Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
netspy said:
Can someone try playing DLC from SD card with Guitar Hero : Warriors Of Rock ?
I tried to play "Bad Reputation" (from Band Hero import) from my SDHC card, using cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix], and I encountered a strange lag in the middle of the song (as if the image was frozen for half a second, and then as if the missing images had been skipped). I played the song once again just after that, and once again, I had this issue.
I switched back to cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v19] to see if it made any difference -> No problem.
I switched back again to cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix] -> NO PROBLEM!

Strange ... Now I can't reproduce the issue. If someone could try to play some DLC songs with GH:WoR and tell us if they notice anything, it would be fine. I really hope it's a false alarm (I guess it is, but I'd like to be sure).
Yes with cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix the stutters have come back but they are & always were random (which is why I always used to use Hermes 223 for Cfg & guitar games). Didn't have this problem with the first cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v19]. I had to move to cIOS249 from 223 to get the DLC to work with my SD card but that's another story.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
tueidj said:
The code for rev19 is just plain wrong, the restart_timer syscall is meant to have 3 arguments instead of 2. From a quick look at it I would say it doesn't work properly at all and you would see the same "improvements" simply by disabling the spindown watchdog, like somebody else already did.
So is there a problem with the modified EHCI module being shared here: http://gbatemp.net/t263019-waninkoko-s-cio...t&p=3418742

Or is davebaol's EHCI mod not subject to the same errors from rev19 described above?

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@xflak (or somebody else)

Could you explain something (i'm afraid this is a newby question but i forgot)?
If i look at the wads in showmiiwads, i noticed that ios249 shows version 21 and ios250 shows version 65355.
So what is the reason again for this?
And if i change the IOS in showmiiwads, because i want to install the wad to slot 251, should i change 250 or 249, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks in advance.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys, why are you so insistent?
What do you fear?
I know you're eager to put your hands on the source and, as I said before, I'm not against it.
But please try to understand I have a private life out of here. Ok?

And now back on topic.

Actually I'm not really convinced about the new argument, namely dummy, added to the syscall os_restart_timer in rev20.

I've studied (well, I'm still studying) hermes cios v5.1 and the same syscall has just 2 arguments like waninkoko cios rev19.

Also in my previous post I forgot to mention that syscalls.h and loop.c are not exactly the same as those in official rev21 (remember source code was at home while I was at work, so forgive me for this accidental omission).
The difference only affects the definition (in syscalls.h) and the invocation (2 occurrences in loop.c) of os_restart_timer.

In fact using the 3 arguments syscall both gx v2.0 and cfg v63 freeze on start up before showing the game list, while using the 2 arguments syscall everything works.

However building and installing the untouched rev21 (I mean the head of git repository witout any change) both usbloader start up with no problem but obviously the lag issue is back.

Clearly I'm missing something, but yesterday it was late in the night when I released the patch and today I haven't had the time to investigate further.

Anyway guys, here is the source for the patched files

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you read carefully, I never asked you for it. I only pointed out that you were obligated to provide it and that I couldn't answer XFlak's question. So don't say that I "insisted" when I did nothing of the sort.

It's no surprise waninkoko's code is the same as Hermes', it's where he copied most things from.
I know for sure the restart_timer syscall takes three arguments because I've looked at the code for it in IOS. The first argument is the timer id, second argument is the initial period and third argument is the repeat period (times are in microseconds). If it makes the warez loaders freeze you're probably using the wrong values.

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Alright, to further confirm, I have played RB3 with DLC on a SDHC card for about 2.5 hours and no lag or anything strange.

I might go now and test out GH.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Etheboss said:
@xflak (or somebody else)

Could you explain something (i'm afraid this is a newby question but i forgot)?
If i look at the wads in showmiiwads, i noticed that ios249 shows version 21 and ios250 shows version 65355.
So what is the reason again for this?
And if i change the IOS in showmiiwads, because i want to install the wad to slot 251, should i change 250 or 249, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks in advance.
no reason really, ModMii just replicates wanin's official installer as closely as possible. And he's always had cIOSs installed to slot 249 be the same version as the cIOS, and he's always had cIOSs installed to slot 250 maxxed out at 65535. From rev 9 up until rev17 wanin's installer only installed to slot 249 and always silently make a backup to slot 250 at version 65535 (version #s maxxed out to survive official updates)

It really doesn't matter which one u use in showmiiwads, and FYI, u can change the slot number and version numbers easily using ModMii's advanced downloads page, so u don't even need to do anything with showmiiwads if u would rather do everything in 1 shot

@justmike,
are u using the cIOS with the rev19 EHCI module or the rev21-lagfix-ehci module??

@davebaol,
didn't mean to rush u to release the source, I would tell u to take your time but you already released it! Thx dude!

@tueidj,
I doubt u'll even bother with this, but since u can probably improve the ehci module in your sleep, u want to take a crack at it? Either way, thx for the tips, hopefully some1 puts them to good use if it turns out your too busy to do it yourself

strapsoz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have tested about 20 games, playing about 5 minutes of each using the custom module from davebaol with base 56 and base 57 (cod:bo). No issues, no lag. Will do more testing

Thanks for all the time and effort that you guys have put in. Im sure many people have this lag issue without even knowing it.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Download ModMii 4.4.6B-BETA HERE

20farfr.png

This is a special test version of ModMii for people experiencing controller lags with rev21 cIOSs

This BETA version of ModMii can build the following cIOSs (using davebaol's mod of waninkoko's rev21 EHCI module) for testing from Download page 4:
  • cIOS249[37]-v21[LagFix].wad
  • cIOS249[38]-v21[LagFix].wad
  • cIOS249[56]-v21[LagFix].wad
  • cIOS249[57]-v21[LagFix].wad
Enjoy!

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
XFlak said:
@justmike,
are u using the cIOS with the rev19 EHCI module or the rev21-lagfix-ehci module??

I installed this: cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v19].

So, rev19 EHCI module.

What's the difference? cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix]?

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@tueidj
Actually it's just the way you pointed it out in your 2 previous posts that I found irritating. LOL
I've always been willing to share the source code, I just asked everybody to be patient since I hadn't the source at hand.

Anyway debating about that is pretty much pointless, I prefer to talk about the code and how to improve it, if needed.

@XFlak
I know, man. I was not referring to you.
And thanks for the new beta version of ModMii.

EDIT:

@justmike
The difference between cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v19] and cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix] is explained in the 1st post of this thread.

@netspy
Please update the 1st post:
  • add the Western Digital Elements SE 2,5" 1TB to the list of HDD with controller lag issue
  • link ModMii 4.4.6B-BETA
Thanks

xabby666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
there is another call to Timer_Init function in the mload module of r21 that is affected with the same bug of the ehci module (In timer.c there is the same code that causes the lag issues). If you want you can correct this with the same criteria used for ehci module.

netspy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@davebaol: Done, thank you! (thanks XFlak!).

@xabby666: Thanks for this info. Could it be the explanation for this :
sock99 said:
netspy said:
Can someone try playing DLC from SD card with Guitar Hero : Warriors Of Rock ?
I tried to play "Bad Reputation" (from Band Hero import) from my SDHC card, using cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix], and I encountered a strange lag in the middle of the song (as if the image was frozen for half a second, and then as if the missing images had been skipped). I played the song once again just after that, and once again, I had this issue.
I switched back to cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v19] to see if it made any difference -> No problem.
I switched back again to cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix] -> NO PROBLEM!

Strange ... Now I can't reproduce the issue. If someone could try to play some DLC songs with GH:WoR and tell us if they notice anything, it would be fine. I really hope it's a false alarm (I guess it is, but I'd like to be sure).
Yes with cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v21-LagFix the stutters have come back but they are & always were random (which is why I always used to use Hermes 223 for Cfg & guitar games). Didn't have this problem with the first cIOS249[56]-v21[EHCI-v19]. I had to move to cIOS249 from 223 to get the DLC to work with my SD card but that's another story.
?

xabby666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here the sources changed to solve the issue (Is an issue?). I've not tried this because i'm at work now. And i'm not sure this is a problem, because mload don't use watchdog calls and calls only timer_init function. So...

EDIT: i've reposted the sources for an error to previous post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    cearp @ cearp: still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm