Homebrew Collection of old devkitPro versions

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Whoops, sorry, my server's been down for a day or two due to a broken hard drive and I didn't see this thread.

The website is back up and everything's been restored from backup, so the website can be used again.
I don't know who operates that mirror webpage but if they're indeed just running that wget command on a cronjob then that mirror should contain everything my archive does, yeah.

Having a proper archive.org mirror might not be the worst idea. I'd have to look into how well this works when the data changes from time to time (when new devkitPro versions are released or someone sends me missing older ones).

Last edited by leseratte,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm mirroring the website to my laptop right now. that's a good idea. for safety reasons, I'll have access to them. they're going to go to two external hdds for now, so I'll up specific ones if someone needs 'em at some point for whatever reason:

1661225049044.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Wow
Reactions: SaulFabre

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there @leseratte, I have devkitARM r53-1, devkitPPC r35-2, libOGC 1.8.23-1 versions and these aren't on your archive.
Would you add them to the collection please?

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/j0juqb5vvd6z5/devkitPro_archives

Thanks for these.

devkitARM r53-1 and libogc 1.8.23-1 and devkitPPC r26 were already available in my archive (and are identical to the files you've sent me). I have added devkitPPC r35-2 for windows to my archive, that one was still missing.

cristian64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

For the last few days, @leseratte 's site has been down. Is this temporary?

Thanks for all the work. It's really shady that devkitPro stopped offering their binaries, forcing users towards Pacman repositories.

Last edited by cristian64,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

For the last few days, @leseratte 's site has been down. Is this temporary?

Thanks for all the work. It's really shady that devkitPro stopped offering their binaries, forcing users towards Pacman repositories.
There's a cloud clone, on another site. I don't have access to my pc to send a link, but I found it one day when the main branch was down

Reactions: cristian64

cristian64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After your hint, I found out that snapshots of the site are available on the Internet Archive. Last snapshot on the December 3, 2022 (20221203193630).

Hoping to see the original archive back, though!

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God bless you, my friend. Without access to older devkitA64 SaltyNX development would be dead because newer devkits even if compiles executable fine according to bash, game crashes. And try to fix that lol
I can tell they certainly don't give a damn about attempting to maintain compatibility, given how often so much stuff breaks, and their solution is "ask us and we'll help you migrate, unless we don't like your project, in which case we'll ban you".

What a shit show.
https://heyquark.com/brew/2020/07/13/leaving-devkitpro/
https://web.archive.org/web/2021121...er.com/cbrzeszczot/status/1429807422709936141

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell they certainly don't give a damn about attempting to maintain compatibility, given how often so much stuff breaks, and their solution is "ask us and we'll help you migrate, unless we don't like your project, in which case we'll ban you".

What a shit show.
https://heyquark.com/brew/2020/07/13/leaving-devkitpro/
https://web.archive.org/web/2021121...er.com/cbrzeszczot/status/1429807422709936141
I would agree with this. it's pretty damn frustrating when you try to compile something without instructions, and it fails due to the wrong version or it doesn't behave correctly even if it compiles.

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I believe it makes more sense to treat dkP as an "organization whose decisions can be annoying" (like Nintendo, Microsoft, etc), that's just also not-for-profit. They make a free toolchain, and help make crucial decisions in the homebrew ecosystem, but that doesn't mean they don't still have certain incentives.

Between the buildscripts and the releases, the dkP organization asserts there is enough to comply with GPL. So that's kind of the full story. Even if it didn't comply, there are no "lost damages" to sue them over, which seems like all that a copyright violation would amount to anyway (but I'm not a lawyer, etc).

Every for-profit organization I've ever been a part of is 100% hesitant to touch anything copyleft/open source due to fear of being sued, but it's a little different when your goal isn't to make money. If dkP defines the "value"/secret sauce of their organization as tagging these releases and deciding which binaries go where, I've come around to, we aren't necessarily "owed" the transparency behind this process.

Quark's post above is important, but it's more about the internals of how they run their org. At the end of the day, as long as we do have these archive collections or docker images, the problem of reproducible builds is not that bad. It's a community-originated desire that is also being solved by the community.

Viewing it like this, the way that the dkP org reacts "frustratingly" in certain scenarios (eg. the ones referenced in that tweet thread), is really more of a PR problem for them. I think there can exist a set of branding that would keep their role clear, but also not conflate it with the kind of open-source-transparency-mentality that "we" (devs/enthusiasts) are "expecting".

It feels like the "come talk with us" line on their site about updating old homebrew runs contradictory to this. Those chats can be quite "unfriendly"/confrontational to the uninitiated, and that's both unprofessional and poor "customer" service. If they just completely ignored mirrors and what people do with their tech, they would be much better off, PR-wise.

Ironically, that's kind of how Nintendo deals with the homebrew scene: just totally ignore it, and people can't come and get upset with you for what you haven't said. It seems odd to suggest that dkP should take this same approach to the "FOSS scene", but I think what's really being carved out here is a middle "tier" in between "official licensed Nintendo SDK" and full "free open source software", and that's where dkP's toolchains lie. Unofficial and free, but not all the way in the FOSS-ethos camp.

TLDR: Zen of devkitPro org interactions -> ignore any passive aggressive comments, keep calm and archive old versions (but still comply with their copyright, trademark, and GPL).

Although, that all being said, it might be more accurate for the page with these old toolchains to not directly refer to them under the trademarked organization name (kind of like IceWeasel vs Mozilla FireFox, OpenJDK vs Oracle JDK, or even Rocky Linux vs RHEL).

It's honest and historically accurate to present them as "old devkitPro tools", and just link to the buildscripts on Github as a source, but the phrasing should matter. The Rocky Linux site for example has no issues stating that the releases are 100% identical to RHEL releases, even with the same version numbers, but it does not claim that its downloads are "RHEL" itself.

This is a long winded and annoying final conclusion, but I would suggest to change the wording of "As the devkitPro software is [...]" to "As devkitPro's software is [...]" in the second paragraph, and also to remove "devkitPro" from the root folder name, so there's no confusion of endorsement. Maybe something like "/archive/", "/packages/", or some other generic name. A redirect could be added, so that old URLs are still valid.

The "source code" (aka dkP's Github repos) should also be periodically archived and hosted separately, in case dkP overwrites or takes down those GH repos, the entire collection would be at risk of a GPL violation (for reasons already talked about much earlier in this thread).

BUT those are all just my opinions and stuff. I've thought about these things for way too long trying to comply with dkP's practices, but I do think this is the best way to handle it. It is easy to see how at least avoid mentioning their org by name alongside old download URLs, and rehosting old sources as well, satisfies the language on this page ("devkitPro trademarks may not be used" and "you may not distribute GPL binaries without corresponding source code").

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between the buildscripts and the releases, the dkP organization asserts there is enough to comply with GPL. So that's kind of the full story. Even if it didn't comply, there are no "lost damages" to sue them over, which seems like all that a copyright violation would amount to anyway (but I'm not a lawyer, etc).
And I am asserting they violated the GPL by refusing to provide complete buildable source for versions that were distributed within a certain period. They can assert all they want, doesn't mean they're right. Doesn't mean I'm right either. Point being, take their claims with a grain of salt, and these archives are no less GPL compliant than dkP themselves were for that period.

When a FOSS project starts throwing out trademark claims or arbitrary stipulations about use left and right, that is the time to hard fork the project and move on.

you wouldn't pirate GCC.

But yes, I agree, it's best to just keep archiving and ignore their whining, even if the whining is in the form of a DMCA claim. I still can't believe they had the audacity to DMCA FIX94 of all people.

DacoTaco

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But yes, I agree, it's best to just keep archiving and ignore their whining, even if the whining is in the form of a DMCA claim. I still can't believe they had the audacity to DMCA FIX94 of all people.
i hard disagree.
their "whining" is correct and a hard fork is a stupid idea seeing how much work is put into the toolkits provided by devkitPRO.
they work their asses off, pay huge bills for hosting only to have hostile, problematic, forks and half arsed guides or help cause users to barrage them, who are doing this in their free time mind you, with issues of broken and not sane installation because of projects and behavior like this.

also: to this day, i have yet to see a project that does not have stupid or insane programming practices that breaks with updates of a mature devkitPRO library (unless its caused by nintendo's changes like with switch's controls scheme). things like retroarch including an ancient libogc version in their repo, projects using internal libogc functions or just doing stuff that are fragile af.
all of that would not be an issue had they used decent and sane code or not be from ~2 decades back when libogc wasn't mature.
and im not saying the libraries provided by devkitPRO are perfect, far from. (libogc is in the bad shape, but libnx is lovely).
its because they are fixing said issues that sometimes, yes, things will break. but everyone benefits from said fixes if developers, or whomever is compiling, would update the code.

as for your statement of "they don't give a damn about maintaining compatibility", then you have NO idea how they work and what decisions they make and are blinded by your own hate/anger. as a maintainer of libogc and being in close contact with them i can tell you they most certainly do care or else libogc would look completely different now and not be as shitty as it is. but that breaks compatibility, so we dont do that (same with libnds & libgba)

It feels like the "come talk with us" line on their site about updating old homebrew runs contradictory to this. Those chats can be quite "unfriendly"/confrontational to the uninitiated, and that's both unprofessional and poor "customer" service. If they just completely ignored mirrors and what people do with their tech, they would be much better off, PR-wise.
this is true, and will always be true.
they would rather have homebrew be updated for latest tools (and therefor get clean, good code) but it all depends on who you end up talking to and what your experience in coding is. i know wintermute can sound hostile, and i can only say that you don't know what has pushed him to be like that and what kind of shitty code & setups they get to look at. this is a topic on its own, and this might not be the best place for that.

i would love to help people to update their wii/gc code and im sure i would be friendly chat, so keep in mind that who you talk to is more important than "the whole organization" (which is a lot more people than you'd think). a few "sour" apples, a community does not ruin (i mean, look at this shithole of a forum/website. most users would say this isn't a shithole. not me, but some users)

also, they kinda can't ignore the mirrors, seeing how much problems it gives them. be it bills and traffic control or people copy pasting bad code from some random place and then publicly saying its all broken because they copied bad code from some random mirror/fork/project. Things are a lot more complex than that, sadly.

i could go on and on about the inner workings of devkitPRO, and its problems, but thats kinda out of scope here and i'd love to have a decent convo about it, if youre open to it and start the convo to have a meaningful convo instead of just bashing.

Last edited by DacoTaco,
Reactions: vgmoose and XFlak

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
as for your statement of "they don't give a damn about maintaining compatibility", then you have NO idea how they work and what decisions they make and are blinded by your own hate/anger. as a maintainer of libogc and being in close contact with them i can tell you they most certainly do care or else libogc would look completely different now and not be as shitty as it is. but that breaks compatibility, so we dont do that (same with libnds & libgba)
Why not make a new "libogc" as a separate project? There's already precedent with libgba & libtonc.

DacoTaco

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why not make a new "libogc" as a separate project? There's already precedent with libgba & libtonc.
its a legit idea they threw around at one point. didn't do it yet because of the already fractured state of gc/wii dev.
and for that to actually be done decently, the other libs would need to be pulled out of libogc first. a fun job that is on my very long todo list (between work, priiloader, starstruck and other projects i have little time lol)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol