Hacking Custome textures in VC?

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I went back about 20 pages of threads, and couldn't find anything, so I'm asking...

There are a ton of "texture" hacks for Zelda OoT, and was wondering is there a way to do this in a VC channel? Since there are no good n64 emus for the Wii, that option isn't viable yet...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the texture modifications are done externally. There aren't really any tools for N64 roms that allow you to patch them so easily.

I agree, though, that a high resolution texture patch would be excellent.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
it might be possible, we have ocarina a homebrew app thats an action replay of sorts, if someone could make an app to load the textures then the game like emulators do then it would work, would require some work tho

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
it might be possible, we have ocarina a homebrew app thats an action replay of sorts, if someone could make an app to load the textures then the game like emulators do then it would work, would require some work tho

Too heavy on resources.

Texture tools are offered for Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and Mario 64... extending it to more games isn't hard.

Treflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be easy to inject a texture hacked rom into a vc title, I've done it with a hacked mario 64. I tried with OoT however and it didn't work (I think there is some filesize limitation; 64 mb I think? something to do with ram. don't hold me to anything though!)

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treflex said:
It'll be easy to inject a texture hacked rom into a vc title, I've done it with a hacked mario 64. I tried with OoT however and it didn't work (I think there is some filesize limitation; 64 mb I think? something to do with ram. don't hold me to anything though!)

Um... right...

Each game uses its own engine, which is why the textures aren't universal.

Treflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must have misunderstood me, teq. I'm not saying I tried using mario textures with OoT. I downloaded and applied the hi-res cel shaded texture pack for OoT and injected the modified rom into the OoT vc release. (and it didn't work for me)

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treflex said:
You must have misunderstood me, teq. I'm not saying I tried using mario textures with OoT. I downloaded and applied the hi-res cel shaded texture pack for OoT and injected the modified rom into the OoT vc release. (and it didn't work for me)

"Applied" it?

AFAIK, those high resolution packs don't patch the roms. Instead, they rely on a graphics plugin that loads the textures on the fly.

So, no, I don't think I've understood you.

Treflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the fly? I thought the video plugin permanently patched them into the rom after running it. (I suppose not?) Which leads me to the question of why it did did not work if I just swapped in the same rom. Oh well.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treflex said:
On the fly? I thought the video plugin permanently patched them into the rom after running it. (I suppose not?) Which leads me to the question of why it did did not work if I just swapped in the same rom. Oh well.

Probably a bad injection.

If you want to test what the plugin does, just delete the textures and see if the game still uses them.

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow... I didn't think this would turn into a huge discussion... thought I'd get a ton of flames, and have the thread closed...

I know that most "texture hacks" are done though a plugin, but was hoping there was a way to actually patch a ROM to include these textures.

If it can't be done, that's cool, but I was really hoping, lol

As for the Mario 64 textures in VC, how would I go about that?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
As for the Mario 64 textures in VC, how would I go about that?

Look up "Toad's Tool".

Not only can you edit the textures, but also the dialogue and models.

There's a tool that works for any rom called N64GFX, but replacing textures must be done by hand. Pair it with a good emulator that does debugging and it might be possible, albeit hard.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
I don't think we'll see a Project64 port to the wii. The last private build to paying subscribers was years ago.

That said, no Hi-rez OoT mod on the wii for a while.

Project64k wasn't what had the plugin... it was Rice's Video.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
You could've done something wrong, or had a bad dump of the game :/

The texture packs are loaded in for the emulator, not the game. Instead of loading the game's textures and displaying the, those textures you downloaded are imposed over "virtually" through the plug-in. The bad thing about this, is that those textures are usually faaaaar larger than the N64 would like. Luckily the N64 can't complain. Unluckily, the user has to deal with tons of individual textures and the absurd file sizes
frown.gif

Yoshi Party

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
External Textures on the Wii would be cool, but I don't think that the Wii has enough power for this->Master Quest runs just at fullspeed + the textures = laggy-.-

But I'm happy to see my Super Mario 64(2) Hack running on Wiis
->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHWwC88SyRc
->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p90NjDp1Yw

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
groovemeister said:
zidane_genome said:
I went back about 20 pages of threads, and couldn't find anything, so I'm asking...
Ahem.

That was talking about modded games... such as SNES and NES...

I'm talking about something COMPLETELY different! Getting texture files to work on the Wii, not getting Zelda Parallel Worlds on my Wii (which, btw, I already have in channel form!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay