Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OncleJulien said:
quepaso said:
A lot of people pirate, clipper. It is not your fight however. Unless you own stock with these game companys, then no need to be on a crusade against them. Making fun of them is fine tho, just keep it in perspective.
i'm fairly sure he can fight whatever fight he wishes to fight, when his weapon is his knowledge and his battlefield is the loader he's helping people operate.

i'm fine with his perspective.

It may not be his fight , but at least in the United States he has a little thing called Freedom of Speech and he can say whatever he wants, we also have the right not to agree with his opinion, but in this case I do.

drizzt007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
drizzt007 said:
Dr. Clipper said:
drizzt007 said:
is it possible to run everything from the USB drive and not need an SD card?

I have it working now but I thought I saw another thread where the guy mentions that HBC isn't necessary, and SD card isn't necessary if you have another partition(FAT) on the USB hard drive aside from the WBFS partition.

I thought I'd still need to install HBC and then install the forwarder so I can get the loader to show up as USB channel. Is this right ?
There are multiple ways to do this.

First, HBC doesn't need an SD card. It can read FAT partitions just fine. Copy over your /apps and /usb-loader directories and it should work (if it doesn't your drive may not be compatible with this method).

An alternative is to use the Universal Forwarder (or the hybrid) channel from the first post. You will need to do the same copies of directories to the drive mentioned in the previous case, but Cfg must either be in "/apps/usbloader" or "/apps/usbloader_cfg". I might have those directories wrong, but they are listed in the release notes of the forwarder.

A third method is to use the .dol included with the Universal Forwarder package as an autoboot from Preloader. Again, you will need to copy the directories into the specified locations.

hey DR. Clipper,

I tried copying the files over to the FAT partition on the drive but it didn't work.

when I try to launch Configurable USB loader , it says " Error : couldn't open file" , I'm guessing I put something in the wrong place.

also, you said I don't need the SD card for HBC , but every time I try to launch HBC , it automatically says loading SD card. Do I need to set something to get it to load from the FAT partition ?
other than copying the APPS and USB folder to the hard drive?

homebrew will try to access your sd card first, if one is not inserted in your wii, it will attempt to load via a fat32 hard drive (if inserted)

ok, so now I know why it says that.
I can get it to load HBC , but none of the apps are there.
I'm pretty sure its not a major problem , I've just got the files copied into the wrong folder or something.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
Wrong...actually, it's the Opposite...it works with IOS222/223. As far as I know, there are even no different compatibilties between Wanins and Hermes cIOS...but don't quote me on that...
unsure.gif
Yes, that it works with 222/223 and not rev 14 (although does work with rev10-13 & 15). However, there still are some incompatibilities. 249 still doesn't seem to like USB peripherals as much as 222/223 with 37 merged in.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
oggzee said:
xflak40 said:
does anyone have any idea how to create a channel loader (preferably compatible with Wiicrazy's "CRAP") that can create game specific channels which load from a FAT32 formatted hard drive, but does not have a splash screen like the current loader?
In other words, do you have any ideas how to make channels that load .wbfs games from a FAT hard drive, but that go directly from a black screen to the game?
This is probably the only thing holding me back from converting my library to .wbfs format
thx!
At the moment it's not possible but i will probably make that possible in the next version.
I'm just not sure if that should be the default or a parameter that crap could pass to the loader...

Well I think it would be better if it was parametric but say if parameter is not passed then default behaviour should be running silent... I'm quite sure some other people may like the current behaviour. Then in the next version of Crap I can bind the verbose log option to set your added parameter. So those who want this feature can update his conf. usb. loader and those who don't want it can create the channel with verbose log option set on in the next version of Crap. You can even make it a global option in cfg. usb loader to rule them all but that would need a lot of work compared to parameter stuff.

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this loader!!! I used to use USB Loader GX, but the games wouldn't load after I dumped them. So I switched to this one and they load. What's even better is that it remembers which partition you last loaded onto it. I just like the GUI better on GX. Anyone want to port that over to this? And add on the homebrew capability as well? Thank you, Configurable USB Loader team!!!

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
drizzt007 said:
I'm pretty sure its not a major problem , I've just got the files copied into the wrong folder or something.
Try pushing 1 and tell HBC to load from the USB device. The files should be installed in the apps directory, just as if they were on the SD card. There's also a possibility that there is a drive incompatibility between HBC and your drive.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
EeZeEpEe said:
I just converted all my games to .wbfs to put onto a FAT32 drive and I'm really happy with how things are working. Is there any way to get Metroid Prime Trilogy's Prime 3 alt dol to work? I read the following in the CFG tutorial:
QUOTE said:
Metroid Prime Trilogy doesn't work.
You'll need to use the alternate .dol method to play the games. You will also need Hermes' IOS222/223 to install MPT and play MP3 due to the dual layer bug in IOS249 rev 14.

From this I'm assuming that Metroid Prime 3 isn't compatible with CFG-FAT because you can't use ISO249. Am I correct?

Wrong...actually, it's the Opposite...it works with IOS222/223. As far as I know, there are even no different compatibilties between Wanins and Hermes cIOS...but don't quote me on that...
unsure.gif
Someone should change that in the FAQ then.

Dr. Clipper said:
QUOTE(Blue-K @ Nov 25 2009, 06:41 AM)
unsure.gif
Yes, that it works with 222/223 and not rev 14 (although does work with rev10-13 & 15). However, there still are some incompatibilities. 249 still doesn't seem to like USB peripherals as much as 222/223 with 37 merged in.
Okay that's what I thought. So then Metroid Prime Trilogy should work on a FAT32 hard drive right? I guess the ISO I have isn't a good one.

Any suggestions then to get this working? I figured 7.91 GB (7.44 GB installed with CFG) would be complete.

dacore84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
Skizzo said:
Well look Dr. Clipper, gbatemp.net clearly, without a fucking doubt, at least in part, caters to so-called pirates. Many mods/admins are clearly, without a fucking doubt, by their own admission, so-called pirates. So, if you want to get all sanctimonious, perhaps this isn't the place for it? I doubt the fucking manuals for the games that people may or may not buy answer any of the questions you get angry about so-called pirates asking repeatedly.
It also has some non-pirates, and I reserve my right to decide not to help pirates and proclaim why that is so. Are you seriously saying we shouldn't be allowed to voice our opinions on these issues just because there are pirates here? BTW, I'm not angry at these people, just frustrated with them, so I'll just throw out a backhanded comment every now and again to relieve the tension.

I actually find it quite amusing to get this sort of reaction too. It's always funny seeing people try to justify piracy.

Kind of sad though since nothing in my initial post said anything about a downloaded game. And still you reacted aggressive like this immediately.

I guess your kind of forum is a FAQ section with all info. Ask a question that is answered = banned!

You also assumed I would have read the README-CFG. Of course I did as I stated in my second question:

2. Regarding Wii Sports Resort. Do I still need to use wiiscrubber and get the .dol file, rename and place on SD-card? Or is this also working automatically without any extra work in newer versions of cfg usb loader? Read something about removing the Sam & Max fix did the trick. Is that true?

I read in the README that:

cfg v33b3 (beta3)

- Fixed game: Wii Sports Resort
(by disabling "Sam & Max" fix, which was not working properly anyway)

But I wasn´t 100% sure what they meant by that and therefore my question.

All I asked was a simple yes or no. I didn´t even asked for a smile and certainly not a war like this that is damaging the thread for no reason at all.

But hey, you did answer my questions so I´m very pleased anyway. Thanks.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
EeZeEpEe said:
Someone should change that FAQ then.
Read it again:
gwht said:
You'll need to use the alternate .dol method to play the games. You will also need Hermes' IOS222/223 to install MPT and play MP3 due to the dual layer bug in IOS249 rev 14.
I have no clue how you can read that as "it works with 249 but not 222" which is pretty much the exact opposite of what it says. And I did change it after your initial post to indicate that rev15 is also OK now, but I'd still like to know how you misinterpreted the original.

QUOTE said:
So then Metroid Prime Trilogy should work on a FAT32 hard drive right? I guess the ISO I have isn't a good one.

Any suggestions then to get this working? I figured 7.91 GB (7.44 GB installed with CFG) would be complete.
Yes, it does work on FAT. I do have a suggestion to get it working too. Install the game from the original disc.

dacore84 said:
Kind of sad though since nothing in my initial post said anything about a downloaded game. And still you reacted aggressive like this immediately.
You were just the straw that broke the camel's back, mate. It's been a long time coming and only a very small part of the original comment was targeted at you.

QUOTE(demitrius @ Nov 25 2009, 07:56 AM)
Clipper is such a tool
laugh.gif
Ah, I was waiting for a comment like this. You'll note that I never actually attacked the pirates in this fun little escapade, just the actions of said pirates. Feel free to continue the insults, though. Very enjoyable.

drizzt007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
drizzt007 said:
Try pushing 1 and tell HBC to load from the USB device. The files should be installed in the apps directory, just as if they were on the SD card. There's also a possibility that there is a drive incompatibility between HBC and your drive.

I tried pushing 1 when its on the HBC and still no go, it jus sits there.

if the hard drive works when I launch HBC from the Sd card , does that mean it should work?
its a comstar usb drive if that helps, any.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
drizzt007 said:

if the hard drive works when I launch HBC from the Sd card , does that mean it should work?
The 1 thing only works on recent versions of the HBC. If it does nothing when you push it, try upgrading.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
EeZeEpEe said:
Someone should change that FAQ then.
Read it again:
gwht said:
I have no clue how you can read that as "it works with 249 but not 222" which is pretty much the exact opposite of what it says. And I did change it after your initial post to indicate that rev15 is also OK now, but I'd still like to know how you misinterpreted the original.

So then Metroid Prime Trilogy should work on a FAT32 hard drive right? I guess the ISO I have isn't a good one.

Yes, it does work on FAT. I do have a suggestion to get it working too. Install the game from the original disc.
Yeah I totally misread that. I thought it said, "play MP3 with ISO249" some where in that sentence. lol. I figured an original disc is my best option. Thanks!
smile.gif

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
demitrius said:
Clipper is such a tool
laugh.gif
Ah, I was waiting for a comment like this. You'll note that I never actually attacked the pirates in this fun little escapade, just the actions of said pirates. Feel free to continue the insults, though. Very enjoyable.

Yeah, people can be a little more creative than "tool." Try to be clever, like "Dr. Clipper is the unique blend of 23 'insert expletives here'."

Sorry, I'm done, just noting how ridiculous this all is.

drizzt007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
drizzt007 said:

The 1 thing only works on recent versions of the HBC. If it does nothing when you push it, try upgrading.

I'm using hbc_dopios_v7 , is this still the latest version?

Joe903

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have successfully been using the USB CFG fir a little while but I havent been able to download or apply any cover art . How do you do this ?
I am pressing left and right on the d-pad , on the 'download cover' option and it does seemingly download artwork but it is not applied .......
angry.gif

Posts merged

Please help

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
oggzee said:
xflak40 said:
does anyone have any idea how to create a channel loader (preferably compatible with Wiicrazy's "CRAP") that can create game specific channels which load from a FAT32 formatted hard drive, but does not have a splash screen like the current loader?
In other words, do you have any ideas how to make channels that load .wbfs games from a FAT hard drive, but that go directly from a black screen to the game?
This is probably the only thing holding me back from converting my library to .wbfs format
thx!
At the moment it's not possible but i will probably make that possible in the next version.
I'm just not sure if that should be the default or a parameter that crap could pass to the loader...
Better default...or even better completely removed. IMHO.

Yes, i hate that splash screen. XD

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Skizzo said:
Well look Dr. Clipper, gbatemp.net clearly, without a fucking doubt, at least in part, caters to so-called pirates. Many mods/admins are clearly, without a fucking doubt, by their own admission, so-called pirates. So, if you want to get all sanctimonious, perhaps this isn't the place for it? I doubt the fucking manuals for the games that people may or may not buy answer any of the questions you get angry about so-called pirates asking repeatedly.
It also has some non-pirates, and I reserve my right to decide not to help pirates and proclaim why that is so. Are you seriously saying we shouldn't be allowed to voice our opinions on these issues just because there are pirates here? BTW, I'm not angry at these people, just frustrated with them, so I'll just throw out a backhanded comment every now and again to relieve the tension.

I actually find it quite amusing to get this sort of reaction too. It's always funny seeing people try to justify piracy.
What I find amusing is that given your broad definition of pirate, right or wrong, you seem to have included yourself amongst them. Which makes your rants all the more hilarious (not to mention sanctimonious).

And if my post was an attempt to justify piracy, I admit I failed miserably. Needless to say, it wasn't anything of the sort.

Loganzin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
God bless you my friend, for ages I've been trying to use USB loaders with no success whatsoever, with your guide tho, I'm running new super mario bros even from my pendrive, how awesome that is?

Thank you very, very much, and if I can add anything to you, on your tutorial (http://gwht.wikidot.com) in the usb loader part of it please add that if we use a fat32 partition the game must be in a folder called WBFS, that made me stumble for a while.

Thanks again very much!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg