Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
I can say: it's illegal to reply to my post, but that does not make it a law.
The statement that nintendo is making stands ground when it is applied to piracy but it's questionable when it is applied to fair use and personal copies.

Right, I realize that just because you say something is illegal does not make it illegal. Murder is illegal. I did not write the law, I am mearly stating it. Nintendo states "Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal." The exact wording of the documentation of the law itself I am unsure of, and I realize that is what is judged over, continuously. Fair Use is a contradiction to that statement alone, and one judge may not decide as another does, that is opinion. The debate shall continue, but what we have word for word is "Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal." And, if people feel that that doesn't apply to them for one reason or another, that's not for any of us to determine--as you say, it would be up to a judge, and a court of appeals, and so on. As it's worded, which is what we have to go on from Nintendo, it does apply to all of us.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Toughschmidt said:
Right, I realize that just because you say something is illegal does not make it illegal. Murder is illegal. I did not write the law, I am mearly stating it. Nintendo states "Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal." The exact wording of the documentation of the law itself I am unsure of, and I realize that is what is judged over, continuously. Fair Use is a contradiction to that statement alone, and one judge may not decide as another does, that is opinion. The debate shall continue, but what we have word for word is "Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal." And, if people feel that that doesn't apply to them for one reason or another, that's not for any of us to determine--as you say, it would be up to a judge, and a court of appeals, and so on.
Right. That's what I was trying to say.
Let me quote another bit of info, from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
QUOTECommon misunderstandings:
* You can deny fair use by including a disclaimer. - this is false, because:
Fair use is a right granted to the public on all copyrighted work. Fair use rights take precedence over the author's interest. Thus the copyright holder cannot use a non-binding disclaimer, or notification, to revoke the right of fair use on works.
With this i think i can rest my case
wink.gif

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gil21 said:
TeenTin said:
gil21 said:
should i format my hd to fat or fat32

FAT32
but i heard fat 32 cannot go with data more than 4gb?
and how to use wbfs file 1.8?
There's a FAT support FAQ on the first post of this thread. Download wbfs_file_1.8 and read the readme files. Thats why they're there. If you're on Windows and don't want to deal with command lines then use Wii Backup Manager.

drizzt007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
drizzt007 said:
If everything's in order here , then I assume the USB drive isn't compatible.
That could be the case. However, even if the option looks greyed out, try selecting it. It actually looks a little greyed out by default.

I tried , doesn't work.

did you look at the screenshot I linked to ?
what do you think, does it look like everything is ok?

q3a

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there any possibility that UsbLoader can record how times I played of each game, and it would be great that I can view the games covers order by played times.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Skizzo said:
What I find amusing is that given your broad definition of pirate, right or wrong, you seem to have included yourself amongst them. Which makes your rants all the more hilarious (not to mention sanctimonious).
I was confused by this statement because I couldn't work out how I was calling myself a pirate. Then I thought you might have been referring to my choice to join GBATemp, knowing that there were pirates here, which made a little more sense. I'm actually seriously reconsidering that decision now.
LOL. The thinly veiled "I'm leaving unless you shut this guy up!!1!" threat. Loving it.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE said:
I guess you both missed the part where you appear to be a pirate under his definition as well.
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif
And now I'm just confused again. Could you please tell me what you think my definition was?

For the record, I believe piracy (wrt games) to be any act of downloading or obtaining games that you do not own, selling or distributing games to others, or willing use of games that you have obtained via others' piracy (which covers downloading somebody else's rip of the game even if you own it).
Oh...then I guess we can disregard your previous statement/definition of Dr. Clipper
Downloading .ISOs of games you already own is still piracy. The only way that isn't (depending on your location) is making your own backups, which is incredibly easy to do with your own disc and the Wii. Besides, you discussed downloading several different .ISO releases with various regions and patches and so on. You can't blame someone for jumping to conclusions with that.

So according to that statement, just about everyone using USB loaders is a pirate, yourself included.

And if you do indeed reside in Australia, you are NOT allowed to make backups of your Wii games. Thus my comment that you too are a pirate, but if we're just going to be willy nilly with definitions and change them as we see fit, then I guess it doesn't matter. Anyways, keep fighting the good fight!
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif

For the record, I was simply saying that you are in a place that clearly embraces piracy. And just as it would be inappropriate or disrespectful to go into someone's house where they accept all races and start preaching white power or some other ignorant racist bullshit, it might be the same here with regards to piracy or pirates. But hey, exercise all the freedoms you want. Just don't complain (or issue thinly veiled threats hoping to rally the sycophants) when others do the same.
smile.gif

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
Toughschmidt said:
Let's be fair. Everyone who uses this thread has used Configurable USB Loader, and thus used Backed Up games from somewhere. According to Nintendo, at least in the front page of my USA release Wii Game guides, the Important Legal Information clearly says "COPYING of ANY Nintendo game is ILLEGAL and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international...laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are NOT authorized..."

Everyone using this forum is in violation, so let's not assume anyone here is better than anyone else. No matter if you have 1 or 600, and if you own the original copy or not, we're all guilty. You can try to justify it however you want, but it doesn't change the facts.
I think that backup and archival copies fall under fair-use laws.
If nintendo does not authorise you to make a backup copy this does not mean it is illegal.
Car manufacturers also don't authorise you to tinker under the hood but that is not illegal.
I can say that I don't authorize you to reply to my post and again it is not illegal.

About fair use:
http://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php
QUOTE1. What is Fair Use?
In essence, fair use is a limitation on the exclusive rights of copyright holders. The Copyright Act gives copyright holders the exclusive right to reproduce works for a limited time period. Fair use is a limitation on this right. A use which is considered "fair" does not infringe copyright, even if it involves one of the exclusive rights of copyright holders. Fair use allows consumers to make a copy of part or all of a copyrighted work, even where the copyright holder has not given permission or objects to your use of the work.

4. What's been recognized as fair use?
* Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.
This may be true for some countries, but certainly not all, like Australia.

http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/g016.pdf

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Skizzo said:
Oh...then I guess we can disregard your previous statement/definition of
Dr. Clipper said:
Downloading .ISOs of games you already own is still piracy. The only way that isn't (depending on your location) is making your own backups, which is incredibly easy to do with your own disc and the Wii. Besides, you discussed downloading several different .ISO releases with various regions and patches and so on. You can't blame someone for jumping to conclusions with that.

So according to that statement, just about everyone using USB loaders is a pirate, yourself included.
Um, no. I've never downloaded a Wii game. All I've done is format shift the games I have bought onto the hard drive. The case I bolded there is the third clause of my definition.

QUOTE said:
And if you do indeed reside in Australia, you are NOT allowed to make backups of your Wii games. Thus my comment that you too are a pirate, but if we're just going to be willy nilly with definitions and change them as we see fit, then I guess it doesn't matter. Anyways, keep fighting the good fight!
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif
I never said I wasn't doing anything illegal. I know very well that I am breaking Australian copyright law by format shifting non-audio media. If I was basing this on what is legal, then yes, my argument would be highly hypocritical.

I doubt anyone sane believes that piracy is a moral thing to do. They may see it as a victimless crime with no chance of punishment, and it is their right to be able to choose to do it and ignore the moral implications. I respect that, I do not attack the pirates themselves, I just refuse to help them to pirate, and occasionally make fun of their actions.

For the record, I was simply saying that you are in a place that clearly embraces piracy. And just as it would be inappropriate or disrespectful to go into someone's house where they accept all races and start preaching white power or some other ignorant racist bullshit, it might be the same here with regards to piracy or pirates. But hey, exercise all the freedoms you want. Just don't complain (or issue thinly veiled threats hoping to rally the sycophants) when others do the same.
smile.gif
You are really trying to compare this to racism?

ozman50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to post this here but I have just purchased a seagate 500gb expansion external hard drive and when I connect it to my wii and use config usb loader it detects an extended partition that the partitioning tools i have installed on my pc don't.. I was just wondering what it's for and if I can access it and use te space..

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
for future reference, do you (developers) think that loading games from FAT-partition (or any other format) will be faster/as fast as WBFS is today?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Vattu said:
for future reference, do you (developers) think that loading games from FAT-partition (or any other format) will be faster/as fast as WBFS is today?
It already is about the same speed. oggzee has made several improvements in the last few versions such that the speed of random access has increased tenfold since oggzee released the first FAT implementation. You can actually use the profiling option (debug=8) to compare the loading speeds between FAT and WBFS yourself.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
It already is about the same speed. oggzee has made several improvements in the last few versions such that the speed of random access has increased tenfold since oggzee released the first FAT implementation. You can actually use the profiling option (debug=8) to compare the loading speeds between FAT and WBFS yourself.
is there any compelling reason to use it? other than being able discard wbfs managers and the like, does it offer any other benefits?

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*sigh* I bet my question was likely lost in all the battles about legality/morality of pirating (as i said before USE THE DARN PM SYSTEM (unless oggzee doesn't mind it, i guess it IS his thread)) but im still unable to play NSMB (NTSC) through the cfg usb loader, i suppose i could always try the PAL version, but can you confirm that the ntsc version actually works? or, you know... offer advice (even saying "we don't know what's wrong with ur crazy wii" would help, then i would know its something weird on my end...) the post is two pages back... fourth from the top.

Llanowyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
baffle-boy said:
can you confirm that the ntsc version actually works?

I can confirm that it does work. I'll go back and read your original question, maybe I can give you some better input on what's happening. I'm certainly not an expert on this by any means, I've only been using the cfg usb loader for about 3 days.

I've actually been having some trouble during what I would assume would be load times where my disc slot glows blue. Nothing happens on the game (any game) until I pull the usb out of my hard drive and plug it back in. The game continues from that point on like nothing ever happened. Seems somewhat dangerous and I haven't been able to find out why that happens yet. I have a loooooong thread to read.

casper666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
baffle-boy said:
*sigh* I bet my question was likely lost in all the battles about legality/morality of pirating (as i said before USE THE DARN PM SYSTEM (unless oggzee doesn't mind it, i guess it IS his thread)) but im still unable to play NSMB (NTSC) through the cfg usb loader, i suppose i could always try the PAL version, but can you confirm that the ntsc version actually works? or, you know... offer advice (even saying "we don't know what's wrong with ur crazy wii" would help, then i would know its something weird on my end...) the post is two pages back... fourth from the top.

works for me
wii ntsc 4.1
loader version (48)
ios 249
anti 002 fix (on)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-dc2WPa7eA