Hacking Devolution Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I guess if someone dev's something and annouces that sooner or later it will be released . that in itself is the reason the speculation begins... when will it... what will it ... how will it.... this whole forum would be probably 50% smaller if those questions didnt exist , doesnt stop the question being pointless though lol.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Programmers are usually very bad in calculating the estimated time it will take to finish a program.
If you multiply their scheduled time * 2, you usually come closer to the real needed time.
So, if Tueidj was thinking about approx. 2 months, we should make 4 of it, which means somewhere in july or august (2012)
This is not meant as trolling or attacking him. Everyone managing programmers will more or less agree with me.

I just hope Tueidj will prove I am wrong (this time) (He did before on other subjects.)

Reactions: 1 person

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
what is the point in speculating the release date then exactly? As far as I can tell it's just for your amusement (which is fine, but don't tell me there's a real point to it).

Even if tueidj came into this thread and announced a hard release date, what would that accomplish exactly? Are you going to start ripping GC games to prepare for its release? Oh wait, you can't because you would need devolution (or at least a helluvalot more info) to rip them in a devolution friendly format.

Someone earlier made the analogy that speculating a release date is like an annoying kid in the back seat asking "Are we there yet?" repeatedly. Last time I checked, asking "are we there yet" doesn't help anyone get there faster.

The only reason why I think it's silly is because release date speculation doesn't add any value. I try to make sure all my posts add some kind of value (with the exception of this post of course), so that's why I find it silly. But plz don't be offended, I don't think people that make silly posts are stupid, I just think it's annoying to have to catch up on a whole page's worth of posts where everyone is randomly guessing a release date. All we know for certain is that it hasn't been released yet.

edit: my main point is patience is a virtue. Just chill out and it will be released before you know it.

edit2: this post wasn't directed @ obcd

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I assume the point is hoping tueidj dropping in with perhaps a new estimate.
It might keep everybody quiet till that date?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Even if tueidj came into this thread and announced a hard release date, what would that accomplish exactly? Are you going to start ripping GC games to prepare for its release? Oh wait, you can't because you would need devolution (or at least a helluvalot more info) to rip them in a devolution friendly format.
You can rip all your games (if they haven't been done already), Devolution uses original untouched ISO format (and nothing else).

Reactions: 1 person

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if my sons first words are tueidj (however its pronounced) then can i get an early copy :)

Im glad to hear the above news. except for that some of my rips are in gcreex format, thats gonna blow to have to re-iso (proper term??) them.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can rip all your games (if they haven't been done already), Devolution uses original untouched ISO format (and nothing else).
As I recall, when I ripped my GC games via USB using Viper GC Extreme, they ended up as *.gcm. Think that's pretty much the same as an ISO, except with a different file extension. Could just change the extension if that's a problem....

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So does that also mean not even any shrunken ISO images? :D

I will now proceed to speculate that the original disk must be present the first time to "validate" or "install" the ISO image for use with Devolution into a list of sorts that is signed for use exclusively with that console.
I will also speculate that devolution will not actually have it's own ripping ability but will hope you know how to use cleanrip.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I will now proceed to speculate that the original disk must be present the first time to "validate" or "install" the ISO image for use with Devolution into a list of sorts that is signed for use exclusively with that console.
IIRC devolution is supposed to work on the new horizontal wii's that can't read GC disks... I can't even begin to speculate how tueidj's gonna have this work in the end, but I got no doubt that he'll be able to pull it off

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The newer wiis won't be supported until I add wiimote support (for obvious reasons) and as previously stated that won't be included in the initial release.

Reactions: 3 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What does a pc dvd drive do with a GC disc?
AFAIK you can not read the actual data.
But what exactly is the reaction?

Because if that reaction is (mostly) bijective to the game that would be sufficient to let an pc app do the authentication
eg for ppl whose wii cant read gc discs (they would of course might need to dl the actual data from the inet)
Most PC drives are capable of doing the necessary steps to check the authenticity of a GC game, but because the OS normally tries to read the disc's actual data as soon as it is inserted the drive ends up stuck in a read-error-retry loop before any program has a chance to do anything.
Just a guess.

er ... I mean "speculation" :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?