Hacking Currently hacked Wii wondering if there are new better hacks.

Chadius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a wii and I used the indiana pwn hack to softmod my wii, I was wondering if that method is still used or if there is something better for me to use. I want to play gamecube games on a usb and I want to play Wii games on a USB are there any new mods I can use? I curent have bootmii.

Shonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I did for GCN/Wii backups for USB:
First, make two partitions on your harddrive. I used Partition Wizard Home Edition. The default partition should be NTFS, so leave as is unless Wii backups don't work. Now shrink that partition so you can have another partitioin(I had the new one on the left, not sure if it matters) and format it as FAT32 with 32kB clusters(MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS OR GCN BACKUPS WILL NOT WORK!). Next, get your backups onto the hard drive. I use Wii Backup Manager for Wii games, and DiscEX for GCN. Make sure that the GCN games are in the root of the FAT32 partition, in a folder called games(E.G. root/games/GALE01/game.iso), and the Wii games are in the NTFS folder. Wii Backup Manager should do all the formatting for you.

Now for the wii stuff. I'd go on make ensure you have wad installation privlages(if not, let me know. For now, I'm going to assume you do). I personally use Yet Another Wad Manager Mod. Select the IOS you use for WAD installation(again, if you don't know how to do that, let me know). and install d2x(Use IOS 56 as 249 and IOS 57 as 250). You may want to also install DIOS MIOS while you are on there. I personally use Configurable USB Loader, and you may want to play with some settings first(E.G. make sure it's set to look for an NTFS partition on boot, and that it's not looking for DML, but instead DM).

With that you should be all set, let me know if that works for you.

Chadius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id like to play gamecube games on my wii which currently has the indiana pwn exploit, I have the homebrew channel and bootmii.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont listen to Shonic, use ModMii to hack your wii correctly.
Format your ENTIRE usb drive to FAT32, use FAT32 GUI formatter, and use
Wii Backup Manager to transfer your wii games to the drive.
Install Dios Mios to play GC games from the same drive, put the GC games in a folder called games, and read our forums on all this first

Reactions: 1 person

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Dont listen to Shonic, use ModMii to hack your wii correctly.
Format your ENTIRE usb drive to FAT32, use FAT32 GUI formatter, and use
Wii Backup Manager to transfer your wii games to the drive.
Install Dios Mios to play GC games from the same drive, put the GC games in a folder called games, and read our forums on all this first
To be fair, except the idea of splitting the partitions*, his advice is pretty much the same as what modmii would suggest.

@[member='Chadius']: you mention you used Indiana pwns to hack your wii twice. You can leave that out next time. Once your wii is hacked it absolutely doesn't matter how you did it. In fact, all available exploits have the same end: (usually) to install the homebrew channel. Next time, mention what version of cIOS you have (modmii probably had you install d2x v8), or which version of whatever it is you're having problems with (DIOS MIOS, for example, is currently v2.2).

@[member='marck']: the discex file is a dos command. You'll need to put it in the same folder as your gamecube image (either .iso or .gcm), open a command prompt and type the following:
discex.exe -c
(don't forget the extension on the name of the gamecube image).
If done well, discex will create a new subfolder of 6 characters (eg.: GPUE8P) with a 'game.iso' and a 'sys' subfolder therein. Put this entire 6-character subfolder in USB:\games.

*and even then, it's a good solution for people who REALLY want to use that same drive for storage of very large drives. The only mistake is assuming everyone will want to do this.

Reactions: 1 person

Chadius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Wever I am very new to Wii modding and kinda have a hold on it now, but I would appreciate if I could PM you with further issues.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank you Wever I am very new to Wii modding and kinda have a hold on it now, but I would appreciate if I could PM you with further issues.
It would be better if you would do some hard thinking about what it is you're having problems with, do some searching for it on these forums (don't forget to read the stickies), and start a detailed thread about it if you become stuck.

If that doesn't get any answers, then I don't mind you messaging me about it. But the purpose of a forum is still to provide answers for everyone's questions. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Good morning!