Hacking Cheapest way to play Gba games on Ds with Acecard2i?

spardasieg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw that, this scared me away: "Yeah, it has memory for holding and playing GBA ROMs and while it will play them, it will not save games. The Pokemon games are unplayable, Mother 3 is unplayable and basically all the games you want it to play will have save issues."

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The person that wrote that review doesn't know how to use the cart properly.

For large games like Mother 3 and other troublesome ones, you have to flash them to NOR first (not simply launch them from the menu like any other game), and from his game save patching issues it sounds like he Did It Wrong™.

spardasieg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will both Metroid games work? Honestly I lost my carts and after playing Other M I am craving em.

Also it loads the games onto this cart or my acecard?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK both of those games work.
The only games that don't would be games that rely on a real-time clock, since this cart doesn't have a physical clock in it (no carts being produced now have one, IIRC).
The way it works is you keep the GBA roms on your acekard, and when you choose to run one it'll automatically send it to the GBA cart, then run it from there.

You can also flash to NOR, which is needed for a few games, but also gives the benefit that once a game is flashed to NOR, the cart will work in a standard GBA like the real cart would... but you can only have one game flashed to NOR at the same time.

I think I got it right. Idunno', I don't own one and I'm tired, I'm just repeating what I'm reading of the manuals and guides... which I highly recommend.

spardasieg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much!
yay.gif

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
"Yeah, it has memory for holding and playing GBA ROMs and while it will play them, it will not save games. The Pokemon games are unplayable, Mother 3 is unplayable and basically all the games you want it to play will have save issues."
First counterpoint: While it doesn't save games on its own, the launcher in the Acekard 2i will. It copies down your last SAV to the 3-in-1 and when you restart your DS it will copy the updated SAV to the Acekard 2i.

As for the Pokemon games, it depends on which ones. There are patches for most of them. Some patches involve the built-in clock of the later games, which will affect time of day pokemon. Hunt around and you'll find plenty of patches.

In the past, I've run the Mother 3 translation in the EZ 3-in-1 on my CycloDS. I just had to tell it to use the NOR Flash. I don't recall if the SAVs worked as I never went that far.

I just tested it on my AK2i running AKAIO 1.7.2 Beta 4 (should behave the same as 1.7.1) and it loaded it up fine into the NOR (but it does take a long time as NOR Flash has to be erased and then flashed). Unfortunately, this test failed. When I ran it the second time, it said the SAV was corrupt.

I just tried GBA Exploader 0.58b and it does work without corrupting the SAV. You can also copy the SAV from the 3in1 to your AK2i. But it wasn't perfect every time. I would say that it locked up while trying to load or start the game 2 out of 3 times.

Lastly, I tried it using the built in GBA Emulator (doesn't use the 3in1) in the DS Two and it worked flawlessly. The emulator even has multiple SAV slots. The game appeared to be a touch choppy compared to running it in the 3in1, although when I changed the frame skip rate to 0, it looked much better.

Overall, I would say the mest solution for running Mother 3 is the DSTwo. I do know that Pokemon games require the same patches to run on the emulator, but many users on the DSTwo forums have reported success.

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have an Acekard 2.1 with an EZ Flash 3in1 and Mother 3 works perfectly for me. Just remember, your save will be lost if you do not turn on your Acekard after saving and turning off a GBA game. I just figured this out after losing a couple saves in Mother 3. I realized that when you boot the Acekard 2.1 it transfers the saves, otherwise the save will be deleted in the EZ Flash because it only holds it temporarily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk