SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
It's just various flavours of Linux, really. Google didn't re-invent the wheel. Android, Chromium, Chrome, they all have roots in Unix.

Android is obviously welcome on portable devices, since the complicated kernel it offers allows a whole lot of "magic".

Chrome and Chromium on the other hand feel like a really "stripped" version of the same experiance, and I'd much rather choose Ubuntu or something of that flavour rather than these... things.
Then it isn't aimed at you
tongue.gif

Personally, I probably wouldn't want this at this point in time. Maybe someday in the future when web apps can properly replace desktop apps. For now though, I intend to get install Chrome(/Chromium) OS on a bootable USB drive for firing up when I need quick internet access. If I were to have it installed full time, I'd need another OS installed as well for when I wasn't just wanting the internet (which realistically wouldn't be all that often I reckon).

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really into this... For business purposes as in browsing the web, eMail, shopping, stuff like that, it's perfect, but to people like 99% of us here, that's a bit too limited, plus, no hard drive?? How would that work exactly, what about %temp% files and folders, cache, etc.? Maybe flash memory.

The Student Edition of Windows XP and Ubuntu (Both on my netbook, XP primarily) are just fine.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
TheDestroyer said:
I'll be getting this one..
smile.gif
NO MORE REFORMAT.. xD OR WAIT? WHERE"S MY EFFING FILE?!?@ its all on the web..
smile.gif
internet everywhere ftw..

Sure. We're progressing from ATA to SATA, from SATA II throught III to Solid State Drives just to lower our read/write speed to the connection speed, bottlenecking everything we've worked for throughout the last years of hard drive development.

Yesss, that 1-3Mbit/s read/write speed is EXACTLY what I need.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
aguyyyy said:
What can you do with it if you DON'T have internet?
blink.gif

The internet is supposed to be a tool to be utilized by the hardware, not the other way around. Stripping a device of essential hardware doesn't make it more advanced, it's a regression.

Without a hard drive in place, you won't be able to experiance the internet to it's fullest anyways. What about downloadable content, professional software, video games? Y'know - everything a randomly selected netbook CAN do and this one can't?

If you're willing to limit yourself to the utilities that Google gives you in the package and ones that are web-based - fine. Just don't expect too many people to make that step with you.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wizerzak said:
pyrmon24 said:
Meh. My Ubuntu netbook does all of that AND has a HDD. So no ChromeOS for me.

starts in 5 seconds from complete shut down?
Honestly, waiting 10-15 more seconds for my machine to boot doesn't bother me and really shouldn't bother anyone in their sane minds. Besides, my netbbok is always in sleep mode, so I have pretty quick access to it in any time. Oh, and did I mention my netbook isn't rendered completely useless in a situation with no internet connection, such as in a plane?
Don't get me wrong, I like the core concept, but we simply aren't ready for it in the current state of things.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aguyyyy said:
What can you do with it if you DON'T have internet?
blink.gif

well there are offline html apps that would work

Foxi4 said:
QUOTE(aguyyyy @ May 12 2011, 01:10 AM) What can you do with it if you DON'T have internet?
blink.gif

The internet is supposed to be a tool to be utilized by the hardware, not the other way around. Stripping a device of essential hardware doesn't make it more advanced, it's a regression.

Without a hard drive in place, you won't be able to experiance the internet to it's fullest anyways. What about downloadable content, professional software, video games? Y'know - everything a randomly selected netbook CAN do and this one can't?

If you're willing to limit yourself to the utilities that Google gives you in the package and ones that are web-based - fine. Just don't expect too many people to make that step with you.
dude, this isn't a powerhouse laptop, this is a chromebook, for casual internet browsing and media consumption, and netbooks suck at multitasking, videogames, and professional work (due to screen real estate), people don't buy netbooks to do that, they buy them for... the net

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want this so bad. It's a great idea that won't fail like that one from Oracle. Honestly, I don't like carrying my Craptop everywhere. I also like writing on the go, and the most I play on the internet is Runescape. I hear it's going to have a dedicated client for it. So, I'll have my games and fun computer at home, and a time fly out the window CromeOSBook for the other places. Also, it's going to be sooo cheap. I think 20 bucks a month until the computer is paid for, then all you have to pay for is the 3G, or not if you have many places for dedicated Wi-Fi.

D

Deleted-220713

Really looking forward to this.
Hopefully I'll have a laptop by the time it's released.

Btw. I lol'd at the video, I love Google's sense of humor.
smile.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So then, the network is the computer!!11! What an original idea, I've never heard that before. The idea hasn't being floating around since ENQUIRE and HyperCard...

I can see things like this having there space, but not until the subscriptions include unlimited bandwidth. Also a Tablet/Slate pc would have probably being a better option.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
This might help A LOT for my education purposes. I can easily use this for research, haha. ^^

Although i must say chromebooks are not as portable as iPads, i'm sure they're speedier.

Plus, at $400+, this baby is a real bargain.
smile.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Suppose you need to put some files on a memory stick and then take them into work on a word document?

Then what?

You export to an ODF format that Word will (well should) also support. At least importing.

And you still use MS Office at work?

EDIT: And there's no reason to presume there won't be an export to Word plugin for the local version of googles wp anyhows. And if not someone will build a site with one quite soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*