jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deaths-Door-Key-Art-1021x580.png

Deaths door is a simple but charming traditional action RPG in an "Indy-esque" isometric view the unity engine is known for.
Completed with a 94% completion rating in 5:58 on PC with a Switch pro controller.

Gameplay

Anyone who likes or is familiar with 2D Zelda will be right at home. The inspiration is apparent but it has enough new tricks to skirt the clone label. The game utilizes "Deaths doors" for teleporting to keep a quick pace. You wont find a lot of expansive terrain to travail without content, the game succeeds at keeping the action, puzzle and dungeons coming rapid fire. The combat really shines for an ARPG. It builds on the classic slash and range tropes of a 2D Zelda with some satisfying dodge mechanics. Deaths door has a more action-centric pace with some inspiration from bullet hell and rogue likes. The puzzles are standard switch and block fare with a few clever takes and all well thought out. The isometric view throws in some new twists that wouldn't work in a traditional over head.

Presentation

The art & plot are very Miyazaki-esque. The game has a very relaxing muted aesthetic, the characters have an interesting quirky charm without being different just for the sake of being odd.
The game plays with some traditional tropes "A reaper collecting souls" and delves in to the meaning of life & fear of death in a creative way and has some solid genuine humor scattered about.
So many unity games are visually similar but it's all done very well here. The world seems very original and organic. It's hard to find anything to nitpick. I generally dislike Isometric views, I prefer a little more character focus and larger size but this game nails it without everything feeling small.

Sound

The sound track is stellar, the music had a very low key chill beats vibe. It reminded me of Chronotrigger through out and it all fits together beautifully. The weapon sounds were all on point and impactful.

Lasting Replay

It's a one and done, it could of been milked with a new game+ and a harder mode but it's a very satisfying single play thru that doesn't need to be revisited.

Overall

The game has some serious charm, quality puzzles and some very tight & fun ARPG combat. It is a fairly short game but I was shocked that I completed it in about 6 hours when it felt like I had more in to it.
Any developers working on a new Zelda title should take notes from the combat, while keeping the traditional formula they did a great job improving the pace and adding some dynamic challenge.
The game is somewhat short, but if you want a fun familiar puzzler with great combat I can't recommend this game enough.

Grade A-.

Last edited by jimbo13,
Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: hi guys, i installed some games using the WUP installer and in the settings the drive shows the...