custom firmware for sega flashback 2018

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by WD_GASTER2, Nov 17, 2018.

1. broie

broie Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2007
    I just picked up one of these randomly the other day I've yet to take it out of the box but I looked through this whole thread after finding it.

Was there ever any update from atgames about when a new firmware might hit or is that likely to never happen at this stage?

Is the audio/video desync really that bad of an issue with this on ntsc games or does it get to the point that some games are unplayable on it?

2. image45

image45 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Is the QR code in the screen shot from the About tab the one from your machine or actually generated by mine please?

The machine has your custom firmware thats based on 20190226.img with the assets (logos) from the Mega Drive Flash in the EU version.[

Attached Files:

3. rrifonas

rrifonas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    The serial number is different for each device.

image45 likes this.
  4. Val9613

Val9613 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    United States
    I had recently purchased a 32GB SD card last week and I was able to copy all of my roms onto it. I inserted the 32GB SD card onto my AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018 and after I tested several scenarios to make sure that everything worked properly, I am happy to say that the issue with the save states for my Sega CD roms has been fixed. I was able to create, overwrite, and delete any save states I created on my Sega CD roms. I picked a non-Sega CD rom (Sega Genesis, Master System, Game Gear, etc.) after playing one of my Sega CD roms, and the save states worked again. Thank you to those that tried to help me with my issue. If there are other issues regarding the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018 that I encounter, I will report them to this thread whenever I can. Once again, thank you!

5. broie

broie Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2007
    Can someone help with me this, I think the console may be bricked.
    I used the Mega Drive Genesis Plus GX custom firmware in the post above and put it on a SD card.

Put the SD card in booted it up and it prompted me to update, then I got a message and progress bar for "Installing System Update"

After about 5-10 minutes the progress bar disappears and then it looks like the console reboots and goes straight back to "Installing System Update".

Every 5-10 minutes the console seems to reboot itself, I left it on for over and hour and the same thing just keeps happening.

Eventually I switched off the console and removed the SD card, if I try to start the console now without the SD card I just get a black screen that says 'error' and nothing else if I put the SD card back in it goes back to the same loop of "Installing System Update"

Is there anything I can do? I've attached a picture of the sticker at the bottom of my console if that helps

Attached Files:

6. rrifonas

rrifonas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    Last edited by rrifonas, Nov 24, 2019
  7. Val9613

Val9613 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    United States
    Hello @rrifonas. I have a question regarding Sega CD roms on the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018. Is it possible to get multi-disc Sega CD roms (i.e. Night Trap, Slam City with Scottie Pippen, etc.) to work on the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018 with the Genesis Plus GX custom firmware update installed? If so, how does it work? I would like to know.

8. Excalibur007

Excalibur007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Heads up for the 28 November 2019 firmware update. The website shows that it was just updated, but the download file name has 2.0.1. Does anyone know if it was actually updated, or if it's just something trivial like changing the file name on their server?

Last edited by Excalibur007, Dec 1, 2019
  9. rrifonas

rrifonas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    Same files...

10. Val9613

Val9613 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    United States
    Hello @rrifonas. Here is a question regarding the recent 2.0.1 update for the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018. If we download this new update, would we lose the ability to play Master System, Game Gear, Sega CD, SG-1000, Sega Pico, and 32X games? Do both custom firmware updates (for Genesis Plus GX and Picodrive) need to be updated in order to get those same changes that the official update contains without losing the ability to play Master System, Game Gear, Sega CD, SG-1000, Sega Pico, and 32X games?

This is what the new update contains according to the AtGames Firmware Update Portal in the "Release Notes" section:

SEGA GENESIS FLASHBACK (MODEL NO: FB3680)

## Highlights
    - Add-on via SD card

## Miscellaneous
    - Audio fixes
    - UI changes
    - General performance and stability improvements

Also, do you think this new update will fix the sound and performance issues that the Sega Genesis version of Virtua Racing had when played on the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018? As someone that has played the Sega Genesis version of Virtua Racing on the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback 2018, I can tell you that the game has a lot of problems. The sound on that game was slow, the game will glitch up when you press and hold the Rewind button (or hold START+LEFT on the directional pad), and creating a save state will also glitch up the game once you load the save state. I heard that AtGames was working on fixing these issues for Virtua Racing. Hopefully this update resolves them.

11. rrifonas

rrifonas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    This is the same update released months ago, they just renamed it. The custom firmware IS this update with support for additional extensions.
    If you install the Atgames update you will obviously lose all the changes, you will have the stock console.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted