that creates the virtual cube can use the running ios.
That's why it will be possible in the future to use the wii remote instead of a gamecube controller.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I guess the similarity there is SNEEK+DI just emulates, for example, the NAND using the SD card and the drive using USB. Devolution can emulate the drive and memory card using SD/USB and the eventually the gamecube controller using a classic controller.

Otherwise they both run most processor instructions natively.

[annoying insistence :P ]
Similarly, running a GameCube or Wii game on the PS3 or 360 would have to emulate nearly ALL of the hardware but at least MOST of the processor instructions could be run natively.
[/annoying insistence :P ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with...