59.6%
  2. No

86 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. 213 voter(s)
  1. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    @UltraSUPRA You should quote my whole post next time.
    In short, I never made the argument that deaths were lower in 2020 compared to other years.

2. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.

United States
    I know. The thing is, I said that total deaths in 2020 were lower. Because they were.

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You don't have to look far to see my previous post on the subject.
    1. You don't know that 2020 deaths were lower.
    2. It wouldn't matter if they were.
    What's your point?

4. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.

United States
    1. It's 2021. We know.
    2. So deaths only matter if they're COVID?

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Source?

Whether or not the total deaths in a year have decreased is irrelevant to whether or not a major cause of death is important and/or real. For example, if we nuked a city of 367,000 innocent Americans, saying "Well, total deaths this year are down" is irrelevant to the conversation about the city that was nuked, whether or not the city was nuked, whether or not it was bad the city was nuked, what could have been done to prevent that city from being nuked, and what we can do to prevent other cities from being nuked.

6. Cryoraptor

Cryoraptor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    "Mandatory masks to stop the spread has the same energy as outlawing junk food to cure obesity. Doctors would also advocate for both" Sums up the person we are talking to here.

7. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    mRNA vaccine against MS in development:
    https://www.merkur.de/leben/gesundh...-tierversuch-studie-menschen-zr-90165056.html (german)

mRNA vaccines against Zika, HIV and Nipah in development.
    https://www.modernatx.com/pipeline

:)

via blog.fefe.de

Last edited by notimp, Jan 14, 2021
  8. Cryoraptor

United Kingdom
    I'm all for new vaccines but a HIV vaccine seems kinda redundant, at least in the West considering its transmission is rapidly declining due to improving treatments and prevention. But I guess it would still be useful in the developing world where it's still spreading.

Also, how do you vaccinate against MS? That's caused by your own immune system attacking myelin sheaths on neurons is it not?

9. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    The body is triggered (programmed ;) ) into producing (parts of the) antigenes, that trigger the illness, which in return hightens the bodies immune tolerance over time.

Study: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6525/145.full

See also: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html
    https://qz.com/1944566/what-is-an-mrna-vaccine-and-how-does-it-work/
    (In case this is not clear to lurkers: This is just about mRNA vaccines, for COVID 19 there also exist conventional ones or ones where the virus genome is 'spliced' to develep an immune response against a certain protein as well.)

Last edited by notimp, Jan 14, 2021
  10. Cryoraptor

United Kingdom
    Wouldn't it make more sense to trigger an immune response to the auto-antibodies responsible for MS, so that if the body starts producing them, the immune system directly mounts a counter-response to the auto-antibodies and kills the immune cells producing them? I'm not a biologist and I can't seem to access the study in question so I might just not be understanding how it works but I fail to see how directly triggering the illness protects from it. Does triggering the illness early mean you can essentially mount an immune response against your own malfunctioning immune cells?

11. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    I'm not a microbiologist. ;)

alexander1970 likes this.
  12. NeSchn

NeSchn Swag.

United States
    Hey y'all, back again for an update on my vaccine.

So, last Friday my Mom tested positive for COVID-19. I took her to take the test. We were unmasked in the car as we were certain it was just a cold as she hasn't gone anywhere and we've only been seeing immediate family. So naturally, my father and I had to get tested. Again, in the car with him unmasked because at this point if my Mom has it we both definitely have it as we weren't isolated from each other, our house isn't big enough for that to happen (I live with them still).

He got his results back yesterday, he's positive. I got mine back today, I'm negative and have felt no symptoms this past week at all, so I don't think its a false negative. Maybe its proof that even after the first shot of the vaccine there's some immunity? I haven't been keeping my distance from them or anything and have been around both of them unmasked, so, its a possibility. I get my second dose on the 27th.

By the way, both of my parents are doing fine luckily. Mild symptoms, the normal cold like symptoms accompanied with the loss of taste and smell, etc. We definitely got lucky, an old coworker of mines Dad just passed a way this week from it along with a few other older people in my neighborhood.

Last edited by NeSchn, Jan 15, 2021
  13. alexander1970

alexander1970 Try to Live in here and now.

Austria
    My Parents-in-Law now "restricted" Contact to my Wife and me...No further Contact until EVERYONE is vaccinationed...
    THAT is the good Way ? Really ? Oh dear....

*searches for his Aryan certificate....*

14. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My family are both Senior Doctors and Professors, so my professional circle overlaps at least on both the Fields of Medicine and Higher Education.

From the former Field, I have personally known at least 15 people who passed away from COVID-19 in 2020; they were diagnosed with COVID-19, taken to hospital for treatment and passed away notwithstanding.

From the latter Field, I have personally known at least 75 people who passed away from COVID-19 in 2020; exactly the same procedure and outcome, so there is no misunderstanding of causality in the aforementioned cases.

In total, that is over 90 people, in what seems to be the highest-risk Occupational Fields in my circle - Medicine and Higher Education.

This Comment is for those that don't believe COVID-19 can kill.
    I just hope it doesn't take someone close to you to realise that it can.

Last edited by tomasowa, Jan 15, 2021
    IncredulousP and NeSchn like this.
  15. Cryoraptor

United Kingdom
    "BuT iTs ThE 5g AnD tHe VaCcInEs ThE gOvErNmEnT aRe GiViNg Us!!!!!"

NeSchn likes this.
  16. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    We very well can't control what others decide, but at least we've done all we can to make those decisions informed.

As such, in all of my circle's deaths, it was related to the amount of people they came in contact with on a daily basis as it pertains to a greater risk; Doctors and University Professors do their best to help the community, which is commendable but can be fatal.

Some patients are just idiots to be sick with COVID-19 in the first place in their disregard for public safety, as are some University students.

If my Comment helps even one future Hospital and University | School Staff avoid unnecessary death, then it's worth the effort to type here.

Last edited by tomasowa, Jan 15, 2021
    NeSchn likes this.
  17. NeSchn

NeSchn Swag.

United States
    I FEEL THE 5G INSIDE OF ME.

18. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    No, not taking it. I swim in shit. I dive in sewage water. All the shit helps make my immune system stronger. So I don't need a vaccine.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

You will get stronger if you survive a Covid infection. That is if you survive.
    You also have a high chance of infecting others with the virus.

20. alexander1970

alexander1970 Try to Live in here and now.

Austria
    Also when you Vaccinated.
    Your Symptoms are getting mitigated.:)

A Fact,that many,many,many People "forget" to mention.....:P

Deleted User likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - vaccine, Covid,