Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Llanowyn said:
I've actually been having some trouble during what I would assume would be load times where my disc slot glows blue. Nothing happens on the game (any game) until I pull the usb out of my hard drive and plug it back in. The game continues from that point on like nothing ever happened. Seems somewhat dangerous and I haven't been able to find out why that happens yet. I have a loooooong thread to read.
It sounds like spindown. Try using IOS222/223 if you aren't already. Otherwise, try looking for tools to disable spindown on your drive.

Llanowyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Llanowyn said:
I've actually been having some trouble during what I would assume would be load times where my disc slot glows blue. Nothing happens on the game (any game) until I pull the usb out of my hard drive and plug it back in. The game continues from that point on like nothing ever happened. Seems somewhat dangerous and I haven't been able to find out why that happens yet. I have a loooooong thread to read.
It sounds like spindown. Try using IOS222/223 if you aren't already. Otherwise, try looking for tools to disable spindown on your drive.

Thanks Dr. Clipper!

I'll start searching for spindown and see if I can find anything. I have both 222 and 223 installed but I generally just use 222.

Edit: After a quick search, I found a guide right here on gbatemp. Hope this helps anyone who's having the same trouble I am.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146789&st=15

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmm, i hadnt read anything about using the anti 002 fix (trust me, i searched...) maybe it will work after that! o, and kudos to you Llanowyn, for searching! you only have 2 posts, but you figured it out!
yaynds.gif

Llanowyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may have a new account here, but I've been around forums for a long, long time. Of course you must know what you're looking for, before you can search for it.

I don't have the 002 fix set to ON in my setup. When I get out of work I'll post again and let you know what all of my settings are.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
baffle-boy said:
hmm, i hadnt read anything about using the anti 002 fix (trust me, i searched...) maybe it will work after that! o, and kudos to you Llanowyn, for searching! you only have 2 posts, but you figured it out!
yaynds.gif
You shouldn't need the Anti 002 fix unless you are on rev 13b or 12 or lower of IOS249. What Wii firmware version are you on again?

Edit: Oh, 4.1U according to your sig. That should rule out you needing to install the new IOSes...

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmmm, so hen it is some weird... "mystery problem" because im pretty darn usre i have IOS rev 14 and i tried with 222 merge 60 and 223 merge 37... with two different copies, and the loader works fine for other games.maybe it IS a problem with wbfs manager, is it normal for it to shave off around 4GB of data?

dpanter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
NSMB works for me too, even tho I have a PAL machine I still use the NTSC version with default options in the loader. Running it on 222.

Wii: 4.2E, HBC 1.0.6, BootMii IOS, cIOS 249 r14, cIOS 222/223 r4, Configurable USB Loader v48-FAT

And yes, a properly scrubbed NSMB ISO means you get a ~350 MB .wbfs.

If you are interested, mine is named SMNE01.wbfs and is exactly 369,098,752 bytes.

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmmm, so then it is some weird... "mystery problem" because im pretty darn usre i have IOS rev 14 and i tried with 222 merge 60 and 223 merge 37... with two different copies, and the loader works fine for other games.maybe it IS a problem with wbfs manager, is it normal for it to shave off around 4GB of data?

HemiSync

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
baffle-boy said:
hmmm, so then it is some weird... "mystery problem" because im pretty darn usre i have IOS rev 14 and i tried with 222 merge 60 and 223 merge 37... with two different copies, and the loader works fine for other games.maybe it IS a problem with wbfs manager, is it normal for it to shave off around 4GB of data?
I have a NTSC system and it is working 100% with v48 and no settings turned on, using 249 and cios14. I did use an unpatched iso with WBFSManager 3.0.1 RTW x64 available at here. It scrubbed down to 0.53GB and this is not all that unusual as many games are much smaller than the 4.37 iso they come on, for example Fantasy Aquarium scrubs down to 0.04GB. Not sure why the difference between mine and the reported 0.35GB some are saying except that may be a due to the wbfs program being used to scrub & install it. It does sound like you have a bad dump although you say that you have tried different ones. But it must be that or some off the wall IOS difference I am not considering. Anyhow I hope this helps and you can find the rest of the info about my system listed in my sig.

dpanter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Forgot to mention it but I used a clean, straight, unpatched ISO.
smile.gif

The size difference is probably in the update partition. I always convert ISO->wbfs with the latest wbfs_file.exe (using 1.8 atm) and I always remove the update partition with the command line switch -g = Copy only game partition from ISO. This really shaves off gigabytes quickly and should IMHO be default.

If you want it done easily in a batch file, copy this command into a new .BAT file and put it in the same folder as wbfs_file.exe and your ISO's. Edit as needed if you want other paths etc.

for %%i in (*.iso) do wbfs_file.exe -g "%%i" convert d:\destination_folder_name\

Llanowyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SMNE01 is 0.53GB. Everything is default except for IOS at 223-mload. I think my wii's running 3.2U, but I'm not 100% on that.

Works fine except for the whole spindown thing on my usb hard drive occasionally. Other than that, I have to remember to use that handy -G switch, or whichever one keeps your file sizes small.

Cyman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to USB loaders since I just updated my softmodded 3.2 Wii to 4.2 and the newest homebrew, hacks etc. after more than half a year.
I tried out Configurable USB Loader and other USB loaders and so far CFG Loader looks like my favorite.
Aynway I am having problems setting it up or to be more precise, I can't get a game to run.
I used Simple WBFS File Manager to convert NSMBWii from ISO to WBFS, resulting in a 388MB file. I put it in a folder called NSMBWii in the root of my 16GB FAT32 formatted SDHC card that I connected via an adaptor to the USB 0 port and also copied it on my homebrew 4GB non-HC SD, FAT16 formatted card which is in the Wii SD slot.
Starting the Loader it mounts the SDHC card, but says it doesn't find any game.
I also set the config.txt file up using the Configurator Tool, setting "partition = ask" and "device = ask".
My next thought was to put the .wbfs file that was created to the root of the SD, too, but that didn't make any difference.
Can anyone explain what to do or why the Loader odesn't find the game on the device?
I am considering taking one of my older (yet 320GB) hard drives and either format it to WBFS format or use it with WBFS game files, but this is just my last option because I think I prefer using single games on my SDHC card. One more question: given I use a HDD, does it have to be formatted in FAT/FAT32 in order to work with the Loader and WBFS files (I mean if you don't want to convert it to WBFS) or does it also work with NTFS partitions?

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Cyman

Read the FAT FAQ in the 1st post it will answer most of your questions ie.
QUOTE said:
Q: I have copied the .wbfs files to my usb drive but the loader doesn't see them?
A: The files have to be copied to the \wbfs folder on the FAT partition, like this: D:\wbfs\GAMEID.wbfs
Edit: So for the NTSC-U copy of New Super Mario Bros. Wii the directory and file name to use is USB:\wbfs\SMNE01.wbfs.
Loading FAT games via the Wii SD slot is not supported.

mskiller

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi everybody,

using cfg_loader v48 with wii v4.2u, love it, playing snmb everynight with my son, using the snmb.dol in my hdd with patching activate in game option, as i'm reading here i might be able to launch it without any patching since v47 ? will try it tonight...anyway keep up that good works, and for suggestion adding gamecube iso launcher to this gui would make it even more perfect

cheers up y all

mskiller

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i will just try it deactivating the option, not deleting the snmp.dol...so if it works perfect for futur hdd if not i just reactivate the option
wink.gif

ozman50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
guess everyon is too busy bickering to help....

anyone have any ideas abou why configurable usb loader is showing an extra partition?

HemiSync

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ozman50 said:
Sorry to post this here but I have just purchased a seagate 500gb expansion external hard drive and when I connect it to my wii and use config usb loader it detects an extended partition that the partitioning tools i have installed on my pc don't.. I was just wondering what it's for and if I can access it and use te space..
QUOTE(ozman50 @ Nov 26 2009, 01:07 PM) guess everyon is too busy bickering to help....

anyone have any ideas abou why configurable usb loader is showing an extra partition?
Sorry but maybe no one had an answer for you or maybe it was the limited amount of info you gave to begin with. Some additional things that might help would be the model number of the drive, the size of the partition, the name of the partitioning tool on your PC that did not pickup this partition, did you try deleting all the partitions when you got the drive and create a new one? All those things could help someone help you.

My Seagate Freeagent GO has always show 4 partitions when accessing the global options on usb loader. #1 is my fat32 partition for apps and roms, #2 is my WBFS partition, and #3 & 4 are UNUSED with a size of 0.00GB. It has always said that, the partitions do not show up on partition magic or windows disk management. Being that they are zero in size I have never worried about them. It seems to be a something that all usb loaders I have tried show. Give us some more info on your setup and maybe someone can help.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
ozman50 said:

I did ignore the post due to lack of info. However, I also assumed this would either be a recovery partition from a WIndows 7 installation (which would only be about 100MB), or some left over space caused by an inability to partition to the full size of the drive due to cluster sizes, etc. (typically 8MB-32MB). Both of these would be useless to you, so just ignore them if that's the case. Just worry if the drive size of your main partition is not approximately equal to the reported size of the drive.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ozman50 said:

if you had just held on a little longer, it would have been a full 12 hours since anyone bickered - but good luck with your totally not a problem in any way shape or form partitions!

the real victim here is my unanswered wbfs vs fat question...oh, the humanity!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kontrolfreek.com/products/south-park-kenny-edition-thumbsticks?utm_source=facebook&ut...