Hacking CATSFC released

Decooter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it, this is supposed to make SMRPG playable, but even with CPU Frequency set to 5, and fast forward on, and sound off, it took about 10 minutes to get through the intro scene, at about .5 fps, then walking around inside the castle was a little laggy but decent enough, but entering a battle slowed way down to about 1fps and took a good 10 seconds before i was in battle. Also when I did enable sound, when I would enter a battle there would be a loud beeping noise, and no music. Just the sounds of Mario punching.

It hardly seems playable, I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if this is the best it gets? Because this is not playable imo.

EDIT: Please excuse me, I meant to add that I really appreciate your work, and every other title I've tried works very well! I am not trying to be ungrateful, sorry if it seems that way!

Decooter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadauxCat said:
"Playable" there is defined as "it doesn't suddenly go black and stop doing anything when you enter battle," which is what BAGSFC did.

Ah ok. Again, sorry if I seemed like a jerk. I meant to put in first that I really like CATSFC and it works great for everything I've tried except SMRPG.

I'm a little disappointed that SMRPG doesn't run as smoothly as I thought it would, but just that fact that it runs is an accomplishment. Do you think there's room for improvement, or is it limited by the hardware in DSi mode and/or the CPU in SCDS2, and I will just have to wait till someone releases a 3DS flash card?

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm continuing to work on implementing speed hacks, but it's just not going very well. My latest attempt has left the emulator at a point where it won't even boot, and since the DSTWO lacks features like GDB, it's incredibly difficult to find where it's crashing in the massive amount of code I have to go through here. As I've said before, this is the first time I've ever tried to make an emulator before... and in all honesty I may not be good enough to do the speed hacks.

It would probably help if I knew anything at all about assembly language or about the SNES's hardware, which I don't. I honestly never thought I'd accomplish anything trying to modify BAGSFC, so I was pleasantly surprised when something actually came out of it. XD

PaullyG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This emulator is becoming really really nice, many thanks to your and BassAceGold's previous efforts.

Appreciate the work, so far everything I've wanted to play has run nicely, will drop a post if I come across anything worth noting.

Thanks again, further DSTWO development is always greatly appreciated.

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to give a thank you for everyone who donated to me earlier. It was really wonderful and definitely very helpful! If anyone is wondering, my job situation has been resolved - I just got hired at BioWare Austin and will begin working on Star Wars: The Old Republic next Monday. Wish me luck, everyone!

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ShadauxCat said:
Just wanted to give a thank you for everyone who donated to me earlier. It was really wonderful and definitely very helpful! If anyone is wondering, my job situation has been resolved - I just got hired at BioWare Austin and will begin working on Star Wars: The Old Republic next Monday. Wish me luck, everyone!
Whoah, that's awesome. Congratulations!
smile.gif

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
ShadauxCat said:
Cool, glad to hear that.
smile.gif
Sounds like you got an interesting job too, at that.

D

Deleted-236924

Terminator02 said:
make sure to give us all the juicy inside secrets
ninja.gif
You think he'd want to be able to keep his job, but no, obviously he has to risk his job to leak inside secrets.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Congratulations ShadauxCat on your new job! I'm just wondering, does this mean that CATSFC is officially scrapped now? Would be hard to imagine having any free time to work on this now that you're working for a major game company.

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I'm in the process of moving right now. I'm now in Austin, just got an apartment and I'm moving into it tomorrow. I start work on the 11th and I'm not going to try to get any work done on this until I'm well settled into my job.

Ryvaeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder why it's so easily overlooked that ShadauxCat isn't a guy.

Congratulations, ShadauxCat! It's really great that you're getting your priorities in order. Take care of yourself first before coming back to this project. After all, if you're worked to the bone and have nothing to give, everyone will only complain about having nothing to get.

Bree500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Must be a luxury to change the audio, video, stylus on games.

Shadauxcat, you think you can fix mike tyson punchout for NES, the video is very choppy. I use the nesDS emulator.

For snes, Nigel Mansel world championship racing. This game doesn't even load up.

If you could fix those, that would be great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWZq1S9x0g +1