Zelda's Adventure, one of the infamous CDi titles, gets a Game Boy demake

The trilogy of Zelda titles on the CDi have been a topic of interest and curiosity for many Zelda fans, mostly due to their bad reputation on the franchise from one of the worst decisions Nintendo has ever made in their career in terms of business decision, with the partnership with Phillips and their CDi console leading to the creation of one of their biggest competitors, Sony and their PlayStation console.

The first 2 side-scrolling CD-i titles, Link: Faces of Evil, Zelda: Wand of Gamelon, got full fan remasters just a couple of years ago back in 2020, with the remasters fixing a lot of the issues that many people throughout the years complaint about the original games, alongside a lot of other great quality of life features that make the games a worthwhile experience. However, that still left the original, and the odd one of the bunch, Zelda's Adventure out of the picture, since that title had a whole different play-style compared to the other 2, with this one being a top-down styled game, in the same vein as the classic 2D Zelda experience, albeit, with a lot of flaws and cons, which the the CDi releases are well known for.

Homebrew developer, John Lay, has worked on a complete recreation of Zelda's Adventure for quite some time, but this isn't a remaster like the other 2 titles, instead, Lay opted to recreate the game from the groundup on the Game Boy.

John Lay said:

Background​

In the 1990s Nintendo made a deal with Philips to develop 3 Zelda titles. The first 2 were side scrolling platformers, similar to Zelda II, and the third was a traditional top-down action adventure game.

Zelda’s Adventure looked interesting and I thought it would be fun to play on a portable system. I chose the Game Boy because of the existing Zelda games on the system.

The game sticks to the aesthetics of Link’s Awakening, but also incorporates some features from Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.

This is a complete port of the CDi original and was developed in GB Studio, with a few modifications. Thanks to Beatscribe for composing the music. I hope you enjoy playing the game as much as enjoyed making it.

In order to create the game, John Lay worked with GB Studio, and created the gameplay and aesthetics to be similar to those found in Link's Awakening, with some additional inspiration from the Oracle titles as well. With this, Lay has successfully recreated Zelda's Adventure 1:1 into the Game Boy, keeping the overall layout, structure and story found in the original, with the charming graphical and gameplay style of Link's Awakening.

Game's synopsis said:

Your Quest​

It is the Age of Darkness.

The evil Ganon has captured the young hero Link. Only Princess Zelda can rescue him. Her journey will be difficult, filled with many challenges and mysteries. Armed only with the advice of the wise court astronomer Gaspra, and the guidance of Shurmak, Zelda must set out on her journey deep into the uncharted southeastern region of Hyrule, known as Tolemac.

Before she begins, Gaspra warns her that the only way to save Link is to collect the seven Celestial Signs that Ganon has stolen, and that she must overcome one final obstacle: Ganon himself. Once she succeeds, she gains the knowledge and strength to rescue Link and brings the magical land of Hyrule into the Age of Lightness.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played this and love it i look forward to anything else this creator has planned with full anticipation.
Post automatically merged:

I imagine It can be converted to .cia and work on 3ds aswell, so yeah plenty of options for real hardware.
I could actually do that but who'd want that on their 3ds or wii u?

MoshpitWorkout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All GBStudio games feel like they share the same template engine, and even lack MANY basic things, like the way items pop-out, the screen move scrolling, the in software music tracker its very limited, yeah......i get it, the idea of making games with no programming (coding) skills sounds tempting, specially making games to run in real hardware, but quite frankly sounds more rewarding to learn Contruct2 or 3
To be honest, the existence of GBStudio was the most mind-blowing part of this release for me. Being able to use a drag-and-drop GUI to build GameBoy games is such a massive advancement from back in the day when making homebrew required specific compilers and obscure libraries distributed in forum threads.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True but this is a real good game and a breath of fresh air its not another hack made with link to the past as the amount of nods made with that game got very annoying

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Do you hate every word in the world?

All words have been made up by people at some point lol
Forcibly made up, not organically.

People just invent words for fun, but mostly use them to sound elitist and more smart, and to feel to be part of a special group that they only know what those words mean, just like how some professions have special words that no ordinary human understand unless they know that field.
So yeah...it's a bit snobbish, especially when used for that purpose and all the time in groups with people of all profiles.
That's not normal speak.

I cant stand that. But that's just me, and if you feel fine about it, cool...

Last edited by Metoroid0,

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
Are there proper GameBoy versions of the other two, or just the PC look-a-likes? The goal of course being to play all 3 on 3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+