Hacking Configurable USB Loader

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All i have to do to install a forwarder is install it like a wad, right?
And is there a way i can install something that goes to the usb cfg without the sd card?

wellhole

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
And is there a way i can install something that goes to the usb cfg without the sd card?
Yes, all wads are installed as like a wad... Is there anything else you can do with a wad file?

The forwarder will run your cfg on your usb. You don't need an sd card. Read the forwarder descriptions will you?

T

TheGlow

wellhole said:
BortzANATOR said:
Yes, all wads are installed as like a wad... Is there anything else you can do with a wad file?

The forwarder will run your cfg on your usb. You don't need an sd card. Read the forwarder descriptions will you?

I wanted to do similar, but how would you go about having a usb drive with ntfs, then fat32 partition load cfg from the fat but then access games on the ntfs?
is it looking for the first partition? i did ntfs then fat32. im thinkin if i did maybe fat32 first, then had an ntfs partition as 2nd, then the forwarder would read the fat first, find the app, run it, then the cfg settings would point it to the ntfs?

Dr. Clipper said:
QUOTE(TheGlow @ Dec 31 2009, 02:28 PM)
quick question. when I go to boot a game is says loading ios 222 for fat support.
then right under says loading 222...ntfs
am I losing time here or something? whats optimal
It's just oggzee not updating some of the info messages when OMG#50 was added. It probably should say "non-wbfs" instead of "fat".
So if its nonwbfs, would I be better off then using the fat.dol even though its ntfs? any real differences?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
TheGlow said:
I wanted to do similar, but how would you go about having a usb drive with ntfs, then fat32 partition load cfg from the fat but then access games on the ntfs?
is it looking for the first partition? i did ntfs then fat32. im thinkin if i did maybe fat32 first, then had an ntfs partition as 2nd, then the forwarder would read the fat first, find the app, run it, then the cfg settings would point it to the ntfs?
The HBC and forwarders will look for Cfg on either the first FAT partition of the SD card or on the drive. Cfg will look for the settings and covers in whatever partition of whatever device you load the .dol from. The device to load the games from is configurable via the "device = usb, sdhc" option and the partition is set by the "partition = WBFS1...4, FAT1...9, NTFS1...9" option. You can also locate the covers in a different device to where the settings are if you like by using the covers_url options (e.g., covers_url = ntfs:/coversgohere). Note that you won't be able to install covers with the loader if you did switch it to an NTFS partition, though.

In summary, here's the locations where things can go:

boot.dol: 1st FAT partition on SD OR 1st FAT partition on USB
settings (config.txt etc.): same device/partition as boot.dol
covers: 1st FAT partition on SD card OR 1st FAT partition on USB OR 1st NTFS partition on USB (read-only)
games: Any WBFS partition, FAT partition or NTFS partition on either SD or USB

Dr. Clipper said:
TheGlow said:
quick question. when I go to boot a game is says loading ios 222 for fat support.
then right under says loading 222...ntfs
am I losing time here or something? whats optimal
It's just oggzee not updating some of the info messages when OMG#50 was added. It probably should say "non-wbfs" instead of "fat".
So if its nonwbfs, would I be better off then using the fat.dol even though its ntfs? any real differences?
Yes. The fat .dol has 4 differences:
  • The first IOS loaded is IOS222
  • The default for the "ios" option is 222-mload instead of 249
  • The default for the "partition" option is FAT1 instead of WBFS1
  • The default for the "hide_hddinfo" option is 1 instead of 0
The best way to set up for games on NTFS is to use the FAT .dol (so that IOS222 is loaded first) and to add "partition = NTFS1" to config.txt. You might also want to add "hide_hddinfo = 0" to config.txt as there shouldn't be a large delay in calculating free space like there is with FAT.

bert02

Trophies
XP
Country
delt31 said:
do any of you guys ever have the wii not boot (black screen) after choosing usb cfg and it forces you to do a hard reboot (unplug the wii)? Seems to happen randomly and is fixed by simply hard boot

rev 14
3.2U

u can just hold the power button for a few seconds and it resets it

Vegeta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I try to download covers, CFG USB Loader complains that it can't create the directories. Anyone know why?

I'm using a 320GB Iomega 2.5" external HDD which works perfectly for games and stuff and I have it formatted to FAT32.

Using latest CFG Loader.

BTW, where do you put the themes?

zx3junglist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vegeta said:
When I try to download covers, CFG USB Loader complains that it can't create the directories. Anyone know why?

I'm using a 320GB Iomega 2.5" external HDD which works perfectly for games and stuff and I have it formatted to FAT32.

Using latest CFG Loader.

I'd make sure that you're using the first partition on that drive, and that it's set to use usb rather than sd. Themes will go in usb:/usb-loader/themes/theme-name/

T

TheGlow

Ok, thanx Clipper. I think it wouldnt load off mine because the ntfs was the first/active partition and the fat was the 2nd.
my friend just gave me an old 160 ide 7200 drive so Im redoing everything onto this one.
Ill check it out. that fat is first and active partition, ntfs is the 2nd. fat has the apps/ folder and the main usb loader folder w/ the covers. and the config itself points to ntfs1. i should expect this is the way.

Vegeta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zx3junglist said:
I'd make sure that you're using the first partition on that drive, and that it's set to use usb rather than sd. Themes will go in usb:/usb-loader/themes/theme-name/

Well, the drive was pre-formatted with NTFS when bought new and I formatted it to FAT32 under Vista x64. The drive only has one single partition.

Which program can I check just to be sure it has one partition?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Vegeta said:

Using latest CFG Loader.

Did you install from one of the release versions or just install the v50c .dol? The easiest way to manage things is to have the usb-loader directory in the root of your SD card or hard drive. If you don't have it, copy the one from inside the "InSDRoot" directory here into the root directory of your device. It also gives you the correct directory structure for the themes and so on.

Themes are created by having /themes//theme.txt files. is your base_dir and will usually be device:/usb-loader (if there is a config.txt there) but may also be the directory where the boot.dol is if you don't have the usb-loader directory. The easy way to find the base directory is just to go to the global options page within Cfg (push 1 twice) and it will be listed for you.

ThaDraGun

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wellhole said:
BortzANATOR said:

Doesn't seem to want to work for me for some reason. I've tried "CFG USB Loader - FDCL" & "USBLoaderCFG_NForwarder"

This setup doesnt work:
USB:\usb-loader
USB:\apps\USBLoader

EDIT: This setup does work if I run cfg from the homebrew channel. Weird. So do I need a different forwarder then?

This setup does work:
SD:\apps\USBLoader

I'm on 4.2u and I'm using cfg v50c, WD mybook 1tb with setup files on the Fat32 partion and wii games on WBFS. FAT32 is set as first partition. USB GX and Wiiflow both work using USB only.
Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

One more thing,

Sorry, This is the first time using this and Im still trying to figure it all out. While I was downloading the covers I thought I saw that it said it downloaded discs.. however I can't seem to find where it shows the disc. Did I read it wrong or is there a special combo/config setting you need to enter to see the disc?

T

TheGlow

Anyone know how to adjust Narolez' forwarder so it checks usb first, then sd?
I wanna try and get it all off just hdd, but its booting from sd in the meantime if its present.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
ThaDraGun said:
wellhole said:
BortzANATOR said:

Doesn't seem to want to work for me for some reason. I've tried "CFG USB Loader - FDCL" & "USBLoaderCFG_NForwarder"

This setup doesnt work:
USB:\apps\USBLoader

EDIT: This setup does work if I run cfg from the homebrew channel. Weird. So do I need a different forwarder then?

This setup does work:
SD:\apps\USBLoader

I'm on 4.2u and I'm using cfg v50c, WD mybook 1tb with setup files on the Fat32 partion and wii games on WBFS. FAT32 is set as first partition. USB GX and Wiiflow both work using USB only.
Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

One more thing,

Sorry, This is the first time using this and Im still trying to figure it all out. While I was downloading the covers I thought I saw that it said it downloaded discs.. however I can't seem to find where it shows the disc. Did I read it wrong or is there a special combo/config setting you need to enter to see the disc?
I believe the NForwarder is the one that only forwarded to the SD. You want the Universal Forwarder, or pepxl's one.

To see disc art, add "cover_style=disc" and they will then show up in the gridflow GUI modes and the menu screen

QUOTE(TheGlow @ Jan 1 2010, 03:31 PM)
Anyone know how to adjust Narolez' forwarder so it checks usb first, then sd?
I wanna try and get it all off just hdd, but its booting from sd in the meantime if its present.
It shouldn't be hard for you to edit the source to do that. Otherwise, just rename the directory on the SD card to anything you like that isn't usbloader or usbloader-cfg

Vegeta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
Did you install from one of the release versions or just install the v50c .dol? The easiest way to manage things is to have the usb-loader directory in the root of your SD card or hard drive. If you don't have it, copy the one from inside the "InSDRoot" directory here into the root directory of your device. It also gives you the correct directory structure for the themes and so on.

Themes are created by having /themes//theme.txt files. is your base_dir and will usually be device:/usb-loader (if there is a config.txt there) but may also be the directory where the boot.dol is if you don't have the usb-loader directory. The easy way to find the base directory is just to go to the global options page within Cfg (push 1 twice) and it will be listed for you.

I just installed the DOL but did as you stated and all is fine now.

Thanks
wink2.gif

Jabe

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!

I have some suggestions for this loader about cover download.

It would be great if there was some cover checker.
I mean rather than having to press 1 twice to download all covers, Configurable USB Loader would automatically check if covers are missing on startup and download them automatically.

Or display some message like "4 covers are missing. Do you want to download missing covers?"
But without any message would be better.

A bit like Homebrew Browser does for icon checking.
An other option about cover would be to display "Would like to download this game covers" once a DVD game is dumped (by pressing +).
This option could be turned on/off in advanced configuration.

What do you think?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheats Question: i get a "too many code lines" error with Super Smash Bros Brawl when i try to download them.
What does that mean and how do i get cheats another way?

bert02

Trophies
XP
Country
eteles said:
Hello!

Please help me, I could not follow all the posts...

I use .wbfs files in my NTFS partition only because I thought they were smaller than the .iso files. Reading some posts, I saw that there´s a way to convert .wbfs files to .iso files and keep them at the same size as the .wbfs files.

Did I read right?

If so, how do I have to proceed in order to convert my .wbfs files to .iso files using about the same size?

Thanks for your attention!

use wbfs_file.exe

the

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Why wbfs_file utility has the parameter -g as non default? Who need to convert an ISO into .wbfs file preserving all partitions including updates?

I suggest processing it by default!

QUOTE said:
wbfs_file.exe 2.6 by oggzee, based on wbfs by kwiirk

Usage: wbfs_file.exe [OPTIONS] [COMMAND [ARGS]]:

OPTIONS: (it's recommended to just use the defaults)
-s SIZE : Set split size [4294934528] (8388544 sectors)
Must be a multiple of 512 (sector size)
-2 : Use split size: 2GB-32kb (2147450880)
-4 : Use split size: 4GB-32kb (4294934528)
-0 : Don't split (split size: 10000000000)
-u SIZE : Set scrub block size [32768] (1 wii sector)
Must be a multiple of 32768 (wii sector size)
Special values: 1=1 wii sector, 2=2mb (.wbfs block)
-z : make zero filled blocks as sparse when scrubbing
-d : Create a GAMEID_TITLE directory and place
the created .wbfs file there [default]
-b : Use base directory for created .wbfs files
-a : Copy ALL partitions from ISO [default]
-g : Copy only game partition from ISO
-1 : Copy 1:1 from ISO
-f : Force wbfs mode even if the wbfs file or partition
integrity check is invalid (non matching number of
sectors or other parameters)
-t : trim extracted iso size
-x 0|1 : disable|enable .txt file creation
-h : Help

pccfatman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Game Manager Version 1.3 has been released
It can be found here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=199151

Changes to version 1.3
Added the ability to resize the form to be larger or maximized. This may distort the background image and it will be out of proportion. I am looking into fixing this.
Added last path and default path settings so you don't have to navigate the the same path on each open. The program will default to the last path opened, if it does not exist it will attempt to use the default path setting, if that fails i will use the default internal path.
Added remember last window size and position.
Added full window size list for any theme when "None" is selected for cover display
Fixed download selected missing full covers, it didn't do anything in previous versions
Changed titles.txt read function to better support multi-language operation systems and better support for invalid characters
Fixed Total games and location did not display properly when using "Open WBFS Partition"
Added Initial sort by game title on list population
Added preliminary support for wiitdb.xml (Double click an item in the list to get the synopsis)
Added the ability to download wiitdb.zip and unzip the xml file
Renamed titles menu to Titles & XML
Although I have added preliminary support for custom themes, it has been disabled until I can get the code working correctly
Added byte counter to downloads and proper handling of non-resumable downloads
Fixed: Sorting the queue has been disabled as it breaks the functionality
Added some preliminary handling of the queue, you can cancel any process marked as "Queued". Still no handling of an active process until I can do some further testing. This is still preliminary so it does not handle removeing a single item if the index changes. ie: you don't click before the current item finishes processing.
Added support for custom titles. This was originally coded in Simple WBFS File Manager and has beed added to this program.
Fixed some dialog boxes would be cut in half on certain computers (probably due to foreign language OS)

GimmeWii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a chance password protections on settings may be added? Kids and siblings can do horrible things I heard. Like a simple PIN would be enough to protect settings from being changed and games being removed.

GimmeWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!