Hacking Creating a North American, non-XL New 3DS

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any software difference between xl and non xl new 3ds's? In other words, is it possible to change new 3ds xl region using this guide?

Yes and yes.

Although I don't really understand why you'd want to do this. You can walk into any Gamestop and buy an American New 3DS XL with a working eShop for less than the price of a JP New 3DS XL + a donor US Old 3DS.

Ace_Axel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and yes.

Although I don't really understand why you'd want to do this. You can walk into any Gamestop and buy an American New 3DS XL with a working eShop for less than the price of a JP New 3DS XL + a donor US Old 3DS.

For me it's just to keep it exclusive here in Chilltown... I'm one of the cool kids... the fuckin' bees knees lol!

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should mention that my previous post regarding successfully changing my region was performed on an LL unit. However, I will reiterate that I only ever did this to emunand, and even then I still occasionally get a black screen upon loading emunand, though this seems to be a gateway issue, as I recall it happening occasionally before changing my region, though it occurred less frequently (it seems to happen 1/4th of the time now).

Also, the reason for doing so is obvious: because Nintendo seems to think that North America hates the colour blue (subjective opinion: when it is clearly superior to all others).

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should mention that my previous post regarding successfully changing my region was performed on an LL unit. However, I will reiterate that I only ever did this to emunand, and even then I still occasionally get a black screen upon loading emunand, though this seems to be a gateway issue, as I recall it happening occasionally before changing my region, though it occurred less frequently (it seems to happen 1/4th of the time now).

Also, the reason for doing so is obvious: because Nintendo seems to think that North America hates the colour blue (subjective opinion: when it is clearly superior to all others).

Mine was an LL as well since I wanted the SSB N3DS. It's so pretty! I've done sysnand and it works fine using the same methods.

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine was an LL as well since I wanted the SSB N3DS. It's so pretty! I've done sysnand and it works fine using the same methods.
Yeah, I'm sure it probably would be fine for me to migrate it to sysnand as well, but I don't like to live -that- dangerously, and thought I'd mention it in case any jimmies got rustled by my not making it clear.

ll0rT

Trophies
XP
Country
What happens to the NNID's after region change? Do you have to link with other 3ds's NNID?

boomie0123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone tried to do a legit system transfer with this method?

Essentially get an US 3DS and transfer to sysnand N3DS region swapped to US?

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone tried to do a legit system transfer with this method?

Essentially get an US 3DS and transfer to sysnand N3DS region swapped to US?

Only person who has had success doing this so far I believe is Yifan_lu and that was with a lot of server-proxying/cardboard hacking to get the NNID to transfer over during the System Transfer process. You'd still need to run the patching steps after the system transfer each time you want to access the eShop, but it does work.

Alternatively, you can do a partial transfer like I did that moves your saves (if you have a Gateway): http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-manual-system-transfer-for-saves-content.388033/ [then continue making future NNID purchases on your original 3DS system and manually transfer them over, not perfect but an option that works for me so far! ^_^]

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
hi. successfully convert my jap n3ds to usa using all the info scattered in this thread. thanks!.
fyi, im using simple method using gateway.

1.0 create emunand using gateway
1.1 download 9.2.0-20 USA in cia form using 3ds nus including old 3ds titles (mii maker, mii plaza, nintendo sound, ar games, nintendo zone and activity log)
1.1 boot to emunand and using fbi to install all those cia. fbi will give an error for all title that already exist, i just skip and install all valid cia

2.0 extract USA secureinfo a from other USA 3ds
2.1 extract nand xorpad using decrypt9
2.2 extract emunand using emunand tool

3.0 inject secureinfo a to emunand using 3ds secureinfo tool
3.1 inject emunand back to 3ds

4.0 boot emunand back. if done correctly it will boot into USA fw
4.1 use fbi to uninstall all JAP titles
4.2 go to setting and format system.
4.3 boot again to emunand and it will begin initial 3ds setting. after that, playing around and see if there any crash. nothing suspicious. hmm

5.0 if all seem perfect in emunand, we can extract emunand using emunand tool and copy emuNAND.bin to sd card and renaming it to NAND.bin
5.1 boot into gateway menu and if u have a strong heart u can restore NAND as a permanent fw using restore function (hold up+a in downgrade option)

6.0 lastly we can start it fresh again....

normal19

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
hi. successfully convert my jap n3ds to usa using all the info scattered in this thread. thanks!.
fyi, im using simple method using gateway.

1.0 create emunand using gateway
1.1 download 9.2.0-20 USA in cia form using 3ds nus including old 3ds titles (mii maker, mii plaza, nintendo sound, ar games, nintendo zone and activity log)
1.1 boot to emunand and using fbi to install all those cia. fbi will give an error for all title that already exist, i just skip and install all valid cia

2.0 extract USA secureinfo a from other USA 3ds
2.1 extract nand xorpad using decrypt9
2.2 extract emunand using emunand tool

3.0 inject secureinfo a to emunand using 3ds secureinfo tool
3.1 inject emunand back to 3ds

4.0 boot emunand back. if done correctly it will boot into USA fw
4.1 use fbi to uninstall all JAP titles
4.2 go to setting and format system.
4.3 boot again to emunand and it will begin initial 3ds setting. after that, playing around and see if there any crash. nothing suspicious. hmm

5.0 if all seem perfect in emunand, we can extract emunand using emunand tool and copy emuNAND.bin to sd card and renaming it to NAND.bin
5.1 boot into gateway menu and if u have a strong heart u can restore NAND as a permanent fw using restore function (hold up+a in downgrade option)

6.0 lastly we can start it fresh again....
ARe you able to get to eShop with this?

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FBI starts off looking at your SD card's contents for importing of titles. To get it to look at your nand, press the L button, then R twice to get it into delete title mode.

sailor_moon

Let Me Sing You A Tune ♫
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Grape success! Just thought I'd check in on here now that I've finally taken the time to do this, and I successfully got my emunand region changed from a 9.1.0-20J to 9.5.0-23U and everything thus far appears to be working (with the exception of eshop, since as I've mentioned previously, the eshop doesn't interest me, so I've not even tried it out) even the keyboard and amiibo settings (though I don't have any actual amiibo to try it with).
The success I had came with following these steps all way through (though only sticking to initial removal of the 3 system apps mentioned in the early steps, and including updating to 9.4.0 with Xenoblade and then 9.5.0 using files from 3dnus), then using these amended steps with the CSV for updatecdn found in this post with a slight change in that I did the steps 1, 2, 4, then 3 and skipped doing the 9.5 update again (since I already have the relevant files) and formatted emunand to clean up, and bam, everything was working perfectly fine.

I did keep up with most of the thread, though I admit that I missed a few pages the past week or two due to life being a bit hectic, so I'm not sure if people have already figured out the success I've had or not, but if not, this is how I got through all the bugs reported up to where I was keeping up, and if so, then I add my testimony to the fact that it can all be made to work.

ahem; Thanks! I followed your steps to the T and BAMF! everything works! Thank you so much! ;_; 5 days of He-- and it's over it's finally over~!

Reactions: Artemis-kun

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ahem; Thanks! I followed your steps to the T and BAMF! everything works! Thank you so much! ;_; 5 days of He-- and it's over it's finally over~!
Glad I was able to help! I'm sure my steps could probably be stream-lined a bit, in that the update to 9.4.0 could probably be omitted since it didn't really seem to help matters, and possibly even the update to 9.5.0 via 3dnus. What seemed to really be the key on this was doing updatecdn and full title installs with BBM regardless of whatever was previously installed. My guess is that despite the other update methods theoretically updating everything, it probably doesn't include -all- of the titles for the target region, since many of them haven't been updated in several updates, and, if you were still in the same region, would already be pre-existing on the console, so it makes no sense to Nintendo to include those titles again.
But, hey, those exact, somewhat circuitous, steps are what worked for me and got around any and all problems, so I'm glad to hear they've also worked for someone else!

Reactions: sailor_moon

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to transfer boomie0123's NNID to a region swapped japanese n3ds with my procedure and it works. I've posted what I did here: https://gist.github.com/yifanlu/5d16e134332622d26944 but be warned, it's pretty complicated and I don't know how to make it easier (the procedure took us about 2 hours to do).

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot%202015-06-09%2015.16.13_zpsppqup1mf.png

Ethics?! On my video game hacking forum?!

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Screenshot%202015-06-09%2015.16.13_zpsppqup1mf.png

Ethics?! On my video game hacking forum?!
It's more likely than you think.

On a serious note, to update my previous posting, I happened to have an opportunity to test my region changed emunand with an Amiibo not too long ago, and everything worked perfectly with it. So, that confirms all functionality with my n3ds, besides eshop access, because I couldn't care less about that. Plus, I'm using a <gasp> public secureinfo, so I don't even want to chance ruining things for everyone anyhow.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I went from 9.2.0-20J to 9.5.0-23E on emuNAND and everything seems to work fine except for mset.
I'm not sure why, but this entrypoint is now broken. Upon entering the DS profile it gives an error and kicks me back to the home menu.
I'd write a quick and convenient guide for this but I would rather have this issue sorted out before people run into the same problem.
Could this be country related or something? It's quite odd because after installing NVRAM I shut the N3DS off entirely and it still doesn't work. Even without booting emuNAND.
Just using OoT for now.

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I went from 9.2.0-20J to 9.5.0-23E on emuNAND and everything seems to work fine except for mset.
I'm not sure why, but this entrypoint is now broken. Upon entering the DS profile it gives an error and kicks me back to the home menu.
I'd write a quick and convenient guide for this but I would rather have this issue sorted out before people run into the same problem.
Could this be country related or something? It's quite odd because after installing NVRAM I shut the N3DS off entirely and it still doesn't work. Even without booting emuNAND.
Just using OoT for now.
When I first decided to try using the mset exploit, I installed it from the gateway menu, and I found that it didn't properly take when done that way and would throw an error much like what you describe. What worked for me was installing the flash card white list cia that is included in the gateway installer, and using the blue gateway card to run the mset installer .nds file. Now mset works like a charm, and it's a convenient way of restoring the exploit in case you decide to play DS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Can I hold it for a sec?