Chrome OS coming this summer, named Chromebook

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, May 11, 2011.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    of course, it always comes with a classy youtube video, this is google after all
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVqe8ieqz10[/youtube]​
    Google's releasing their Chrome OS-clad netbooks, called "Chromebooks", this summer, and they're bringing a few new features to the platform. The new Chromebooks will have a better file browser, a new media player, and offline access for Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs.
    Here's how some of the new features will work:

The New File Manager
    The new File manager will open files in the correct webapp when you double-click on them. When a webapp is "installed" through the Chrome Web Store, it registers file types that it handles so your Chromebook knows how to open them.

File Handlers Bridge the Gap Between Local and the Web
    Certain file types have other contextual options. If you plug in an SD card full of photos, for example, it'll show up in your file manager, and you can do things like play a slideshow or send them straight to your Picasa web albums. It will work similarly for sending documents to Google Docs, or even with third-party applications like Box.net.

The Local Media Player

The new media player can skip tracks, pause, and create playlists. The video player opens videos in a panel that hovers over your Chrome window, so you can watch and work at the same time. You can, of course, full screen it if you're just watching.

Offline Webapps

Lastly, Google will soon be adding Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs to the plethora of webapps on the Web Store that work offline (in the wake of Google Gears' death).

The new Chromebooks will be available in June, while offline access for Gmail, Calendar, and Docs will roll out "this summer". Oh, and they'll also be "jailbreakable" out of the box for tinkerers.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Lifehacker)

Update:
    Google's currently in the process of detailing Chrome OS' latest improvements and there are a couple of big 'uns: Netflix and Hulu support will be available right out of the box for the pair of new Chromebooks -- one from Samsung and one from Acer. An improved file manager has also been added to the upcoming version of Chrome OS, plus offline versions of Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs -- all will be made available for Chromebook users this summer.

Far more monumental, Google's also just announced the cost of these Chromebooks and there's no upfront payment to speak of. Instead, Chrome OS laptops will be distributed on the basis of a recurring monthly subscription, which will cost $28 per user for businesses and $20 per user for schools. That includes regular software and hardware upgrades. Hardware as a service, folks![/p]

the 2 chromebooks announced
    Source (Engadget)

Update 2: more clarification on the subscriptions

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Chrome and Chromium OS are downloadable as it is.

As for the laptop - massive fail.

A laptop with no hard drive in it is a really *stupid* idea - whoever thought "y'know what all those laptops have that we should get rid of? HARD DRIVES!" should be punished.

3. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    so no playing locally installed games? no steam?! [​IMG] please tell me there's a 'normal laptop' mode....

@Foxi4, on the plus side, at least they should be quite cheap.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Okay... It looks like Google is getting WAY ahead of itself. People aren't accustomed to the internet yet; It makes sense to some, but not to most others.

I still wonder just how cheap it'll be. Sounds really interesting.

5. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    it's not about removing the harddrive, or any other component really, it's about focusing solely on the INTERNET and only that, it's basically a small, casual netbook that you can carry around with some sort of wireless data (wifi, 3g, maybe 4g)

they basically replace the netbook with a much more compelling option, honestly, do you think you're going to be playing any non-browser based games from a netbook?

there are tons of online services that can sufficiently replace the old, standard methods of storage, image viewing, music, video, etc.

also, these chromebooks will operate a hell of a lot better than any netbook ever did, and it boots in around 5 seconds, you can just pull it out of your small bag, check something up, and put it back within 30 seconds

Edit: this is not made to replace laptops, it's just something small that you can carry around with you everywhere when you need more than just your smart phone

6. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    well google is gonna help us with that and won't throw a bitchfit like Sony but that seems to be the only good part of these laptops

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    At first I was for this, now I am like :\ I don't like not having a hard drive, nor do I want all my stuff saved to the internet.
    Also I love having a desktop!

8. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I'd rather have a hard drive too.

9. Wizerzak

United Kingdom
    I was hoping to install the OS on an average laptop instead of ubuntu, but now i know it can't run any local programs (not just games, things like photoshop too) i might not bother.

10. ZaeZae64

Member ZaeZae64 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    A Laptop with only the internet?
    Who would want this? Honestly.

11. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The whole point of carrying netbooks around is having a laptop that's tiny, light and doesn't consume alot of battery life.

Having a Chromebook automatically means that you'll have to either carry another netbook/laptop computer to work with your files or have an external storage device attached to it at all times.

This isn't an acceptable shortage, this isn't a "feature", this is just a "flaw".

Moreover, I've seen Netbooks powerful enough to pull off Lineage 2 or World of Warcraft, I can't see why using "large" applications on a smaller device is silly.

The idea of creating a device of this type is to make it as efficient and useful as possible. Carrying around 20 gadgets, each for a different purpose, is a long forgotten concept. Devices nowadays are targeted towards multi-purposeness, not specified use.

If I wanted to use the internet on a device that has low internal memory or no internal memory at all, I'd just use my smartphone. Oh, wait. Smartphones happen to have ALOT of internal memory nowadays.

12. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    a netbook with only the internet and integrated webapps

once again, this is not a laptop replacement, this will appeal the the market that bought/was thinking about buying netbooks, most people here probably do more heavy computing tasks and games etc, but the average consumer mostly uses just the internet, things like facebook, youtube, just casual computer users

13. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Chrome OS is probably going to be a OS for bloggers and on the go secretary/personal assistants.

14. Wizerzak

United Kingdom

I agree, this it what thought it would be. But i presumed you'd at least be able to install stuff locally and have at least a BIT of internal storage; otherwise the 20 seconds you saved in the boot up time will be irrelevant compared to the time to download a 15MB powerpoint and a few pictures.

15. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    your files are in the cloud, and you can access them anytime with wireless data, be it from 3g or wifi

are casual users riding the train playing lineage 2? they're checking their email, talking to people, or just listening to music, watching videos, or playing some casual games

the internet is multi-purpose, you can use it millions of different ways, for tons of different tasks

do you do everyday internet browsing on your smartphone? you must love the 4-inch displays on those things

Edit: to wizz

pictures would be loaded very fast, it's not like you're downloading an archive, and downloading a powerpoint isn't exactly that common

16. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I'm not convinced that people will rely on the web so easily, especially after the recent Sony servers hacking. Data is *not* safe on the internet. In all factuality, it's less safe than it'd be on a drive filled with malware.

17. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    btw i think Tablets will win over Google os

18. Terminator02
    OP

United States

19. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    It's just various flavours of Linux, really. Google didn't re-invent the wheel. Android, Chromium, Chrome, they all have roots in Unix.

Android is obviously welcome on portable devices, since the complicated kernel it offers allows a whole lot of "magic".

Chrome and Chromium on the other hand feel like a really "stripped" version of the same experiance, and I'd much rather choose Ubuntu or something of that flavour rather than these... things.

20. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    What does it mean "jailbreakable"? Does it just mean that like the Cr-48 there is a "dev mode" switch allowing terminal access?