Hardware Confirmed: The 3DS is region-locked

D

Deleted_171835

stanleyopar2000 said:
the $250 console price and the $70 games is a huge turn off for me
You're speaking out of your arse.
3DS games do not cost $70. The price of the 3DS and games for NA/EU is not confirmed yet.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
3DS games do not cost $70. The price of the 3DS and games for NA/EU is not confirmed yet.

hmm...the yen prices converted to USD area about $70-$50

D

Deleted_171835

stanleyopar2000 said:
SoulSnatcher said:
stanleyopar2000 said:

hmm...the yen prices converted to USD area about $70-$50
I hate it when I have to constantly explain this.
You can't use a direct conversion to get the 3DS/games price. It doesn't work that way. Nintendo has yet to announce a price for NA/EU.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because of their annoucement, it will motivate hackers to hack the 3DS. I just hope Nintendo won't vent that the 3DS is unhackable. 'Cause if they do, the hackers might do EVERYTHING they can to hack and might discover more then they thought (like the private keys.)

I must say, it is quite disappointing that it is region locked. I've grown to love japanese games.
frown.gif

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sir-Fritz said:
What version ds games do Australians get? I've got a feeling we often get the american ones (our pokemon games still have the esrb warning etc).
I think australians get american DS games and european Wii games.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
gamefan5 said:
Because of their annoucement, it will motivate hackers to hack the 3DS. I just hope Nintendo won't vent that the 3DS is unhackable. 'Cause if they do, the hackers might do EVERYTHING they can to hack and might discover more then they thought (like the private keys.)

I must say, it is quite disappointing that it is region locked. I've grown to love japanese games.
frown.gif

Oh, but they did.

3DS CFW anyone?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The number of people bitching vs the number of people with a LEGITIMATE REASON to bitch is amazing. Get serious folks. The majority of you do not import games and will not be affected by this at all.

Region locks suck but they are they are not unexpected in this day and age. If you do serious importing, another handheld will likely not be the end of the world for you.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
Ninten said:
Thank God I'm not planning to buy a 3DS. But this is just ridiculous.

I second that...I would rather get a droid X or a Bionic
biggrin.gif
..my enV Touch glitchy piece of shit has seen it's better months. (not even years)

umm... weak,wrong,and bad excuse.

But it does suck
closedeyes.gif

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
Ninten said:

biggrin.gif
..my enV Touch glitchy piece of shit has seen it's better months. (not even years)

But it does suck
closedeyes.gif

I decide what a good or a bad excuse for buying one is. After all..it's my money
biggrin.gif

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Graaaah.
mad.gif

I hate when handhelds are region-locked. Now, I won't be able to play certain Japanese-only games (Ace Attorney vs. Professor Layton). I hope the 3DS is hacked to play games from every region.
erm, i'm straying from the topic a little bit, but did you know that there's a petition up to bring that game over to america? if you want it, sign it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
KingVamp said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
Ninten said:

biggrin.gif

But it does suck
closedeyes.gif

I decide what a good or a bad excuse for buying one is. After all..it's my money
biggrin.gif
Let me make what I mean clear. Saying I'm not buying something because it region-lock is a weak/bad excuse.

Saying I wouldn't buy it because it games $X and game system is $X dollars before it out is just wrong.

Umm... yea
unsure.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
HaniKazmi said:
Midna said:
Ninten said:
Replace '3DS' with PSP, PSP2, PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii and see if you still agree with it.

Region locking is an industry standard. You really expected a 2011 handheld to be region free?
PSP, PS3 and 360 are NOT region locked though, and PSP2 probably wont be too. the 3DS is actuallt the first handheld to be completely region locked (with DSI region locking some games), so this is a huge step backwards.
I was pretty damn sure the PS3, PSP and 360 were region locked. Nevermind, carry on then.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why...why is this surprising ANYONE??? The DSi is regionlocked for DSiWare and DSi-Enhanced games...They were undoubtable going to do this... Just wait for a flashcard. They'll crack regionlock soon enough.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
shinkukage09 said:
Why...why is this surprising ANYONE??? The DSi is regionlocked for DSiWare and DSi-Enhanced games...They were undoubtable going to do this... Just wait for a flashcard. They'll crack regionlock soon enough.
Actually we may not be seeing flashcarts for the 3ds.
We may get exploits insteed.
Homebrew channel anyone
grog.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
HaniKazmi said:
Midna said:
Ninten said:
Replace '3DS' with PSP, PSP2, PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii and see if you still agree with it.

Region locking is an industry standard. You really expected a 2011 handheld to be region free?
PSP, PS3 and 360 are NOT region locked though, and PSP2 probably wont be too. the 3DS is actuallt the first handheld to be completely region locked (with DSI region locking some games), so this is a huge step backwards.
I was pretty damn sure the PS3, PSP and 360 were region locked. Nevermind, carry on then.

The PS3 is region locked. Pretty sure the PS2 is region locked. Not sure if the PSP is region locked. The 360 is probably region locked, though I'm not part of that scene in any way, shape, or form.

On topic: This doesn't surprise me at all. Who didn't think it would be region locked? With all of the features, the releases, the hardware, everything, it was pretty obvious some region lock was gonna happen. Somebody may or may not crack it as time goes on, it may not matter. I don't personally play (J) games unless a translation is available, or they are stupidly simple (Taiko games anyone?). I don't import, so no biggie.

Just work with what's available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/zt9KMvI-kQs?si=o7yb3GlzURRtZh0o