Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wbfs vs. fat question has been addressed MANY times, in this thread and elsewhere. If the speed issues have been resolved, which appears to be the case, there really is no reason not to use FAT32, unless you just can't stand the idea of having split files for the games over 4GB, or the use of titleid's as filenames necessitating an additional .txt file for easy identification. The advantages of FAT32 are the ability to use any of the disk tools such as defrag, repartitioning, etc. And if you like to use the homebrew ISO forwarders, such as for Triiforce NAND loading from within the USB loader, you can put those onto your drive with ftpii so you don't have to move the drive around. Of course there's nothing stopping you from doing it with larger ISO's as well if you have the time.

daleybox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question, I have been using the loader for a week or two and so far it's been outstanding, not a single hiccup. I have a new 1TB hard drive and I was thinking about partitioning it as 500GB FAT32 and 500GB NTFS for larger files. As long as I make sure the FAT32 is the first partition, should it work fine with the loader? I imagine it should, but I haven't seen anything about NTFS partitions on a drive, just FAT32 and WBFS. I've been using the FAT method since I started, so I know everything is setup for it. Thanks.

daleybox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mousex said:
Yes, it works with NTFS and FAT32. This loader even loads a FAT32 partition if it is labeled as XFS.

Great thanks! One other thing I was wondering, can you convert wbfs files back to an ISO?

daleybox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
yes, its still in the developing stages, so keep looking HERE for updates. But this app is the most promising, fig2k4 is doing a great job!

So this would be able to potentially convert a .wbfs file set from a FAT32 partition back to an ISO which could be burned to disc? Thanks, I'll look at the thread...

Cyman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dpanter said:
NSMB works for me too, even tho I have a PAL machine I still use the NTSC version with default options in the loader. Running it on 222.

Wii: 4.2E, HBC 1.0.6, BootMii IOS, cIOS 249 r14, cIOS 222/223 r4, Configurable USB Loader v48-FAT

And yes, a properly scrubbed NSMB ISO means you get a ~350 MB .wbfs.

If you are interested, mine is named SMNE01.wbfs and is exactly 369,098,752 bytes.

Why is my New Super Mario Bros. Wii WBFS file called NSMP01.wbfs and 377MB in size?
Even after putting it into the wbfs folder in the root of the device, I can't get it to run.
I tried a couple of different settings like the 002 fix, country fix, trying it with IOS 222 and 223, but no success.
Maybe I need another copy of the game?
BTW, I am running a PAL Wii.

EDIT:
I think I figured that SMNE01.wbfs is the NTSC version of the game.
Anyways, I think it is weird, that the European/PAL version is so much bigger in size.

usptactical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyman said:
Why is my New Super Mario Bros. Wii WBFS file called NSMP01.wbfs and 377MB in size?
Even after putting it into the wbfs folder in the root of the device, I can't get it to run.
I tried a couple of different settings like the 002 fix, country fix, trying it with IOS 222 and 223, but no success.

Are you sure it's not SMNP01.wbfs? SMN is the game code for NSMB. And it's smaller because it's been scrubbed.

You need to use cios 222 for FAT games to even show up so sounds like you're OK there. Are you using cfg v48?
You should just be able to press A and run it without changing any game options.

edit:
Ah OK. If it's NTSC, try changing the video to System Default

Tristar

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone have a link to v48b or 48b2 ?

I just did an online update to 48 release and it just freezes at the splash screen. (the 48fat version does too)

all previous versions work perfectly but I didn't have a copy of 48b or 48b2 and the links here do not work (file not found)

Thanks

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
daleybox said:
xflak40 said:
yes, its still in the developing stages, so keep looking HERE for updates. But this app is the most promising, fig2k4 is doing a great job!

So this would be able to potentially convert a .wbfs file set from a FAT32 partition back to an ISO which could be burned to disc? Thanks, I'll look at the thread...
wwt/wit does it without problems.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Wii backup Manager for Windows is the ultimate wbfs manager (in my opinion)
biggrin.gif

I liked it 10 revisions ago, and it gets better every day

I don't like having to use command prompt to transfer/convert games... too much of a pain in my @$$

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Tristar said:

I just did an online update to 48 release and it just freezes at the splash screen. (the 48fat version does too)

all previous versions work perfectly but I didn't have a copy of 48b or 48b2 and the links here do not work (file not found)

Thanks
It seems oggzee removed them from the server, so you will need him to put them back up or someone else to rehost one of them. 47 and 47-fat are still available.

Perhaps when downloading, oggzee should copy the current boot.dol to a backup file to allow easy recovery for problems like this.

ozman50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
ozman50 said:
guess everyon is too busy bickering to help....

anyone have any ideas abou why configurable usb loader is showing an extra partition?
I did ignore the post due to lack of info. However, I also assumed this would either be a recovery partition from a WIndows 7 installation (which would only be about 100MB), or some left over space caused by an inability to partition to the full size of the drive due to cluster sizes, etc. (typically 8MB-32MB). Both of these would be useless to you, so just ignore them if that's the case. Just worry if the drive size of your main partition is not approximately equal to the reported size of the drive.

I am actuall aware of this, the size is massive... the size ofthe drive is 465gb which i know is normal... the unused partition is extended and it is 225 gb...

OncleJulien said:
QUOTE(ozman50 @ Nov 26 2009, 11:07 AM)
guess everyon is too busy bickering to help....

anyone have any ideas abou why configurable usb loader is showing an extra partition?
if you had just held on a little longer, it would have been a full 12 hours since anyone bickered - but good luck with your totally not a problem in any way shape or form partitions!

the real victim here is my unanswered wbfs vs fat question...oh, the humanity!
sorry didnt' realize it was only 12 hours... it's windows vista i have.. its external seagate expansion... not sure of the model number i just know it's 500gb... the problem is that this partition i showing up as 225gb because i'm assuming if it as mb it would show up as .22 or something like that but it's showing up as 225.45

ps. as for the wbfs vs fat. wbfs as the games are scrubbed automatically saveing you loads and loads of space....

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
ozman50 said:
ps. as for the wbfs vs fat. wbfs as the games are scrubbed automatically saveing you loads and loads of space....
Games are scrubbed on FAT too (they use the same file structure as when they go onto a WBFS partition), and due to the smaller cluster size, they actually take up less space on a FAT drive than on a WBFS drive.

As for your partitioning problem, I have no clue what's going on. Try using GParted to have a look at the drive and see if you can repartition.

Cyman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usptactical said:
Cyman said:

Are you sure it's not SMNP01.wbfs? SMN is the game code for NSMB. And it's smaller because it's been scrubbed.

You need to use cios 222 for FAT games to even show up so sounds like you're OK there. Are you using cfg v48?
You should just be able to press A and run it without changing any game options.

edit:
Ah OK. If it's NTSC, try changing the video to System Default

Yeah, you're right, it was just a mistake of mine with the file name in my post, it's indeed called SMNP01.wbfs.
Anyway, I downloaded the PAL version, so none of the options worked. I tried it loading with default options as well as trying out some of the options. None worked as I already stated.
I am downloading other versions now to try it again and yes, I am using v48 of the Loader.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
daleybox said:
mousex said:
Yes, it works with NTFS and FAT32. This loader even loads a FAT32 partition if it is labeled as XFS.

Great thanks! One other thing I was wondering, can you convert wbfs files back to an ISO?
You should be able to do that with wbfs_file. Drag a .wbfs file into it and it'll spit out an ISO

helaciouscrumb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tristar said:

Thanks

Did you get this fixed?

The exact same has happened to me, completely out of the blue. The loader will not load past the flash screen. It's been working flawlessly before this and all of the sudden, I can't get past the splash screen. Any suggestions

Edit: More details on the system: My son's Wii, 4.2 via Nintendo, installed this loader last week for his birthday. All worked great last dol was 48a2-fat. Tried v48-fat release, and v48 and all freeze at splash. I can take his sd card and put it in my wii and it loads just fine with all versions. The only difference is he downloaded the Pokemon Rumble Demo last week, and it hasn't been tried since, doubt this has anything to do with it but maybe.

dpanter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Strange that it should hang like that all of a sudden...
I updated the loader on my sisters Wii tonight, about 6 hours ago. Wii firmware 4.2E and she was using v48b2-fat, I updated to v48-fat in the loader itself. Worked perfectly, just in case you guys are thinking about file corruption on the update server.

Does your SD-card work in his machine? Maybe you need to reinstall some cIOS if the demo changed something... I'm guessing here, probably not helping that much.
tongue.gif

Ogz/Clip might have some idea.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
helaciouscrumb said:
Tristar said:

Thanks

Did you get this fixed?

The exact same has happened to me, completely out of the blue. The loader will not load past the flash screen. It's been working flawlessly before this and all of the sudden, I can't get past the splash screen. Any suggestions

Edit: More details on the system: My son's Wii, 4.2 via Nintendo, installed this loader last week for his birthday. All worked great last dol was 48a2-fat. Tried v48-fat release, and v48 and all freeze at splash. I can take his sd card and put it in my wii and it loads just fine with all versions. The only difference is he downloaded the Pokemon Rumble Demo last week, and it hasn't been tried since, doubt this has anything to do with it but maybe.
Can both of you put debug=1 to config.txt and let me know if anything else is printed?

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mousex said:
daleybox said:
xflak40 said:

wwt/wit does it without problems.
wbfs_file_1.8 has done .wbfs to .iso fine for me too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission