Russia may legalize some forms of piracy to combat sanctions

Flag_of_Ukraine.jpg

In the aftermath of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, many companies in the West have stopped doing business with the country, including plenty of technology and software companies. Tech giants Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Adobe have pulled products and services from Russia, along with plenty of gaming companies, like Nintendo, Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive and Epic Games, just to name a few.

However, as reported by TorrentFreak, Russia may change its laws to waive all punishments for software piracy, as long as the software originates from a company that is supporting the sanctions on Russia, and no Russian equivalent exists. In a document titled "Priority Action Plan for Ensuring the Development of the Russian Economy in the Conditions of External Sanctions Pressure," the Ministry of Economic Development proposes a number of measures to lessen the impact of these sanctions. One idea under consideration, point 6.7.3, reads “Cancellation of liability for the use of software (SW) unlicensed in the Russian Federation, owned by a copyright holder from countries that have supported the sanctions.”

A similar item, 6.7.1, regards intellectual property rights, removing punishments for violating intellectual property when it comes to "rights to an invention, utility model, industrial design in relation to computer programs, databases, topologies of integrated circuits." CityAM, a business and financial newspaper based out of London, has reported that this measure has been approved, citing state-sanctioned newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta as its source. While this doesn't apply to software (the measure simply allows "Russian firms [...] to use innovations from unfriendly countries without paying to use the IP," as CityAM explains), if this measure has been passed, it's possibly 6.7.3 has been or will be soon. Of course, being a state-owned newspaper, any reports from Rossiyskaya Gazeta should be taken with a grain of salt. Similarly, according to gazeta.ru, Russian politician Dmitry Ionin has proposed unblocking certain torrent trackers in the country in response to Hollywood films not being released in the country. While it still appears to be blocked, and the report may be fraudulent, it would be an unprecedented move for the Russian government to make.

itch.io's Bundle for Ukraine is still available for the next six days. It contains nearly a thousand games and assets for just $10, and has raised over $4 million so far, with all proceeds going to charities to support Ukraine. It contains some popular games like SkateBIRD, SUPERHOT, Celeste and Towerfall: Ascension.

:arrow: Source

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This is fantastic news. This means we will all get even more sources for high quality pirated software/games/media, etc. Long live M0nkrus, Ratiboris, Fitgirl, and other Russian pirates!!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
We still pretending like legal piracy is enough to get Russians to stick around? They're fleeing to other countries almost as quickly as Ukrainians are. The vast majority of them alive today never experienced the USSR and aren't looking to find out what it's like.

Reactions: smf

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
as a human being, i hope russia gets strangled to death
Russian citizenry never asked for this war either, and in long-term, it already promises to ruin lives of innocent working-class Russians for generations to come - especially with such initiatives as cutting sick people off the medicine or disallowing them access to outside world. I fully stand behind the goal of stopping the war as soon as possible at any reasonable cost, but considering how a lot of these measures are pointless at best (banning Russian cats from competitions), break ethical boundaries at worst (aforementioned pharma proposal), border on cultural erasure (cancelling Russian paralympic athletes, e-sports players, anime animators, and even long-dead classical composers ) and are just scummy under pretense of virtue ( Sony refusing to refund PS+ to Russian players after disconnecting them ), I feel like the "human being" aspect of it flew out the window a long time ago.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: Snintendog

blakeana

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blazeana.neocities.org
XP
Country
Poland
Russian citizenry never asked for this war either, and in long-term, it already promises to ruin lives of innocent working-class Russians for generations to come - especially with such initiatives as cutting sick people off the medicine or disallowing them access to outside world. I fully stand behind the goal of stopping the war as soon as possible at any reasonable cost, but considering how a lot of these measures are pointless at best (banning Russian cats from competitions), break ethical boundaries at worst (aforementioned pharma proposal), border on cultural erasure (cancelling Russian paralympic athletes, e-sports players, anime animators, and even long-dead classical composers ) and are just scummy under pretense of virtue ( Sony refusing to refund PS+ to Russian players after disconnecting them ), I feel like the "human being" aspect of it flew out the window a long time ago.
nice essay but have you tried dividing the people from the state because every single of y'all putin stans want so hard to make me look like i want to nuke every russian out of this planet

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
nice essay but have you tried dividing the people from the state because every single of y'all putin stans want so hard to make me look like i want to nuke every russian out of this planet
That's kinda my point - that nobody seems to divide people from the state. Also, never voted for Putin and actively donated to OVD-Info, so I'm as far away from "putin stans" as a Russian can be.

blakeana

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blazeana.neocities.org
XP
Country
Poland
That's kinda my point - that nobody seems to divide people from the state. Also, never voted for Putin and actively donated to OVD-Info, so I'm as far away from "putin stans" as a Russian can be.
then stop actively using putin stan's narration against people who clearly are against the russian state

• Angry

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Also, never voted for Putin
That's kinda the problem, nobody did. One day he just declared himself god-king for life, and most Russians shrugged it off at the time. Now we're seeing the consequences of that.

I know relocating is tough, but I do hope you get out while you still can. The country is no longer safe for those that don't support the fuhrer. I hear Finland is nice though, and they are taking Russian refugees.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like the "human being" aspect of it flew out the window a long time ago.
That is what happens during war. If you empathize with the group who is dehumanizing you, then you lose. Every single time.

Imagine how WW2 would have ended if we'd all sat round and said "Mr Hitler, it must be terrible for you having to put up with jews, gypsies & the disabled".

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We can stop any time Putin wants. He is purposefully sending soldiers to murder innocent Ukrainians. We can argue about what is fair, when it's over.

There are plenty of Russians who support Putin. If anything the Russians who are now fleeing Russia have been done a favor.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Central... I might debate that. Big or otherwise key, different matter entirely.

As far as changing things then same reason the US fought tooth and nail for the Antigua thing when they did the same thing back in 2007 ( https://fastoffshore.com/2012/12/antigua-seeks-sanctions-against-us/ for a later summary with some other developments) or possibly the whole "we pay ROMs, the Russian RIAA equivalent, the required fee that was established as pretty much a radio broadcasting fee but somehow applies here therefore our MP3 selling site is legit" thing we saw with allofmp3/mp3search/... (for those unfamiliar they were sites, pretty much exclusively in English despite most there not having much English literacy https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/regions/europe/russia/ , that allowed users to pay a really low per song/album fee and download essentially any MP3 available within Russia, which included things itunes/apple, the then leading light in downloadable music and when DRM was still a thing for music, would have given their firstborn up for.). That is to say don't allow a foothold with a veneer of legitimacy or for the practice to become established.
I’ve been getting music from Russia for years, and for no fee. It’s like a joke on audiophile forums.

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then stop actively using putin stan's narration against people who clearly are against the russian state
I find those that back either of the 2 states ukraine or russia are horribly dis honest. Ukraine we have Mini Xi Jing Ping known to have executed those that tried to oppose his tyrannical reign in the FARCE that could be called a democracy by Arresting then executing his opponents then winning by default, enforcing communistic laws such as the state taking over all private business as state assets...Then we have Russia we already know that communist crap they pull.

Then we get you who prop one over the other. They are both communist dictator hell holes if they fight let them. Sanctioning Either of them is just Going to bite us in the ass did we not learn shit from history on WHY germany became the way it became for ww2?

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does this change anything? Russia is already de facto piracy central.
No company has ever really cared if some rando pirates their stuff. They only care if you're distributing/advertising these warez or if you're a business. This law is specifically meant for businesses to allow them to keep using productivity software, any piracy of entertainment products is coincidental. It doesn't excuse piracy if that product is still available for purchase so despite the clickbait piracy has not been made legal.

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the aftermath of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, many companies in the West have stopped doing business with the country, including plenty of technology and software companies. Tech giants Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Adobe have pulled products and services from Russia, along with plenty of gaming companies, like Nintendo, Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive and Epic Games, just to name a few.

However, as reported by TorrentFreak, Russia may change its laws to waive all punishments for software piracy, as long as the software originates from a company that is supporting the sanctions on Russia, and no Russian equivalent exists. In a document titled "Priority Action Plan for Ensuring the Development of the Russian Economy in the Conditions of External Sanctions Pressure," the Ministry of Economic Development proposes a number of measures to lessen the impact of these sanctions. One idea under consideration, point 6.7.3, reads “Cancellation of liability for the use of software (SW) unlicensed in the Russian Federation, owned by a copyright holder from countries that have supported the sanctions.”

A similar item, 6.7.1, regards intellectual property rights, removing punishments for violating intellectual property when it comes to "rights to an invention, utility model, industrial design in relation to computer programs, databases, topologies of integrated circuits." CityAM, a business and financial newspaper based out of London, has reported that this measure has been approved, citing state-sanctioned newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta as its source. While this doesn't apply to software (the measure simply allows "Russian firms [...] to use innovations from unfriendly countries without paying to use the IP," as CityAM explains), if this measure has been passed, it's possibly 6.7.3 has been or will be soon. Of course, being a state-owned newspaper, any reports from Rossiyskaya Gazeta should be taken with a grain of salt. Similarly, according to gazeta.ru, Russian politician Dmitry Ionin has proposed unblocking certain torrent trackers in the country in response to Hollywood films not being released in the country. While it still appears to be blocked, and the report may be fraudulent, it would be an unprecedented move for the Russian government to make.

itch.io's Bundle for Ukraine is still available for the next six days. It contains nearly a thousand games and assets for just $10, and has raised over $4 million so far, with all proceeds going to charities to support Ukraine. It contains some popular games like SkateBIRD, SUPERHOT, Celeste and Towerfall: Ascension.

:arrow: Source
what sanktions?

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Uhh...you realize the sanctions came after Putin invaded a peaceful sovereign nation and not before, right? Bear literally chose to step right into the bear trap.
You know that Ukraine is killing the ppl in Donbass the last 8 years right? "peaceful sovereign nation" yeah right

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You know that Ukraine is killing the ppl in Donbass the last 8 years right? "peaceful sovereign nation" yeah right
It's not like Donbas is in state of war for last 8 years after Euromaidan. Ukraine just shoot people there for fun. Lol.

Goebels is throwing up in his own grave after seeing that his own people fell for tricks he invented. 🤣

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again