Switch OLED HACKED? Switch Online Expansion, Sega Saturn Emulator Found & more - Tempcast #61

tempcast-169-logo-png.246523
In this week's mediocre but thankfully short episode, we discuss the few things that happened this week in regards to the Switch. Specifically, the price reveal for the Switch Online "expansion pack" being as disappointing as this podcast. If you have a Switch OLED and want to play N64 games at a reasonable price - you might just be in luck, for it seems the new model has the same vulnerabilities as the previous one. But what if you're more of a Sega Saturn type of person? Thankfully, we discuss in this episode how a fully functional emulator for the system was found in a recent Switch release. Finally, we touch upon the Metroid Dread credits controversy and Steam banning NFTs.

Theme by VinsCool and AlanJohn​

Also available on:
:arrow: Spotify
:arrow: Apple Podcasts
:arrow: Google Podcasts
:arrow: Breaker
:arrow: RadioPublic
:arrow: PocketCasts
:arrow: Anchor.fm
:arrow: Overcast
:arrow: Direct MP3 Download

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was interesting to listen to. Probably too many F words for your own good. It makes you guys lose some credibility, somehow, although they got beeped out. Did you censor the podcast yourself, or Google Podcasts has a detection algorithm for bad words?

Reactions: Chary and relauby

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"if they are doing well why do they need our support..."

why do [well known] devs do Kickstarter

I've been coming to this site since the DS LTE (contrary to my account dates) and it is the best independent gaming site imo; I mention it to lots of appropriate poss. readers.

"Thank you to our audience listening to GBA Temp Podcast... all three of you
lol

Reactions: Chary

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard about people angry at the...online expansion? All I can say is that I don't need to play old games on fancy hardware with fancy interfaces that'll probably cost you...whatever ridiculous price you want to say.

That's why I keep my modded Wii and play them there to save an arm and a leg. I know not everyone kept their Wii or can even mod it, I just want to make a point.

Reactions: Redhorse

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hang on, you want death threats? OK. Ericzander. I'm am going to smother you. With hugs.

As for the modchip, I think you are all spot on: it's tedious to open up a switch, solder the chip (at tiny solder points) and then the hassle of having to apply new thermal paste when assembling it. And that is assuming one can even get hold of a modchip, which will also cost far more than an rcmloader. So this form of hacking will never be so widespread that Nintendo cares to spend molah trying to fix it.

That being said, the SX modchips are just classic power glitching. The best Nintendo could do is to try to remove testpoints and/or make them harder to access. But they could never 100% prevent anyone from working around it: some small updates to the modchip, probably just updating the signal timings will be enough.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
How can this be a GBATemp podcast and you are reading the Saturn emulator news from other website, when it was first posted here and it has been the hottest thread of the week 🤣
We're super ashamed of this situation and will be addressing it on next week's episode.

Last edited by AlanJohn,

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Was interesting to listen to. Probably too many F words for your own good. It makes you guys lose some credibility, somehow, although they got beeped out. Did you censor the podcast yourself, or Google Podcasts has a detection algorithm for bad words?
Imagine all the F-bomb that dropped Miyamoto when they told him that the thing was hacked in 48hrs from the release ... I can picture the Kansai-ben overflow ...

Reactions: Dust2dust

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
We're super ashamed of this situation and will be addressing it on next week's episode.
It's easy! Just don't f****** swear! ... Oh s***.

Anyway, I don't care about curses. But then I listen with headphones. I seem to remember some episode where all censor beeps were off by a second. Or maybe that's just my tired mind making stuff up?

• Haha
Reactions: codezer0

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
It's easy! Just don't f****** swear! ... Oh s***.

Anyway, I don't care about curses. But then I listen with headphones. I seem to remember some episode where all censor beeps were off by a second. Or maybe that's just my tired mind making stuff up?
Oh I'm sorry, I quoted the wrong post in my reply. I was talking about how we missed the Sega Saturn emulator being found on GBAtemp.

Nobody is ashamed of swearing on the Tempcast and nobody will be addressing it next week lmao

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh I'm sorry, I quoted the wrong post in my reply. I was talking about how we missed the Sega Saturn emulator being found on GBAtemp.

Nobody is ashamed of swearing on the Tempcast and nobody will be addressing it next week lmao
This. This just made my day.:lol:

Also I think you said you've 100%ed Dread? How long did that take you? I'm almost at 100% after about 10 hours of gameplay. I've actually enjoyed going back through the levels more now that I don't have to worry about bosses and emmis... but man that scan pulse really is necessary sometimes (just seeing random blue blocks blinking far out "outside" the levels...). At least getting some proper old-school shinespark challenges was great.

I never hardmoded by GBA to play Nintendo 64 games... maybe I should.
Just remember to overclock it.;)
(... actually that was a thing back in the days, that and boosting the audio volume... ah simpler times...)

Reactions: relauby

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over