1. Hello, this is my first public homebrew project.
    It's a port of re3 for the Nintendo Switch, a reverse engineered/decompiled version of GTA 3.

Source code: https://github.com/AGraber/re3-nx
    Original project (PC only for now): https://github.com/GTAmodding/re3

The re3 project is done by the people at GTAmodding/RockstarVision, a group of dedicated GTA modders. Most of the work for crossplatform ports was done by the original re3 team, including swapping out Windows stuff with OpenGL and GLFW. Using the GLFW ports for the Nintendo Switch (as well as other libraries used by the project) and stubbing or changing stuff that didn't play well on the switch, I was able to port it!

While it "officially" runs at [email protected] and [email protected], you can turn off the frame limiter which should give nice high framerates (some glitches might occur as the game was made for 30fps) - make sure to turn on frame sync (vsync). There can be occasional stutters. You can configure graphic options on the graphics setup menu. Settings are all the same like the PC version (except resolution which is always forced to the best resolution). You can rebind controls, configure audio, graphics, language, etc. Saves are stored on the userfiles folder.

You might want to configure the controls before hand as the defaults are a bit uncomfortable. Use "classic" controls instead of standard (option changeable by moving left/right), these are more suited for consoles.

You need to obtain the original files of the game legally for this to work! You can buy the game on Steam as well as in the Rockstar Games Official Site.

Quality of Life patches that aren't present in the PC version are already included, so there's no need to "support SilentPatch", a lot of patches and bugfixes are already included, even more than SilentPatch. If there are other bugs, they're probably new to the project or similar. In the end, everything is going to get fixed.

Downloads:
    GitHub Releases: https://github.com/AGraber/re3-nx/releases/latest

How to install:
    - Place re3.nro inside /switch/re3/ (so its path should look like /switch/re3/re3.nro) on your SD Card
    - Place GTA 3 PC files inside /switch/re3/ (not included with the downloads)
    - Create folder called userfiles inside /switch/re3/
    - (Optional but recommended) Extract gamefiles.zip into /switch/re3/

Troubles with audio:
    I received multiple reports about audio not working. This is because some releases of the game use a compressed format of WAV (IMA ADPCM), which doesn't seem to currently work, while I only tested uncompressed PCM. Compressed files would hurt performance a lot (it's decoded on the main thread, original gta 3 code) so it would stutter and hurt performance horribly even if I fixed it.

Because of this, I made a simple batch script to convert all the .wav files into a friendlier format:
    The steps to fix this are:
    - Copy all the original audio files to the switch like you normally would, into /switch/re3/audio, but not the .wav files.
    - Download the wav converter script: https://github.com/AGraber/re3-nx/releases/download/23092020/convert_gta3_audio.zip
    - Extract the contents into your GTA3 PC's audio folder
    - Run convert_audio_gta3.bat (might need to run as admin), this will create a new audio folder inside your GTA 3 PC's audio folder
    - Copy the contents of that new audio folder into /switch/re3/audio - the new wav files should end up next to the other non-wav audio files (mp3).

That should fix the audio problem.

Known issues:
    - The game might crash when trying to exit it - always try to exit it from the home menu so it crashes "safely".
    - The game might look weird and "double" when (un)docking it. If that's the case and you can't fix it with a restart, try going into graphics settings before starting the game and then changing the resolution to the one that you should use: 1280x720 for handheld, and 1920x1080 for docked. If it's seemingly already set, switch to the other one and then back to the one you should use. This should fix it.
    - It seems the game has trouble trying to create the userfiles folder by itself, preventing saves from working, so you'll have to manually create the userfiles folder, in /switch/re3/. After that saves should work.

I'll look into fixing these issues when I can.

So, that should be it. I'll be maintaining this for the foreseeable future if any serious issues arrive, and probably will try to make QoL improvements if possible.
    And again, HUGE shout out to the original re3 team: They did all the hard work of reverse engineering the entire game! Without them this wouldn't be possible.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

2. Discussion (357 replies)

3. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Epic man, really stoked to see this. Im sure everyone really appreciates your contribution here.

Do you know of any gameplay videos for the pc version? I tried searching but couldn't find any because of the generic name of the project.

Also, a small suggestion - Could you use human-readable versions for your releases moving forward? This one is 23092020-8dbc424 which is a bit hard to read/understand.

Last edited by iriez, Sep 24, 2020
  4. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

United Kingdom
    Great job! Thank you for your hard work and for sharing it here! :D

Megadriver94 and Graber like this.
  5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO

Mexico
    Amazing!
    Cannot believe we can now play GTA3 on Switch now.
    Will fire it up tomorrow first hour! :D

Stealphie, Mr. Looigi, Boesy and 3 others like this.
  6. Graber

OP Graber Member
    Newcomer

Ecuador
    Those are commit messages, not really intended for non-developers to read. This is the initial release so basically there's no changes other than the game ported to the Switch. If I do end up doing some changes I'll write about them on the release page for next release.

hartleyshc likes this.
  7. Oscillate

Oscillate Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    WOW! Thank you for the port, it's working flawlessly so far. Cannot wait for the vice city port that seems likely to happen. Would mods work on these ports since they use the PC files?

This is fantastic with a nsp forwarder and overclocking with sys-clk alleviates the stuttering.

Last edited by Oscillate, Sep 24, 2020
    DSwizzy likes this.
  8. octopus

octopus Custom Title

Somalia
    Great job, can't believe it!

For some reason it's not possible to rebind the controls to achieve Xbox-like configuration, on foot and in vehicle are not treated as separate entries, so it's not possible to, say, shoot on foot and accelerate in vehicle with RT.
    Stick movements are also not recognized as inputs.

Would it be possible to hardcode in a third control option that would match PS / Xbox controls?

Turning off the version string would be nice too.

9. cucholix
    This message by cucholix has been removed from public view by Joe88, Sep 25, 2020.
    Sep 24, 2020
  10. celestialyte

celestialyte Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I did the "Run convert_audio_gta3.bat" even as admin but nothing happens and no new audio folder was created

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  11. goncalodoom

goncalodoom GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    You must put those files inside the Audio folder and run the bat.

12. celestialyte

celestialyte Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    edit* works now, thanks

Last edited by celestialyte, Sep 24, 2020
  13. Memorable

Memorable Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    Thanks so much for your work and for this. I’ve followed the instructions you’ve provided while using the steam version of the game and atmosphere is crashing upon loading (the menu works fine but game will crash before getting in) - do we have any knowledge on this? Cheers.

EDIT: Updated atmosphere to latest and launched homebrew menu using full RAM, currently watching the intro cutscene. :D

Last edited by Memorable, Sep 24, 2020
  14. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd tried doing the audio and it was able to convert but problem is, the audio doesn't work at all... any clue what went wrong? I'd used my original PC CD copy of the game

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

15. WiiEJECT

WiiEJECT GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    For those who wants to create their own forward NSP, I made an icon you can use.

GTA3.png

16. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here
    Contributor

United States
    Awesome work! And thanks for the batch file to convert the audio files! Works great here!

[​IMG]

Boesy likes this.
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Forwarders don't seem to work with this. Unless im doing something entirely wrong, but a forwarder created with NRO2NSP just hangs on a black screen followed by a vague "the software was closed because an error occurred" screen

18. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here
    Contributor

United States
    Can forwarders run homebrew in app mode? May be the issue...

19. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

This homebrew runs fine in applet mode if that’s what you mean

Last edited Sep 24, 2020
    SonyUSA likes this.
  20. grabman

grabman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    forwarders work fine. It's how i like to run homebrew then i oc. I am on 10.2.0 so def works

lordelan and DodgyJudge like this.
  21. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Forgot to mention that saving and loading doesn't work, just to give a heads up

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

tpax likes this.
  22. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    pc files only? i can't rip a ps2 disc?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - engineered, Nintendo, Reverse