Cube World now in open alpha!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People should just stop cloning Minecraft's art style. Seriously.

If this was a "RPG game with randomly/procedurally-generated terrain and villages", I'd be thoroughly interested. Unfortunately it looks exactly like Minecraft with some extra shading, so it has this aura of "I've played this game a quadrilion hunred times already".

There are ways to incorporate voxel-based terrain without getting the Minecraft look - just check out "Outcast" for PC.

Your Kpop isn't most of our kind of music yet that doesn't stop you from posting a thread about that every other day.
Doesn't stop us from derailing them to all hell either, although those are usually smile72's threads. :tpi:

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But this game is nothing like minecraft, Minecraft is voxel based yes, but this game is absolutely nothing like minecraft. This game is much closer to an action RPG set in a large world, minecraft is more creation kit than anything else, sure its got survival but even then I still just built giant wooden dicks when I played it. Yes I'm immature, don't judge me.

xd, Minecraft is Lego with infinite blocks for me. With infinite possibilities. That makes it a bit nice at least.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I agree that any sort of game that wants to set itself apart from Minecraft needs more than a better battle system, it needs things to explore and do with more purpose. Imagine Diablo II, randomly-generated terrain and dungeons and items, but it had a story and clear-cut goals (kill kill kill kill).

Also why bash me so much..?
I assumed you knew what it was and were simply posting to show disinterest.

Like you all dislike kpop.
PIU hammers that stuff into my brain, man.

Reactions: Foxi4 and Langin

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People should just stop cloning Minecraft's art style. Seriously.

If this was a "RPG game with randomly/procedurally-generated terrain and villages", I'd be thoroughly interested. Unfortunately it looks exactly like Minecraft with some extra shading, so it has this aura of "I've played this game a quadrilion hunred times already".

There are ways to incorporate voxel-based terrain without getting the Minecraft look - just check out "Outcast" for PC.

Right, it has blocks and its Minecraft's art style now?

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually was interested! Until I saw what it exactly was. >_< So the problems start at step one, step two is impossible since I am dutch(curious as the heck)

And Sicklyboy, the thread SAYS kpop, I had no freaking idea what Cube World was until now. I was just curious.

Also why bash me so much..? I know minecraft is one heck of an internet hype but I can dislike it right? Like you all dislike kpop.

;-; I actually kind of like K-Pop. Something about those flat-chested Asian chicks bra...

Reactions: Langin

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uhh, yes, and don't argue otherwise or you'll look silly.

There's a myriad of things you could do with that kind of engine that don't look like Minecraft but alas, this is not the case, the game looks like Minecraft.

Actually to be fair, it looks more like 3D dot heroes which came out roughly around the same time as the very first builds of minecraft. After playing this game for the last 3 days, i can say the only similarities are the fact that they are both Voxel based, the art styles are nothing alike but because they are both very blocky, you seem to think they are the same.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Actually to be fair, it looks more like 3D dot heroes which came out roughly around the same time as the very first builds of minecraft. After playing this game for the last 3 days, i can say the only similarities are the fact that they are both Voxel based, the art styles are nothing alike but because they are both very blocky, you seem to think they are the same.

I'm Wollay, the creator of Cube World. I started this game in June 2011 as a hobby project. My inspirations were Minecraft, Zelda, Secret of Mana, Monster Hunter, Diablo, World of Warcraft and many more.
My aim was to create an infinite, colorful, procedurally generated world, full of adventures, monsters, and mysteries. The result is Cube World, a voxel-based role-playing game.
The alpha will be available for a lower price than the beta version and the final version. We're planning to release updates regularly. Updates are free.

we are done?

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am curious how long will the alpha be out because I was thinking of buying it as I just need five more dollars to buy it.

From my understanding it will be just like minecraft in the way its released, you can buy it now while its in alpha and its cheaper, and then it gets updated over time, so you will be able to purchase alpha now up until it goes into beta and the eventually full release.

we are done?
Drew INSPIRATION, your all acting like its a carbon copy, fair enough that minecraft inspired something, that doesn't mean its the SAME.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FFS this is terraria vs minecraft debates all over again. I've played all three. The game is fucking different in almost every way. Everything is combat oriented rather than building, which has already been said 300 times over. Also, stop complaining about the art "copying minecraft". Mojang didn't come up with the concept of a friggin' cube on another cube.

Reactions: Ryufushichou

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I played it already. Its pretty great with friends. For an Alpha game is pretty hedged out, much more than //cough minecraft when it was in its alpha. Play with friends though. Single player can get pretty monotonous and difficult.

The combat system is also pretty balanced. If you're good enough you can take on higher level enemies. Just gotta get those dodges.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Let's not pretend that there's no clear "aiming at the Minecraft target audience" going on here. The art style is similar preciesly because the graphics are build of blocks. Sure, there's a different procedural terrain generation engine and different shading, but at the end of the day it's a'la Minecraft blocks.

People tend to defend that kind of games and I don't really see why when the creator's intentions or inspiration is pretty clear. I'm willing to bet a $100 that if Minecraft didn't turn out to be a spectacular success or if it didn't exist at all, we wouldn't see this influx of block-based games.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's not pretend that there's no clear "aiming at the Minecraft target audience" going on here. The art style is similar preciesly because the graphics are build of blocks. Sure, there's a different procedural terrain generation engine and different shading, but at the end of the day it's a'la Minecraft blocks.

People tend to defend that kind of games and I don't really see why when the creator's intentions or inspiration is pretty clear. I'm willing to bet a $100 that if Minecraft didn't turn out to be a spectacular success or if it didn't exist at all, we wouldn't see this influx of block-based games.

Cave Story was a pretty big success, and inspired the wave of "Retro" Indie games that were seeing today. Does that mean your going to call Shovel Knight a clone of Cavestory? Or say it was "aiming at the Cavestory audience"? I highly doubt that.

If anything, the problem is that your quick to assume a voxel based A-RPG is trying to be a voxel based Sandbox game when other then graphical style, its NOTHING alike. Just because its a rather distinct graphical style thats gained populatity thanks to Minecraft, doesn't mean that every fucking game that adopts the style is attempting to lure in the Minecraft audience.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If anything, the problem is that your quick to assume a voxel based A-RPG is trying to be a voxel based Sandbox game when other then graphical style, its NOTHING alike. Just because its a rather distinct graphical style thats gained populatity thanks to Minecraft, doesn't mean that every fucking game that adopts the style is attempting to lure in the Minecraft audience.

Okay. Let's assume that this "rather distinct graphical style" choice is entirely coincidental then (which it isn't - it's been chosen because Minecraft became insanely popular and the Cube World creators are simply capitalizing on that) because that somehow makes sense :rolleyes:.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Sup