CD Projekt Red’s Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week - Tempcast #18

podcast_art_banner_smol-png.222446

The end of the year is usually barren in terms of gaming news. With all major consoles and games released, there's usually nothing to talk about other than sales data. However, CD Projekt Red (and GOG) continue dominating headlines with controversy after controversy. From epilepsy triggers to unplayable performance on base Playstation 4 and Xbox One, the controversies have led to CDP's stock price falling drastically and wide demand for refunds. Finally, the refund situation has led to the most unprecedented move this year - Sony taking down Cyberpunk 2077 from their online store entirely. Tune in this episode to hear the opinions of our Tempcast experts on the CD Projekt Red situation, plus a Nintendo Indie World recap at the end.

Theme by VinsCool and AlanJohn​

Also available on:
:arrow: Spotify
:arrow: Apple Podcasts
:arrow: Google Podcasts
:arrow: Breaker
:arrow: RadioPublic
:arrow: PocketCasts
:arrow: Anchor.fm
:arrow: Overcast
:arrow: Direct MP3 Download

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This was definitely rushed, and didn't tell me anything I did not know before.

Heck I don't think anything said in the podcast wasn't said in the previous podcast or in the forum.

Edit: I think that instead of following game news, you should do something else. I don't know, a special of "When HD remaster of games suck".

Or maybe "Is Christmas already? What game do I freaking get?"Edit 3: Never mind, there is tons of those.

Or "The twenry worst things to happen to Gamers in 2020" That last one should be made next months just you don't miss anything... if you do make it.

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: Tokiri and crea

DaveC1964

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game releases have been getting worse and worse. This isn't the only game to release unfinished. If you don't have a good internet connection, have data caps, or none at all you are screwed because everything is released a year too soon and then patched to hell and back. Worse yet is if you buy a physical console copy to own it you really don't have the finished version.

I have changed my habits to NOT buy a game day one and wait for the GOTY edition with all patches and DLC, AKA "the finished version". Even if there is no GOTY edition if I wait 6 months to a year it will at least just need one final patch to make the game the working version. Once you offset your schedule your backlog keeps you busy enough to not desire new releases.

Last edited by DaveC1964,
D

Deleted User

This game felt like it needed to be delayed and it should have been.

For the Developers: DO NOT RUSH YOUR PRODUCT REGARDLESS IF CUSTOMERS ARE IMPATIENT!

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

DaveC1964

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really?

Bad game releases are not a new thing.

E.T for example is quite infamous as the worst videogame ever made.

And was most likely released before you were ever born.
I am not talking about bad games, I am talking about unfinished buggy ones being pushed out way too soon in an unfinished state. Most games these days are unuseable unless you first go online and wait for gigs of fixes to download. It is irritating.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I am not talking about bad games, I am talking about unfinished buggy ones being pushed out way too soon in an unfinished state. Most games these days are unuseable unless you first go online and wait for gigs of fixes to download. It is irritating.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial was made by a single developer who was given only five weeks to make it so that it would make it in time for Christmas. As such, it was an utter mess. It was a confusing, unintuitive, ugly-looking game that bore no resemblance to the movie it was based on. The backlash from this was so bad that a completely different version of this game planned for the Atari 5200 was aborted. Atari, figuring they had a license to print money, made more copies of this game than there were consoles. When the inevitable happened, Atari simply dumped millions of them in a landfill in New Mexico - TV Tropes

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial was made by a single developer who was given only five weeks to make it so that it would make it in time for Christmas. As such, it was an utter mess. It was a confusing, unintuitive, ugly-looking game that bore no resemblance to the movie it was based on. The backlash from this was so bad that a completely different version of this game planned for the Atari 5200 was aborted. Atari, figuring they had a license to print money, made more copies of this game than there were consoles. When the inevitable happened, Atari simply dumped millions of them in a landfill in New Mexico - TV Tropes
And of course, as time's gone on, the thing that's improved the most is the amount of different ways a game can screw up disastrously!
(Cyberpunk 2077's name is more indicative of its number of controversially large problems than its setting at this point!)

nani17

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
They overdid it. They tried to make a game in a new setting for them on far too many systems. This was their first try at an open world GTA style game and again overdid it

PS4
PS4 Pro
PS5
xbox one
xbox one X
Xbox series X
Xbox Series S
Stadia
PC

They should have done what Rockstar has done in the past but the other way around. They should have focused solely on the PC version of the game and a year or two later moved it over to the next-gen systems. This is why you didn't see GTAV or rdr2 for over a year on PC.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They overdid it. They tried to make a game in a new setting for them on far too many systems. This was their first try at an open world GTA style game and again overdid it

PS4
PS4 Pro
PS5
xbox one
xbox one X
Xbox series X
Xbox Series S
Stadia
PC

They should have done what Rockstar has done in the past but the other way around. They should have focused solely on the PC version of the game and a year or two later moved it over to the next-gen systems. This is why you didn't see GTAV or rdr2 for over a year on PC.

Honestly? This is what a lot of games should start doing. I remember back in the early 2000's, Deus Ex (as in, the OG) was exclusive to PC. You couldn't get it on a console until a company ported it to the PS2, and it was bad; less enemies in a room, more frequent loading to accommodate for the PS2 hardware, and just a whole host of problems that made it clear that PC gaming was simply too far ahead of consoles in hardware capabilities. Like, Unreal Tournament 2003 was ported to the OG Xbox as Unreal Championship, and then they just put a "made-for-consoles" sequel featuring Raiden, and of whom's assets are nowadays available to be used in UT2K4.

Btw, Deus Ex is somewhat prophetic...

nani17

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Honestly? This is what a lot of games should start doing. I remember back in the early 2000's, Deus Ex (as in, the OG) was exclusive to PC. You couldn't get it on a console until a company ported it to the PS2, and it was bad; less enemies in a room, more frequent loading to accommodate for the PS2 hardware, and just a whole host of problems that made it clear that PC gaming was simply too far ahead of consoles in hardware capabilities. Like, Unreal Tournament 2003 was ported to the OG Xbox as Unreal Championship, and then they just put a "made-for-consoles" sequel featuring Raiden, and of whom's assets are nowadays available to be used in UT2K4.

Btw, Deus Ex is somewhat prophetic...

It makes it much easier on the devs. It's extremely hard to make a game like GTA without getting compared to it if you know what I mean. Rockstar has been at this for so many years now. I don't see this game being fixed for several months and the talk about a standalone multiplayer doesn't make it easier

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes it much easier on the devs. It's extremely hard to make a game like GTA without getting compared to it if you know what I mean. Rockstar has been at this for so many years now. I don't see this game being fixed for several months and the talk about a standalone multiplayer doesn't make it easier

Ugh...multiplayer in a singleplayer game...

...you know, there's a reason that Unreal Tournament came after Unreal, and Unreal II is separate from UT2K3 and UT2K4.

It's like with Mighty No. 9; they put in effort in places people could care less. Voice acting? No one cares because it was shit back in the 90's, just have better expressions with text for the first game and put more effort into making the game look and play good on the systems that were going to be mainstream when the game comes out. Multiplayer? Make it later, and make it something separate from the game itself, don't delay the game for it. Most of the Beckers didn't buy a Megaman game for multiplayer

nani17

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Ugh...multiplayer in a singleplayer game...

...you know, there's a reason that Unreal Tournament came after Unreal, and Unreal II is separate from UT2K3 and UT2K4.

It's like with Mighty No. 9; they put in effort in places people could care less. Voice acting? No one cares because it was shit back in the 90's, just have better expressions with text for the first game and put more effort into making the game look and play good on the systems that were going to be mainstream when the game comes out. Multiplayer? Make it later, and make it something separate from the game itself, don't delay the game for it. Most of the Beckers didn't buy a Megaman game for multiplayer

Yes, they have mentioned a standalone multiplayer. It reminds me of Assassins creed a game that got multiplayer and it really didn't need it at all. Would you even play the multiplayer if it was similar to GTA online?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes such examples exist in the pre-modern era of multimillion dollar AAA games, but as far as modern AAA multimillion dollar budget games they are being released earlier with more bugs

Part of this is the pre-orders and the other part is patches - patches make it possible to fix any mistake or bug eventually taking away most of the burden of releasing a buggy mess

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes such examples exist in the pre-modern era of multimillion dollar AAA games, but as far as modern AAA multimillion dollar budget games they are being released earlier with more bugs

Part of this is the pre-orders and the other part is patches - patches make it possible to fix any mistake or bug eventually taking away most of the burden of releasing a buggy mess

But not all, if you blew it badly enough you get a disaster.

Are people playing Fallout 76 at all?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They haslve dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works