Hacking cios 38 rev 17 is out

Muyfa666

Trophies
XP
Country
Does this new bug only affect the dumping of a disc or also if you are trying to play a already dumped disc?

mkasick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a said:
So it corrupts the last part of the second layer?
Appears so.

WiiPower said:
That's the problem here. Wii discs have a "data-hole" in the middle of the disc, and the actual data is written at the end.
That's not quite the case, is it?

Looking at the partitions of the discs I own in wit, I see that the partitioning is very regular. There's an update partition at the beginning of the disc, that's approximately the size of the update. There's a game partition at 248 MB in that's usually 4220 MB for SL discs, and an optional third channel partition. In particular though, in every disc I've seen the last 14 MB exists as unused space outside any partition. So in practice, this bug shouldn't affect anything as the corrupted data exists outside of any useful disc region.

I suppose new DL games could come out that use the entire space. I suspect though that the regular format of the partition table is due to specification, and Nintendo wouldn't license games that exceeded these limits.

fogbank said:
Do you have a modchip?
No, it's a vanilla boot2-vulnerable softmod wii. Good point though, I should've noted that.

QUOTE(Muyfa666 @ Jan 20 2010, 12:04 PM)
Does this new bug only affect the dumping of a disc or also if you are trying to play a already dumped disc?
As far as I know, it only affects the dumping of DL discs, not playing. Furthermore, it only affects the dumps in the sense that corrupted, unused sectors would result in checksum mismatches against published databases (e.g., Redump). That only matters if you're trying to verify that your dump is correct in parts of the disc that are important.

In other words, this is similar in effect to the rev 14 DL bug on SL discs. Would generate bad dumps in a technical sense, but worked just fine for all practical purposes.

Muyfa666

Trophies
XP
Country
mkasick said:
da_letter_a said:
So it corrupts the last part of the second layer?
Appears so.

WiiPower said:
That's the problem here. Wii discs have a "data-hole" in the middle of the disc, and the actual data is written at the end.
That's not quite the case, is it?

Looking at the partitions of the discs I own in wit, I see that the partitioning is very regular. There's an update partition at the beginning of the disc, that's approximately the size of the update. There's a game partition at 248 MB in that's usually 4220 MB for SL discs, and an optional third channel partition. In particular though, in every disc I've seen the last 14 MB exists as unused space outside any partition. So in practice, this bug shouldn't affect anything as the corrupted data exists outside of any useful disc region.

I suppose new DL games could come out that use the entire space. I suspect though that the regular format of the partition table is due to specification, and Nintendo wouldn't license games that exceeded these limits.

fogbank said:
Do you have a modchip?
No, it's a vanilla boot2-vulnerable softmod wii. Good point though, I should've noted that.

QUOTE(Muyfa666 @ Jan 20 2010, 12:04 PM)
As far as I know, it only affects the dumping of DL discs, not playing. Furthermore, it only affects the dumps in the sense that corrupted, unused sectors would result in checksum mismatches against published databases (e.g., Redump). That only matters if you're trying to verify that your dump is correct in parts of the disc that are important.

In other words, this is similar in effect to the rev 14 DL bug on SL discs. Would generate bad dumps in a technical sense, but worked just fine for all practical purposes.

So for us end-users it's not really an issue? Guess that's ok for most ppl.

leoszt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
awsome8 said:
this new rev fixes brawl so now you can beat all-star and classic mode without it saying "an error has occured. please eject the disc and restart the wii"

Actually It doesn't for everybody. (or I am stupid).

rev17 worked fine on every game I have, excluding SSBB.

The strangest thing is that rev17 could run it, but only in my third attempt (the one I did just for writing down the error number, which was 1048).

In this third try, the game did actually run, but the loading took a lot more to happen and the wii kept doing sounds that I had never heard before (coming from it). This noises kept going on during the whole gameplay and menus, like if it was being pushed to its limits.
(kind of scary)

When I tried to play 'adventure mode' it freezed.

Any leads?

PS: wii moded using xzxero's tutorial ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 ).
did everything in there for disc loading, except for the cIOScorp

ysuki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leoszt said:
In this third try, the game did actually run, but the loading took a lot more to happen and the Wii kept doing sounds that I had never heard before (coming from it). This noises kept going on during the whole gameplay and menus, like if it was being pushed to its limits.
(kind of scary)
This is not related to rev 17 since I'm currently using rev 14 but I wanted to comment on the DVD drive noise with a mod chip (Wasabi DX in Zero mode so 6X read speed). I've tried a MP:Trilogy backup and it is also making a lot of noise. It took awhile for the Wii to recognize the disc as well. I kept getting "Unable to detect disc" until a few minutes later. The drive sounds like it is being overworked like what you said. When I played my SSBB legit disc, it sort of makes the described sound but not quite as often and not as loud. Normally I would hear the dvd drive making noises for loading a stage or cutscene. I am comparing between two different games of a backup and legit disc. The best way for me to test the DVD noise is also getting a backup copy of SSBB and test it against a legit disc. I can't make any tests as of now because I need to obtain a backup copy of SSBB and retrieve the legit disc from my cousin. I would be glad to do more additional testing if you want but I won't have a specific time frame to report the DVD noise results.

Short version of this paragraph:
DVD Drive noise comparison between a legit disc and a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc (in a 6x read speed mod chip)
DVD+R DL bitset to DVD-ROM for MPT: Loud DVD drive noises. Noise occurs quite often.
Original SSBB disc: Makes DVD drive noises during loading of stages and cutscenes but the noise does not seem as loud.
May possibly test the noise of an original SSBB disc versus a backup copy to see if it is a DVD+R DL disc issue.

leoszt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm looking forward for testing too man.

Will get a original SSBB asap with a friend and test. But I did play SSBB before and as I recall, It didn't make so much noises.

A good step for testing, is trying to load the original SSBB through Neogamma e see what happens, thus we will have rev 17 tested with a backup and a original DL media.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to make a custom channel for NSMB using Crap. You can start the game using the built-in loaders, but the game eventually bombs out with an error screen after playing for a while. Is this a BCA issue?

panterafrk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im new to this whole thing im wondering is this safe to install on a 4.0u wii and how hard would it be for me to do this, thanks in advance for helping me with my issue

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
panterafrk said:
im new to this whole thing im wondering is this safe to install on a 4.0u wii and how hard would it be for me to do this, thanks in advance for helping me with my issue

If you are new to this then you have a LOT of reading and searching to do first...

Start here

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

And use the search button for any questions you have as 99% of them would have been answered at least 10 times.

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
panterafrk said:

You install it like any other cIOS and it is perfectly safe to install.

hobogoonie

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone, could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have a Wii on 4.2, Modchip installed and softmodded. I believe I'm on rev13 installed on 249. I am trying to upgrade to this new rev 17 but not exactly how to install it. I've attempted to use the .dol from the installer on page 1 of this thread with WM1.5, select 249, SD, install wad and it gives me an error -4100? Thanks in advance for any help.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hobogoonie said:
Hi everyone, could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have a Wii on 4.2, Modchip installed and softmodded. I believe I'm on rev13 installed on 249. I am trying to upgrade to this new rev 17 but not exactly how to install it. I've attempted to use the .dol from the installer on page 1 of this thread with WM1.5, select 249, SD, install wad and it gives me an error -4100? Thanks in advance for any help.

Put it in a folder in the apps folder of your SD card and rename boot.dol. Run the dol through the HBC.

hobogoonie

Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
hobogoonie said:

Put it in a folder in the apps folder of your SD card and rename boot.dol. Run the dol through the HBC.

Worked a treat. Thankyou very much
smile.gif

mkasick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a:

I tried responding to your PM, but your inbox is full. In short, "yes it works correctly." Feel free to PM me your email (or clear your inbox a bit) if you want to discuss it further.

(Sorry about the noise folks, I assure you it actually is relevant to the topic at hand.)

mkasick said:
Anyways, I believe that rev 17 is still suffering from a DL bug, although not as bad as previously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1