Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that a new firmware was released
SEGA GENESIS FLASHBACK
(MODEL NO: FB3680)
V. 2.0.1 (released on Nov 28, 2019)

Do you happen to know if this offers much improvement on the 26th Feb 2019 that you made custom versions of or is it still as advised before as being the same file as previous?

If not then not to worry, it just means rebranding to a sega Genesis if I installed it on my European machine.

Thanks
Same update from Feb-2019...

Val9613

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good afternoon @rrifonas. Is it possible to listen to music albums on any of the three Sega CD bios menus and bios files through Genesis Plus GX? If so, that would be awesome considering that the Sega CD/Mega CD can play music cds and you would listen to the tracks through the bios menu.

Val9613

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Val9613, the custom firmware is nothing 'magical' or 'special', it's basically a hack in the Atgames menu to allow other file extensions to be loaded. Some other changes are the support to load the rom partition from the SD Card or use PicoDrive instead of Genesis Plus GX.

The 'retroplayer', which is responsible to load the libretro core, detect and configure controllers, etc., is not not touched at all.

I can't tell you if other controllers will work, I assume they will not or the lack of buttons would cause issues. You can try by yourself if you have them.
The ROMs will likely work, Master System works with restrictions (PAL games have audio delay or don't play well), and I've never tried to run SG-1000 games.

Hello again @rrifonas. I got my hands on a Sega Master System control pad and the Japanese version of the Sega Mouse. I tested both of them on the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018 version with the Master System games (both built-in to the system and on my SD card) and with games on my SD card that support the Sega Mouse. Unfortunately, I can confirm that neither controller works on the system. I looked up the Genesis Plus GX core online and it said that it can support these controllers:

User 1 device types
The Genesis Plus GX core supports the following device type(s) in the controls menu, bolded device types are the default for the specified user(s):

User 2 device types
Since you have told me that the 'retroplayer' is responsible to load the libretro core, detect and configure controllers, etc., and that it is not touched at all, is it possible to change the 'retroplayer' via another custom firmware update so that the two controller ports on the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018 version can not only work with the Master System controller and the Sega Mouse, but also work with other controllers and accessories for that were made for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive? I would like to know if it can be done.

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulated controllers is not the same thing as physical controllers. The core settings are for the emulated controller only. This device accepts only 6-button controllers if I'm not wrong

Val9613

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulated controllers is not the same thing as physical controllers. The core settings are for the emulated controller only. This device accepts only 6-button controllers if I'm not wrong

The 2017 version of the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback is the version that only accepts 6 button controllers. I asked a question to a YouTuber named OfficialReign and he confirmed to me that the 3-button controllers also work on the 2018 version of the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback. Here is the link to his video:

OfficialReign Sega Genesis HD Flashback 2018 Gameplay w/Sega 6 button Controller:

So that means that retroplayer can't be modified or hacked to work other controllers then?

ArtyBarfuncle

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I am having a problem with the stock roms disappearing when the sd card is installed!
I have rewritten the menu_launcher.sh file and just wondering how would i upload it through ftp, does anyone know the log in details,

and what program would fully extract and repack the sega_update file i have tried a number of iso programs and most come back as unreconized archive?

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I am having a problem with the stock roms disappearing when the sd card is installed!
I have rewritten the menu_launcher.sh file and just wondering how would i upload it through ftp, does anyone know the log in details,

and what program would fully extract and repack the sega_update file i have tried a number of iso programs and most come back as unreconized archive?

Try removing the mount_sd.ini and the .sh file from the root of your SD card and see if that will work.

And ImgRepackerRk is the tool to extract/repack the img file. You will also need mksquashfs (or a Linux client) to rebuild the .img files for the internal partitions they are in squashfs.

Last edited by rrifonas,

image45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Roms on https://romsmania.cc/ that play on the SEGA Mega Drive Flashback that used to be in Sonic the Hedgehog (JUE) [!].bin file format are now showing as downloading in apk files as an android app would install from. Has anyone else noticed this please. Its causing the anti virus to advise a risk if downloaded.

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Roms on https://romsmania.cc/ that play on the SEGA Mega Drive Flashback that used to be in Sonic the Hedgehog (JUE) [!].bin file format are now showing as downloading in apk files as an android app would install from. Has anyone else noticed this please. Its causing the anti virus to advise a risk if downloaded.

You shouldn't post links to any ROM sites here really. Now you have I will say that particular site has always been a scumbag site the way it distributes ROMs. I'd advise to steer clear. There are much better options if you search properly...

Imagine a planet full of emulation dot net all in French.!

Val9613

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello @rrifonas. Today, I decided to test out the Japanese Sega Mouse again for the second time on my AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018 version. Even though I said previously that the Sega Mouse did not work on the Sega Genesis Flashback, I decided to give it another try to fully ensure whether or not the Sega Mouse actually works. I used a regular controller to select two games on my SD card that support the Sega Mouse: The Japanese version of Marble Madness and Eye of the Beholder. When I disconnected my controller and connected the Sega Mouse on my Sega Genesis Flashback, I was able to get some rather odd results. When I connected the Sega Mouse to play Marble Madness, the game automatically takes me to the options menu and the controls start to drift uncontrollably. I tried this a second time and the game starts to automatically rewind. I had to disconnect the Sega Mouse and reconnect my regular controller to stop the rewinding. The uncontrollable rewinding also happened when I connected the Sega Mouse on my Sega Genesis Flashback to play Eye of the Beholder. Is this a common issue when connecting other Genesis/Mega Drive controllers on the Sega Genesis Flashback? If so, can this issue be fixed?

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have the hardware to test, and I really doubt it can be fixed.

You are pushing the device too hard. You want to use Sega Mouse, Master System controllers, you want the real deal, not an emulation machine. Or maybe a raspberry pi with converters.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused about the genesis mini/classic/flashback. does this work on the american version of the system? didn't the american version come out much later than the european or japanese versions? I think it came out last september.

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused about the genesis mini/classic/flashback. does this work on the american version of the system? didn't the american version come out much later than the european or japanese versions? I think it came out last september.

This is for the AtGames device (Genesis Flashback HD) released in 2018. It's not the same device released by Sega last September.
Genesis Flashback HD (2018) / Mega Drive Flashback HD (2018 & 2019) = AtGames, with cartridge slot and SD card slot, and support to original 6-button controller
Genesis Mini / Mega Drive Mini (released in Sep-Oct 2019) = Sega, can be used with Project Lunar or Hakchi to add games, uses USB controllers

Last edited by rrifonas,

gerardoyear2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, Thank you!!! you are a genius!!!! it is the easiest and most useful mod I ever tried, but I am having an issue. I already uploaded Sonic CD and other Sega CD games, they run well, but no sound is played. in case of Sonic CD, only the past zones music plays successfully. Would you please help me?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sos sega cd games like sonic is not playing its music except for the past zones. Please Help!

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you are only using the .bin file (1st track) so device is not finding the .cue file or the audio tracks. It's important to notice that Genesis Plus GX only support .bin+.cue or .chd files. If your audio tracks are in mp3 format, they will not work.
For Sonic CD, the "Past" music is PCM, they don't use Audio CD tracks.

simplyretrogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@rrifonas I installed the CFW to the 2018 Genesis Flashback which includes PicoDrive. Game Gear games do not work at all, no controller input (both wired and wireless) and games are completely inverted. I tired both booting GG from the SD card and Internal but both have the same issue.

This may be not something which can't be fixed due to the hardware limitations on the Flashback but some 32X games (2D and 3D games) have sound and boot issues (Games like Virtua Fighter and Star Wars Arcade run smoothly, in-game) but when have screen flashes issues when you boot up or crackling in the audio (in-game)

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Gear games will never work in Picodrive, the core does not support, this was already discussed before. 32x is a hit-and-miss, you may experience slow downs and crackling in the audio even with some overclock. The hardware is not fast enough, and the drivers are just bad to run something like RetroArch.

My recommendation is to keep the firmware with Genesis Plus GX, without 32x support.

And about the Legends Flashback 2019, it's the very same hardware from the Genesis Flasback 2018, but with less RAM if I'm not wrong. And there is no CFW for this device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo