Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm being lazy right now, but I've been tussling with this thing since this morning. I can show her how to boot into signature patch mode. Even PastaCFW allows me to do that. What I'd like is to have homebrew on the actual N3DS so she can boot into it without needing a cartridge and then boot into patched mode to play her games. Thanks again quantum - you're mad patient.
I think you are mixing up what homebrew is. Homebrew is launched through Ninjhax (or can be run as a unsigned CIA if converted and installed).

The only thing you can launch right from booting up is legit CIAs. Everything else will not have valid signatures and hence you will need to be in sig-patched mode before you can run it.

You won't need to have a cartridgeif you install MSET and then stay away from DS games. All she will have to do is go to Settings, Other Settings, Profile, DS Profile of she ever turns off her 3DS and turns it back on again (if she leaves it turned on then she won't even need to do this).

Reactions: kontrolaltdelete

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that. What I'm trying to accomplish is only possible through homebrew - running a free CFW (CakeFW or Pasta). So what I'd like to accomplish at this point is run homebrew without having the physical cartridge in the N3DS on Ninjhax 1.1 while my 3DS is on 9.0. So homebrew-->CFW-->run CIA (legit or not depending on her game cartridges)-->all without having to tote around any 3DS games. So she sticks it in her purse while waiting in between classes, pulls it out, and can play her small library of games.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I get that. What I'm trying to accomplish is only possible through homebrew - running a free CFW (CakeFW or Pasta). So what I'd like to accomplish at this point is run homebrew without having the physical cartridge in the N3DS on Ninjhax 1.1 while my 3DS is on 9.0. So homebrew-->CFW-->run CIA (legit or not depending on her game cartridges)-->all without having to tote around any 3DS games. So she sticks it in her purse while waiting in between classes, pulls it out, and can play her small library of games.
Homebrew has absolutely zero to do with CFWs. You need to do some more reading. I don't think I (or anyone else) can help you until you get your knowledge level a bit higher. Try reading all the stickies. Don't want to be rude sorry :-)

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think the problem here is just semantics. The use of "homebrew" word isn't the same for both.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Basically....

Mset (not homebrew, it's simply an entrypoint to boot other stuff) -> only need DS flashcart the first time to install exploit, unless it gets removed later for some reason

CFW (can be sig patched or not) -> can run only legit CIAs if not sig patched or can run all CIAs if sig patched. Can be easily accessed through an entrypoint like Mset for most popular CFWs.

Homebrew -> apps or games created as a hobby and that don't require kernel access to be run. Can obviously be run inside a CFW but can also be run simply by using simple ways such as Ninjhax/Ironhax/Tubehax.

CIAs (archive format. can contain apps, games, etc) -> are installed in the SD card of the console (games/apps for the most part) or to the system of the console (firmwares only for the most part). Can only be installed using a CFW (GW is a CFW too except it uses flashcart as well) since it requires kernel access to be installed.

That's mostly the basics. There's more technical information that is good to know but that should clear some doubts at least I hope

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. I do need to do some more reading. As far as I've been able to access CakeFW and Pasta, I've needed Ninjhax first to launch them (switching from sysNAND to emuNAND via Cake and installing FBI via Pasta). Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, or not explaining myself properly, but I'll make one last attempt.

I want to access my CFW (Cake preferably) in order to run CIAs ripped from personally owned 3DS cartridges. I'd like to do so without needing anything more than my N3DS and the microSD card inside of it. From what I can tell, using MSET seems to be my best bet. But guides on MSET and and using CFW the way I'd like to seem scarce for something as specific as I'm asking. I have homebrew, Cake, FBI, Pasta, and emuNAND installed on my N3DS on 9.0. I'm new, but not so new as to do no research before creating a thread. I just feel like what I'm asking I don't particularly know how to word in order to bring up the right threads in Google.

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's the Deal:

Ripped commercial games (Bakcups, CIAs, whatever) Are NOT homebrew.

As far as I know, you can NOT run/install these without a Gateway, SKy3DS, or Cubic Ninja with NinjHAX 1.0 (not 1.1).

Full "Softmod" (That is, ONLY with an SD card installed as you described) is only possible at 4.5.0, and you can not downgrade an N3DS.

And even then, only games made before 7.x work, as they have a different encryption system with can not be read by 4..5 handhelds.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Alright. I do need to do some more reading. As far as I've been able to access CakeFW and Pasta, I've needed Ninjhax first to launch them (switching from sysNAND to emuNAND via Cake and installing FBI via Pasta). Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, or not explaining myself properly, but I'll make one last attempt.

I want to access my CFW (Cake preferably) in order to run CIAs ripped from personally owned 3DS cartridges. I'd like to do so without needing anything more than my N3DS and the microSD card inside of it. From what I can tell, using MSET seems to be my best bet. But guides on MSET and and using CFW the way I'd like to seem scarce for something as specific as I'm asking. I have homebrew, Cake, FBI, Pasta, and emuNAND installed on my N3DS on 9.0. I'm new, but not so new as to do no research before creating a thread. I just feel like what I'm asking I don't particularly know how to word in order to bring up the right threads in Google.
If you don't know how to set up MSET, go to MaxConsole and find the thread "gateway ultra guide" or something like that, there will be a PDF linked which is a manual for getting Gateway started on the n3DS, follow it up to installing MSET (you don't need a gateway card) and check you can launch the gateway menu using the DS profile exploit. Cakes will have come with a nds file, all you have to do is run that and then you can launch it using the DS profile exploit rather than cubic ninja or the browser. This will then work forever until you play a DS game or fiddle with the profile settings.

I think this is what you are after.

Reactions: kontrolaltdelete

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you don't know how to set up MSET, go to MaxConsole and find the thread "gateway ultra guide" or something like that, there will be a PDF linked which is a manual for getting Gateway started on the n3DS, follow it up to installing MSET (you don't need a gateway card) and check you can launch the gateway menu using the DS profile exploit. Cakes will have come with a nds file, all you have to do is run that and then you can launch it using the DS profile exploit rather than cubic ninja or the browser. This will then work forever until you play a DS game or fiddle with the profile settings.

I think you meant this one: http://scmods.com/gw_guide/v3.2.1-New3DS.pdf

Reactions: Quantumcat

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yep. Saw that link. Missed the PDF. Thanks.

Here's the Deal:

Ripped commercial games (Bakcups, CIAs, whatever) Are NOT homebrew.

As far as I know, you can NOT run/install these without a Gateway, SKy3DS, or Cubic Ninja with NinjHAX 1.0 (not 1.1).

Full "Softmod" (That is, ONLY with an SD card installed as you described) is only possible at 4.5.0, and you can not downgrade an N3DS.

And even then, only games made before 7.x work, as they have a different encryption system with can not be read by 4..5 handhelds.

Yep. I'm tracking they're not homebrew mate. They're just my games, ripped for convenience, kept on my shelf. But I'm looking for a solution involving a multifaceted approach. However, I suppose that's a no-go as well, since "full softmod" as it were is DOA past 4.x. I'll keep digging, maybe fruitlessly. I have Cubic Ninja, and I have a Sky3DS, but the Sky is outdated for the New Animal Crossing and my wife loves her some Animal Crossing. So I'm going to purchase the game and find a way to get it to work, (minus most the hardware) and then tuck it away with the rest of my games on the shelf.

From what I gather - at this point in setting up my N3DS the way I want, MSET is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help, all. I know I'm a boneheaded n00b, and usually am great at figuring out how most hacks work, but the 3DS scene has had me stumped on more than one occasion. You guys have been pretty patient and understanding. So thanks for that.

Last edited by kontrolaltdelete,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o