ROM Hack Converting Dragon Quest 4 to Support English

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It definitely won't deter them, especially since the translation is in such rough shape. Again though, the most exciting thing for me here is the fact that once the game is released in it's entirety, I'll be able to change the item/spell/enemy names back to what I'm used to from the series and actually enjoy it (I was never able to play DQ8 because of the "bad" localization.)

War Destroyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. This is by far my favorite dragon quest, and after being denied an english PSX version, and hackers making many failed attempts to translate it, I finally see a succesful english version in the future, even if Enix doesn't release it here! I have no idea what specifics you guys are ranting about, but you got me all excited!

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to see a fan translation. That part where the fan translation is compared to the official translation is always fun. Even if most is already translated, it's poorly translated. The final version would definitely be different.

Plus, I heard the 'New Town' is unusable in its current state.

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The translations, in 5 different languages I must note, were left on the cart quite possibly because, while being unfinished, it would have cost more to them to actually pull out the text from the cart, than simply turning a small bit of code 'off' that allows you to select it. Turning that option off does, for intended purposes, avoids having anyone playing it in english/french/whatever by buying the Japanese cart.

Of course, that's ruling out emulator/flash carts that can effectively affect those, or the use of AR to forcibly switch that selector to the desired language.

The only reason they would have pulled out the text would have been for size issues. As it stands, the extra languages probably serve as 'filler', which would have been filled with dummy data instead normally, so it possibly doesn't affect the size of the cart at all to leave it in there.

The fact that actual translations are on the cart just seems to further prove that it will be released out of japan. Why else would they have started on the translation themselves. The PSX remake was scrapped as the company doing the work (that wasn't Enix) folded, so Enix didn't pick it back up.

Square took in hand its own localization since FF8 I believe, with a few notable exceptions like using TOSE for FFAdvance (4-5-6) releases, and even then maybe they gave the script to to TOSE and only asked them to take care of the port's code.

Since SquareEnix merger, its only natural that theyw ould keep going in the same direction and taking care of their own translations. And the fact its not just a single language but 5 more on the cart definitly hints at EU release.

laramy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was kinda wondering...the blank space options in the menu....one is watching the status of the player...like playime etc...but the other one..is that the save option? Because I used that, and i -think- the game told me to shut down...but then i started back up, and i was at the beginnging of chapter 1 again.. ??

edit: nvm
It locks up for me there too. As soon as I leave the town and arrive on the map, I try to use that blank option aka save(?) and it locks up. Am i doing something wrong?? Tnx in advance!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries