Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sacohen9665 said:
It may not be his fight , but at least in the United States he has a little thing called Freedom of Speech and he can say whatever he wants,

So too did the user whose fight it genuinely was, whom you referred to as an idiot for exercising it.

QUOTEwe also have the right not to agree with his opinion, but in this case I do.
I guess you both missed the part where you appear to be a pirate under his definition as well.
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
man, first a fight about licenses and source code, now one about piracy, i mean, PIRACY?? cmon people, its been argued before, just leave it alone! seeing as this is a thread about help/releases i suggest you take advantage of little something i have fondly nicknamed "PMs" (that's stands for Private Messages kids!), as it just so happens that these do not take up space in threads!...
wink.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Skizzo said:
What I find amusing is that given your broad definition of pirate, right or wrong, you seem to have included yourself amongst them. Which makes your rants all the more hilarious (not to mention sanctimonious).
I was confused by this statement because I couldn't work out how I was calling myself a pirate. Then I thought you might have been referring to my choice to join GBATemp, knowing that there were pirates here, which made a little more sense. I'm actually seriously reconsidering that decision now.

QUOTE(Skizzo @ Nov 25 2009, 10:27 AM) I guess you both missed the part where you appear to be a pirate under his definition as well.
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif
And now I'm just confused again. Could you please tell me what you think my definition was?

For the record, I believe piracy (wrt games) to be any act of downloading or obtaining games that you do not own, selling or distributing games to others, or willing use of games that you have obtained via others' piracy (which covers downloading somebody else's rip of the game even if you own it).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Dr. Clipper, I hope u choose to stay @ gbatemp, if u choose to leave it will be a loss for us all.

I'm not going to give u a sob story about why u should stay... but just remember, we're not all pirates, and there's a reason why we all chose gbatemp in the first place, its because its cutting edge, we get shit done, and done right (except for noobs, they suck, lol)!!

Loganzin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dr. Clipper said:
Skizzo said:
What I find amusing is that given your broad definition of pirate, right or wrong, you seem to have included yourself amongst them. Which makes your rants all the more hilarious (not to mention sanctimonious).
I was confused by this statement because I couldn't work out how I was calling myself a pirate. Then I thought you might have been referring to my choice to join GBATemp, knowing that there were pirates here, which made a little more sense. I'm actually seriously reconsidering that decision now.

QUOTE(Skizzo @ Nov 25 2009, 10:27 AM) I guess you both missed the part where you appear to be a pirate under his definition as well.
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif
And now I'm just confused again. Could you please tell me what you think my definition was?

For the record, I believe piracy (wrt games) to be any act of downloading or obtaining games that you do not own, selling or distributing games to others, or willing use of games that you have obtained via others' piracy (which covers downloading somebody else's rip of the game even if you own it).

Don't leave us man, don't bother them, GBAtemp is not a pirate only community, many join here because elsewhere people aren't just as capable of being so helpful and doing awesome stuff, like your loader.

So really..nevermind the whiners and keep up the awesome work of urs

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
first off, if you dont like my pirating ways, then don't help me
wink.gif
but i had a problem a while ago and still can't solve it, here is the origninal post:
baffle-boy said:
Dr. Clipper said:
baffle-boy said:
i was using cfg 48b and i tried IOS 249 and 223, but NTSC NSMB wont work for me. i get a message like this: "an error has occurred, press the eject button, remove the game, and turn the power off to the console, etc, etc." i thought there was some sort of a fix included for it, maybe there is some option i was supposed to change? also the cover image doesn't show for it... i don't know why that would be. i think i got a version without any patches... but i suppose it COULD be a bad dump.
If covers aren't showing up, then the disk would have the wrong ID. Wrong ID means the game won't be patched. Check the ID on the options screen and see if the game ID starts with "SMNE". My suggestion for a solution is to buy the game and rip it yourself. This game is well worth your money.

nope, the game has the right ID: "SMNE". and i suppose the loader is recognizing it because it was renamed to "new SUPER MARIO BROS." i often have problems with covers because i have to manually download them... so i suppose that is fine. well, if the ID is correct, then i suppose it's nothing to do with the loader or the IOS... right? i guess i'll go "acquire" another copy.

sooo i went ahead and got another copy from a different source/dumper but i still get the EXACT same problem. the only thing i can think of is that maybe WBFS manager 3.0 is messing up with it's scrubbing... the original file is around 4.3 GB but the end result from WBFS manager was around 0.3 GB, that would be where the problem is right? however it could still be cfg loader, because it wont show the covers i manually downloaded.

montymintypie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't been able to find this in the loader documentation or using the configurator.

How do you add download sources for Ocarina codes?

I'd like to add something along the lines of:
http://geckocodes.org/codes/R/{ID6}.txt

I have no idea!

Also, any chance of making launched games come up in play history? I already asked this, but you may have missed it. Tell me to shut up if its not possible or not going to be implemented
laugh.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
montymintypie said:
Haven't been able to find this in the loader documentation or using the configurator.

How do you add download sources for Ocarina codes?

I'd like to add something along the lines of:
http://geckocodes.org/codes/R/{ID6}.txt

I have no idea!
It's not configurable at the moment. It looks like a bug in the code, so it'll probably be fixed in the next release. Cfg currently uses what could be listed as:
Code:
http://geckocodes.org/codes/{ID1}/{ID6}.txt

It looks like R should be used even if the first character of the ID is S. I guess this is due to the S character being pretty new as the start of IDs.

QUOTEAlso, any chance of making launched games come up in play history? I already asked this, but you may have missed it. Tell me to shut up if its not possible or not going to be implemented
laugh.gif
You mean on the Message Board? Not possible right now unless you install a channel for each game.

drizzt007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
drizzt007 said:
I'm using hbc_dopios_v7 , is this still the latest version?
That sounds like your Dop_IOS version more than HBC. Just install the latest version, which is 1.0.6. Instructions to do so are here.

ok, I upgraded to the latest HBC version. the button for the option to load from USB is greyed out , though.

here's a screenshot of what the SD card looks like.
screenshot

so , what am I missing?
If everything's in order here , then I assume the USB drive isn't compatible.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
drizzt007 said:
If everything's in order here , then I assume the USB drive isn't compatible.
That could be the case. However, even if the option looks greyed out, try selecting it. It actually looks a little greyed out by default.

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's be fair. Everyone who uses this thread has used Configurable USB Loader, and thus used Backed Up games from somewhere. According to Nintendo, at least in the front page of my USA release Wii Game guides, the Important Legal Information clearly says "COPYING of ANY Nintendo game is ILLEGAL and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international...laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are NOT authorized..."

Everyone using this forum is in violation, so let's not assume anyone here is better than anyone else. No matter if you have 1 or 600, and if you own the original copy or not, we're all guilty. You can try to justify it however you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Toughschmidt said:
Let's be fair. Everyone who uses this thread has used Configurable USB Loader, and thus used Backed Up games from somewhere. According to Nintendo, at least in the front page of my USA release Wii Game guides, the Important Legal Information clearly says "COPYING of ANY Nintendo game is ILLEGAL and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international...laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are NOT authorized..."

Everyone using this forum is in violation, so let's not assume anyone here is better than anyone else. No matter if you have 1 or 600, and if you own the original copy or not, we're all guilty. You can try to justify it however you want, but it doesn't change the facts.
There is a huge difference between the legality and morality in this case.

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
There is a huge difference between the legality and morality in this case.

Sorry, but morals are unique to different individuals. The legality is enforced amongst all. In either case, neither issue is relevant to the topic of this forum.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Toughschmidt said:

I think that backup and archival copies fall under fair-use laws.
If nintendo does not authorise you to make a backup copy this does not mean it is illegal.
Car manufacturers also don't authorise you to tinker under the hood but that is not illegal.
I can say that I don't authorize you to reply to my post and again it is not illegal.

About fair use:
http://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php
QUOTE1. What is Fair Use?
In essence, fair use is a limitation on the exclusive rights of copyright holders. The Copyright Act gives copyright holders the exclusive right to reproduce works for a limited time period. Fair use is a limitation on this right. A use which is considered "fair" does not infringe copyright, even if it involves one of the exclusive rights of copyright holders. Fair use allows consumers to make a copy of part or all of a copyrighted work, even where the copyright holder has not given permission or objects to your use of the work.

4. What's been recognized as fair use?
* Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
Toughschmidt said:

I think that backup and archival copies fall under fair-use laws.
If nintendo does not authorise you to make a backup copy this does not mean it is illegal.
Car manufacturers also don't authorise you to tinker under the hood but that is not illegal.
I can not authorize you to reply to my post and again it is not illegal.

About fair use:
http://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php
QUOTE4. What's been recognized as fair use?
* Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.

It's all well and good, but when Nintendo says specifically "Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal," and ripping to a hard drive is copying, it would seem that Fair Use does not apply. Especially when Fair Use states "the legal basis is not completely settled." So, you have one for sure illegal vs. a rough outline of Fair Use. Either way, I'm not here to judge anyone, and I'd just as well let this issue be decided on a different playing field.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Toughschmidt said:
It's all well and good, but when it says specifically "Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal," it would seem that Fair Use does not apply. Especially when Fair Use states "the legal basis is not completely settled." So, you have one for sure illegal vs. a rough outline of Fair Use. Either way, I'm not here to judge anyone, and I'd just as well let this issue be decided on a different playing field.
The legality of that statement can only be established by a judge.
There has not been any precedent where nintendo would sue someone for making a backup copy for personal use, so you can't say it's for sure illegal. The legality is questionable in the same amount as is questionable fair use. Then again only a judge can say who will win. But I think it's pretty safe to assume that making backup copies for personal use will win because of fair use, it has won before.

I can say: it's illegal to reply to my post, but that does not make it a law.
The statement that nintendo is making stands ground when it is applied to piracy but it's questionable when it is applied to fair use and personal copies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...