shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
MUSIC FANS rejoice, those CDs that you spent so much money on years ago can soon be legally copied to a computer and music player.
This will be a relief to anyone that has an Ipod for example, but only two songs on it, or anyone that has ever - for example - used the rip a CD option in Windows Media Player.

The Government, which presumably has just bought the best of Punk or something, is readying a change in the law thanks to the sense making Hargreaves report, which looked at copyright laws in this country.

What this means is that currently you do not really own the content in the CDs that you once bought for as much as £15, regardless of how long you have had them or how many times you have listened to them.

The content, for now, still belongs to people like Paul McCartney, Celine Dion and a bunch of facelass music executives and rights holders. We can only assume that if we had ever dared to copy one of our CDs to an MP3 player, for example, at least one of them would turn up at the office bleating about their profits.

The Government's response to the Hargreaves Review and its recommendations seems to be one of agreement.

"The choice Prof. Hargreaves has outlined for the UK is clear: change now to make the most of our strong position or risk losing it through missed opportunities," says the response.

Announcing the adoption, the government Business Secretary, Vince Cable added, "The Government is focused on boosting growth and the Hargreaves review highlighted the potential to grow the UK economy. By creating a more open intellectual property system it will allow innovative businesses to develop new products and services which will be able to compete fairly in the UK's thriving markets for consumer equipment....

"We are accepting the recommendations and will now set about reforming the UK's intellectual property systems. Opening up intellectual property laws can deliver real value to the UK economy as well as the creators and consumers."

Changes include more than just a big okay to music ripping, they also include the right to create parody songs and plans to make it easier to free up orphaned works for future use. [/p]

arrow.gif
Source

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
_Chaz_ said:
I didn't know that this wasn't legal.
Nobody did/cared.

I did, and I cared just because of how ridiculous it is. Almost everybody since the tape recorder came out, and especially since the walkman, has been breaking the law without it really making any sense or knowing...

I didn't care in the it stopped me putting my LP's/CD's on tape, and defo didn't stop me ripping things to my HDD or make me feel bad about doing it.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the same token it was never made officially illegal. Copy right laws with CDs, DVDs, video games ect, aloud us in the us for years to make our own back-up for personal use. Has long as we retained owner ship of the original copy. So basically for us in the US there hasn't been a need for a law to make it officially legal.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It was never explicitly illegal but never fully legal. Companies COULD make a fuss but didn't as long as you didn't share it online (where potential thouasands of customers are "lost"
ohmy.gif
) because you'd still bought the music. Basically it was just a really vague area nobody cared about.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
shakirmoledina said:
for pirates it should be something like
QUOTE said:
Now you no longer have to worry about cops busting your home and arresting you for copyright infringement

I feel like we have lost who we are

That feeling isn't justified. Nothing has changed.

This is merely the removal of a law that was impossible to enforce.

The total rate of people who get caught and punished for Copyright infringement is, by my guess, probably less than 1% worldwide.
A law that almost every citizen of the world breaks regularily is just too big.
No one could ever handle it. Thus removing it is just a formality.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I didn't know that this wasn't legal.

Because you live in the US, and it's always been legal (under fair use law) in the US.

DVD ripping is another matter, thanks to encryption and the DMCA.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
@shoat if i am not mistaken, there are other rules like adultery that are illegal in countries.
I was actually to say that we pirates have forgotten we are pirates (gbatempers) because many of us try to stop others from pirating (sarcasm or irony)

probably more are punished but they are not known thru media etc.

BUT i agree, managing this law (and so many others) is impossible

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BTW, in Canada, it's completely legal to download copyrighted music for free off the Internet (and there even used to be a tax to make up for lost sales). So basically, paying for music is only voluntary up here (yet there are people I know who spend thousands of dollars on music when they could've legally got them all for free).
Well, at least the UK is stepping in the right direction. How's the MP3 copying laws in the US?

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Two years ago I had a class on copyright and this came up, everyone didn't really care and we moved on.
I imagined this happening, and I had to give in to my urge to laugh. Sorry. I think that is very funny.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm glad that the UK finally "got there" and sits proudly beside Poland in a hammock. Welcome to the freedom band, Norway and Switzerland are serving booze tonight.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, this better be legal, soon.
I never buy(Coke Rewards points don't count) music digitally. Pay the same price and not have the option for FLAC quality? No thanks.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Dann Woolf said:
Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Wait.

People still buy music?
I only buy albums from artists I like love.
Last two albums I bought was Ellie Goulding - Bright Lights and Kate Nash - My Best Friend Is You.

Edit: Actually when I bought Bright Lights, I downloaded the full iTunes rip from somewhere because of the iTunes festival tracks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?