Could you get along with a clone/temporal counterpart of yourself?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mind clones, computerised versions of your mind and hive minds of a lot of you are an interesting prospect and subject of discussion. "We Are Legion (We Are Bob)" by Dennis E. Taylor is an amusing book on the matter if you wanted such a thing.

As soon as you are not seeing through the same eyes as it were you start diverging, having different experiences and so forth. Or if you prefer identical twins by definition share DNA (we shall leave aside epigenetics for now) and don't necessarily think the same way.

Also part of games is humans are terrible at randomness. If there was a clock in the room you can say "if I look at it and the second hand is a multiple of ? I will do *". Do that as part of a game and things start happening.

Depending upon the level of play you might also trip "yourself" up. I am sure we have not all played every game flawlessly at all points and so there is that. Similarly while I know all the moves of chess and can probably be persuaded to memorise a game as it is happening I am more or less left there -- I never bothered to memorise too many openings, any kind of mid game play strategies or anything else someone that takes chess seriously enough for it to be their thing is something I said "hard pass" on in favour of doing other things*. As such knowing my mind merely means I know my opponent is in the same position as me. I guess if you had some preferences, or better yet some irrational ones, for certain moves, play styles, positions and pieces it could provide something more.

*at this point in time chess is the sort of thing you have to dedicate basically your life to so as to be good (on top of the general affinity for maths and calculation). If others want to do it then I might even find it admirable, definitely not me though.

Thinking about it for chess then I would probably prefer to play an AI than a recent duplicate of myself (or given my opinion above a vaguely similar version of me). I can see it for some games (you better believe bomberman against myself is going to happen).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I actually have a rule that no other version of myself is allowed to exist and thus I must kill any clones of me before she kills me. This is mostly because I know myself too well to know that a clone of me would literally just do everything to take over the original's life and slowly snuff me out of the picture.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually have a rule that no other version of myself is allowed to exist and thus I must kill any clones of me before she kills me. This is mostly because I know myself too well to know that a clone of me would literally just do everything to take over the original's life and slowly snuff me out of the picture.
But what if you are the clone and you just haven't realized it yet?

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Of course. A clone of myself would be the only other person on the planet that "gets it," and understands me;). I would be best buddies with my clone.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

I wrote a lengthy (or so it seemed at the time) retort to this article the last time it was posted but I can't find it any more (might have been deleted, or maybe the search function here is just crap). The tl;dr was: "this guy is just desperately trying to justify wanting to bone/be boned by another guy (as if you needed an excuse) but all his "arguments" and excuses are flimsy as fuck."

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first my clone would be me in every way, so I would probably not be very interested in talking with him.

After a few weeks I would be really interested to know how he'd been getting along. I would want all the deets on his escapades, and girls he was seeing etc.

Reactions: Chary

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hm I thought @Lilith Valentine would fuck her clone...
I would probably fuck my clone if we're both drunk and, uh, talking about things and doing stuff prior.

Actually, that would be so wrong, like, incestuously wrong.

Ricken

Waiting for something to happen?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love it, having someone that utterly understands my thoughts would be amazing. Also it would make practicing fighting games waaaaaay more fun since I could learn my weaknesses

Reactions: Deleted User

sven7777

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seriously fantasized about this concept. It would be excellent. I could be living with myself (or possibly two of them) and we'd be earning 2x/3x the income and have a super-cushy life. Or we could just keep a single job and alternate weeks. One week of gaming, one week of work. I think it all boils down to whether you like yourself or not. If you do, you'll get along fine!

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I could, but also couldn't. I think I'd be too competitive with my own self. But it'd also be great to see how my own self would react without "me" in control, but rather another me dealing with things. I'd be able to see from an outside position where I fail and succeed at things, but perhaps the clone would also be predictable, because I'd assumedly know what they'd choose to do always.

Plus, I mean, talk about an identity crisis. How weird would THAT be at family reunions?!

Catsinabucket

Permanently Uncertain
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably. I'm fairly laid-back, so we'd probably keep to ourselves most of the time, only talking occasionally.

I think the worst part would be seeing all of the embarrassing shit I do from an outsider's perspective.

Probably. I'm fairly laid-back, so we'd probably keep to ourselves most of the time, only talking occasionally.

I think the worst part would be seeing all of the embarrassing shit I do from an outsider's perspective.

One day you'll find each other

Last edited by Catsinabucket,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: lost 30 po unds so for +1