Not open for further replies.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome work Fors!!!

i have to say the wii homebrew scene is REALLY starting to feel like it did with the psp, as far as the coders really starting to piss off the makers of the console and fighting back by hacking each update they release... i love it

can't wait for the release of your cSM "prelude" for 3.4
smile.gif

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Fors,
Can you please add a function so that we can boot in recovery mode using the Wii controller because I haven't got any GC controllers.

c0mputeRb0y

Scolor

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Woah, cSM is fantastic. Your work is fantastic, Fors.

But I've a question...what happens if I've a modchip? Will it still boot my Backup Games?

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
computerboy said:
Fors,
Can you please add a function so that we can boot in recovery mode using the Wii controller because I haven't got any GC controllers.

c0mputeRb0y
i don't think he can do that due to the fact that the GC controller needs to be plugged into the last(4th player) port to access the recovery mode... i don't think there is any changing that

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
BL4Z3D247 said:
computerboy said:
Fors,

c0mputeRb0y
i don't think he can do that due to the fact that the GC controller needs to be plugged into the last(4th player) port to access the recovery mode... i don't think there is any changing that

If not mistaking, have read that the GC controller is checked BEFORE any other instruction, like launching system menu.
Wiimotes are checked AFTER so if your system menu is corrupted, it's a problem.
Buy a GC controller, it cheaper than a Wiimote
smile.gif
and it's better than a classic controller hanging on a Wiimote.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OuahOuah said:
BL4Z3D247 said:
computerboy said:
Fors,

c0mputeRb0y

If not mistaking, have read that the GC controller is checked BEFORE any other instruction, like launching system menu.
Wiimotes are checked AFTER so if your system menu is corrupted, it's a problem.
Buy a GC controller, it cheaper than a Wiimote
smile.gif
and it's better than a classic controller hanging on a Wiimote.

agreed 200%

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
And if you can't get hold of a Wavebird GC controller there are plenty of third party wireless controllers available very cheaply, some of which also have rumble
smile.gif
Got mine for £19.99 a year ago
biggrin.gif

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scolor said:
Woah, cSM is fantastic. Your work is fantastic, Fors.

But I've a question...what happens if I've a modchip? Will it still boot my Backup Games?
Yep

Dr.Tenma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Well, nice work man !
I have question : Will you add a feature that allows to change SM's music to custom ones (our mp3's ?) ?

Uh just to tell ppl who don't know this : If cSM (or any other "dangerous app") bricked your Wii, you can unbrick it.But you need those things installed before :
- TPHack
- Starfall
- Internet Connection
- Zelda
-cIOS installed and Downgrader.
First, you hold Y in GC pad, it launch Zelda...after this it launch Downgrader from Sd Card.Finally you choose to install a new SM !

deshwasi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick Q. will Zelda backup disc work to unbrick using StarFall or is original disc required? at the moment i am hiding the original from the kids but i can sleep better knowing a backup will work too.

borissaid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This really looks cool -- awesome work!

As a follow-up question to a previous post --- IF a person had bricked their Wii and had all the prerequisites installed (starfall, cios, etc.) but had a modchip that blocks the update partition of the game disk would they still be able to reload their system menu? My guess is no, but I haven't seen this discussed anywhere. I would suppose as long as you had a wiiclip so the chip is easy to remove and an original copy of Zelda it wouldn't be a problem. The same question I guess would apply to non-chipped Wii with Starfall set to ignore game updates prior to the brick.

Just curious as I would like to try this cSM out when its available but would like to have my butt covered just in case.

Thanks.

Dr.Tenma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
deshwasi said:
quick Q. will Zelda backup disc work to unbrick using StarFall or is original disc required? at the moment i am hiding the original from the kids but i can sleep better knowing a backup will work too.
Didn't tried with Zelda Backup Disc because i have original one, so i can't tell you if it works or not :/

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, if cSM bricks your wii (which it hopefully will not), you are just screwed (for the most part) since it obviously overwrites the system menu during installation, so it doesn't matter if you had starfall installed or not, you still can't launch games. The "Starfall unbrick" only works if boot1, boot2, the system menu, the IOS used by the system menu, the IOS used by Zelda, and the TPHack are all intact and properly installed, thus any brick that results from the modification of one of those components can't be fixed by the starfall unbrick. This is why BootMii will be an infinitely better brick protection system, it relies soley on the integrity of boot1 and boot2 (which are almost never modified, except by installing bootmii). cSM will be dangerous to idiots (who might do such stupid things as uninstall the IOS used by cSM) until BootMii is released, and then, you should be able to use bootmii to reinstall a majority of the system (without the use of any system files except boot1 and boot2). By the way great work Forsaekn, can't wait for the release. I view this release as more of an updated version of starfall, but it seems like your project has some real potential. Keep up the hard work, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. (Wow that got a lot longer than I expected it to.)

BTW, would it be possible to add a check for IOS251 or whatever when cSM starts, and if it isn't present, fall back to using IOS30 (or whatever 3.4 uses now)? This would prevent any idiots from bricking their systems by removing the IOS used by cSM (which would be essentially impossible to fix).

Dr.Tenma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Supercool330 said:
Um, if cSM bricks your wii (which it hopefully will not), you are just screwed (for the most part) since it obviously overwrites the system menu during installation, so it doesn't matter if you had starfall installed or not, you still can't launch games. The "Starfall unbrick" only works if boot1, boot2, the system menu, the IOS used by the system menu, the IOS used by Zelda, and the TPHack are all intact and properly installed, thus any brick that results from the modification of one of those components can't be fixed by the starfall unbrick. This is why BootMii will be an infinitely better brick protection system, it relies soley on the integrity of boot1 and boot2 (which are almost never modified, except by installing bootmii). cSM will be dangerous to idiots (who might do such stupid things as uninstall the IOS used by cSM) until BootMii is released, and then, you should be able to use bootmii to reinstall a majority of the system (without the use of any system files except boot1 and boot2). By the way great work Forsaekn, can't wait for the release. I view this release as more of an updated version of starfall, but it seems like your project has some real potential. Keep up the hard work, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. (Wow that got a lot longer than I expected it to.)

BTW, would it be possible to add a check for IOS251 or whatever when cSM starts, and if it isn't present, fall back to using IOS30 (or whatever 3.4 uses now)? This would prevent any idiots from bricking their systems by removing the IOS used by cSM (which would be essentially impossible to fix).

Oh didn't know this, thank's for details anyway !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone